You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Lady In The Rocking Chair

Real Ghost Stories

The Lady In The Rocking Chair

 

I was about 7-8 years old. Me and my family had just moved to Highland Park, California. From the first time I set foot into that apartment I felt strange, as if tho someone was watching me. At that age I had already experienced the paranormal before so I didn't really pay it too much mind.

One night I woke up out of my sleep; I was used to sleeping with my blanket completely covering my head and leaving a tiny hole for my nose and mouth so I could breath because I was always afraid of what I might see. When I woke up that night, I peeked through that hole and there she was... This woman that was shining so bright! She had this white glow that I had never seen before and never have seen again since that night. She had on a long white dress. She was sitting in the middle of my bedroom in a rocking chair, rocking back and forth, reading a book. I couldn't see her face because she was facing the closet door.

I closed my eyes really tight and I began to sweat profusely. I don't know why but I never screamed. I started praying and asking God to please send that spirit away. Even though I had the blanket over my head I could still see that white glow so I tried turning my back to it. When I did that I think I must have infuriated the spirit because all I could hear was heavy foot steps running back and forth in my room and loud "thuds" against my bedroom walls as if tho it was hitting the walls.

I kept praying and then my Mom walked in and turned the lights on. She asked me what was going on and what all that noise was. I told her what I saw and she just hugged me, she was so used to me telling her the things that I would see and feel that she didn't know what to say to me anymore.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Venni, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Anamari (1 posts)
+2
3 months ago (2024-01-19)
Your experience is similar to my own. I was about 4 when I saw a glowing old woman in a chair. Not sure if it rocked. I just remember waking up to her staring at me by the side of my bed and I would put the covers over my head and peek through. I had no knowledge of God at the time so I didn't pray.
ShilRoy13 (10 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-05-03)
Omg! Such a frightening experience. Did you try to look into the history of that apartment?
elnoraemily (guest)
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-29)
I am blown away by Biblio's comment, in both the layout and the questions.

I will just second what was said by Biblio.
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-29)
Venni, did you ever see her again? The brightness of her light sounds like she had some intense energy about her. I would have expected more sightings. Just wondering.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-29)
lol, The English teacher strikes again.

Venni, when you're done with Biblio's questions. Could you satisfy my curiosity by answering a couple of mine?
Just cause I'm curious 'n stuff.

1 Was the lady, if you remember, transparent or completely solid in appearance?

2 With hindsight can you, or did you, get an idea of her age, the style of clothing she wore and the style of the rocking chair? (Might help narrow down her era.)

Would also like to know what your mum heard that evening.
Thanks for sharing, take care.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-29)
Hello, Venni.

Normally, I'd begin with some skeptical questions about electrical wiring, hot water pipes, etc., but I have a few more pressing questions about your perceptions (spiritual/extra-sensory) and about the spirit you witnessed as a child (with the corroborating data you provided about your mother's reactions).

1a. Your statement, "I'd already experienced the paranormal," is lacking some details; in what way do you *normally* have such experiences? Was this apartment, this apparition, upsetting because it departed from your more familiar expectations of the paranormal? Do you normally "feel" the atmosphere, see shadows/blurs, see solid apparitions, hear voices, or some combination of these? Was this different in that the experience was prolonged or sequential?
1b. You describe your mother's reassuring hug with the clarification, "she was so used to me (sic.: "my") telling her the things I would see and feel that she didn't know what to say to me." What kind of supportive advice/reassurance/counseling had she provided in the past, or sought from a spiritual advisor/minister?

2a. Did the feeling of being watched seem sinister to you as a child because a stranger was watching you, or do you think it was the intent of the watcher to be sinister or harmful? (Take a moment to think that through before responding; you're no longer a frightened child in an unfamiliar setting, so you can take a step back from the normal feelings of fear which protect children from unknown dangers.)
2b. Why do you think the entity was facing the closet door? Surely if it had some evil scheme to frighten you, she would have been looking in your direction? Was the closet scary to you? (Mine was at that age!) Was she watching you, or watching over you? Was her banging the walls a reaction to being evicted from her home, or was she frustrated that her attempts to protect you were thwarted by your prayers?

3a. Was your mother's entering the room because of the banging, your screaming a prayer, or didn't she tell you to which "noise" she referred? Did she ever tell you what she saw/felt/experienced when she entered? For example, had the banging dislodged any pictures, knocked over your toys, etc.? Was there a distinct temperature difference in the room, or a "feeling" she noticed at the time?
3b. If your mother is still available to discuss this incident (I wish neither to pry, nor to presume), how much of it does she remember? Does she know of any other family members who have had experiences similar to yours? Did she have any 'gifts' of her own, had they skipped a generation, had she suppressed them in an effort to be "religious," or did your abilities come from your father's side?

I would love to see some details in response to questions 1 & 2, but the questions in 3 are more for your own peace of mind.

Thanks for sharing this experience with us.

Take care,
-Biblio

P.S.: I am truly sorry if you were offended by my correcting your grammar in the quote (1b). It's an English teacher's occupational hazard when quoting from a source, plus my OCD was screaming to correct it! (The website frequently "corrects" capital letters, and I had to remove the dots from "OCD" because it re-capitalizing "Was" every time I undid the "correction.")
P.P.S.: We are here because we've had experiences, we're curious about supernatural phenomena, we have questions which can't be answered through conventional means, or we feel validated by others having been in similar situations or taking our narratives seriously, but trouble-shooting the events. "Shiz98" asserted that "it's a fact that 7-8 (-) year (-old) children have maximum power to see a ghost." I would disagree with the use of the word 'fact' in any such circumstances; 'some believe,' 'traditionally, we associate," or "it seems" would be much more accurate. If we had incontrovertible facts as evidence, we would not need this civilized forum for inquiry and suggestions.
shiz98 (5 stories) (28 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-29)
Its a fact that 7-8 year children have maximum power to see a ghost... What you saw can't be a dream as your mom too heard noises... Maybe that particuar room was haunted...
😕
rolltide8925 (5 stories) (16 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-28)
If this person's mom asked what was going on the person might not have been unless they woke up screaming or something. If that's not the case then what they saw was definitely something odd. Did you ever try to find out any history of the apartment?
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-28)
Hmm...Well Venni, I think whatever you had saw that night, may be you was you was dreaming.

Regards

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: