You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Haunted By Grandpa

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted By Grandpa

 

First off I've never really been one to believe in the supernatural or even the paranormal. All of it seemed a little immature to me.

My experience happened a few years back right after my grandfather passed away. It was around 4:30 in the morning and I was asleep in my mom and step-dad's fifth wheel (I slept on the couch which made into a bed). Anyways, while I was sleeping I kept hearing the front door rattle. Not thinking anything of it as the slightest wind makes a fifth wheel feel like it's blowing 90 mph outside, I went back to sleep.

A few moments later I heard the door rattle again, this time a little harder. So only being in my early 20's at the time I got scared and threw the blanket over my face. The rattling stopped.

As I uncovered my face and slowly started to go back to sleep, I kept hearing a voice calling my name and then the front door opened. At that time I couldn't move I was scared and I was trying to scream out but nothing was coming out.

In the frame of the door I saw a man standing there he was in his overalls and white tee shirt. I knew immediately that it was my grandfather. That's all he ever wore. I was really close to him and it devastated me when he passed. So as he was standing there, he kept telling me, "K, I'm ok. Everything is going to be ok".

The next day when I tried to tell my mom and step-dad what had happened, all I got from them was "it's all in your head". I haven't discussed this with anyone as I actually believed that it was all in my head since I had just lost one of the most important people in my life. And since that night I haven't seen my grandfather.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, tuckandroll, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-22)
It was incredibly sweet of him to arrive and reassure you. You're very lucky.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-20)
Greetings, Tuck.

I do not doubt your experience; my mother & aunt had simultaneous similar experiences, 35 miles apart, a week after my Grandmother died. Your narrative is a simple one, and you've not tried to dress it up as anything outrageous.

Take comfort in your grandfather's message; dealing with the death of a loved one takes about three years, on average, to process all of the emotions: longer if the relationship was close.

Your mother and stepfather were trying to rationalize your experience, probably for your comfort as well as their own. That would be a great approach if feelings were rational, dreams were rational, ideas and expectations were rational (you can see where this is headed)... You may find solace in the psychological approach to this experience: you were in pain and turmoil until your brain invented the episode in order to give you a starting point for healing. You may discover an afterlife -perhaps a faith- through this supernatural experience: your grandfather was concerned for your wellbeing and his spirit/soul visited you. His death may have come as a complete surprise to him, or it may have been the release from an illness (you didn't specify in the narrative), but he was able to accept his mortality and he knew you'd need that information before you could accept the sense of loss.

Either way, this visitation stresses the positive point that you are a person who feels pain, but who will move past the pain to and feel 'whole' again.

It will take time to become accustomed to the sense of loss, but working through those feelings is worth the effort. You are sad he's gone; you will be glad you spent time becoming friends with him.

Take good care of yourself,

-Biblio.
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-19)
Well, I huess it's good to know that your grandpa is still around and that he is okay. 😊
Thank you for sharing your experiance and welcome to YGS.
WiniPu4 (207 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-19)
Hello:
You are indeed very fortunate to have physically witnessed your grandfather after his passing. I'm sure it took a great deal of effort on his part, but something he felt would comfort you as well as offering you proof of an existence after this life.
Count this as a huge blessing, and thank your grandfather!
Kind Regards,
Lynev
tuckandroll (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-18)
Miracles51031. Thank you for your comment. I do understand what your saying lol. 😊
tuckandroll (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-18)
Thank you for your comments and after reading your comment wish-not I totally agree with the "Blessed With a Visit By Grandpa" thank you again. 😁
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-03-18)
tuckandroll - I guess I should have proofed my comment before hitting submit. Sheesh LOL I intended to say, reassure you that he was okay, and at the same time because of this, assuring that you were going to be okay.

Don't know if that makes sense even after trying to explain myself 😆
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-03-18)
tuckandroll - thank you for sharing this with us. Family visits are some of my favorite stories 😊

I don't think it was all in your head. I believe your grandpa did exactly what he intended; to reassure you that he was okay ❤ 😊
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-18)
tuckandroll- Welcome to YGS. I feel it was your grandfather. And he was there just to let you know "everything is going to be ok". That is actually a blessing to experience. One should feel fortunate for the visit. Which to me would be a different title, "Blessed With a Visit By Grandpa".

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: