You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Items :: The Rocking Swing

Real Ghost Stories

The Rocking Swing

 

I had a paranormal experience that I shared on this site 5 or 6 years ago (I think the title was "The Thing By The Shed). I was cleaning up around my storage shed and bent over to pick something up when I saw something that looked like a stick laying on a cement pad. I didn't look directly at it but when I reached down whatever this thing was popped into an arc-like shape and made a cracking sound at the same time. Then it seemed to jump under the storage shed, which is on piers. I was like WTH just happened? I ran to get a flashlight but when I returned I didn't see anything under the shed. To this day I have no clue whatsoever as to what that was. But after that nothing strange happened at my house until 2 years ago.

We had a large covered swing we had bought from Lowe's in our yard and one day I was walking towards the swing when it started swinging very hard all by itself. It swung about 3 times and stopped. For some reason I pretended that nothing had happened as I walked by. I don't know if I ignored it thinking that I didn't want whatever it was that caused it to swing to know that I was acknowledging it or if I just wasn't surprised after the first experience several years earlier. Anyway, nothing else happened until several months later. One day I was walking towards the swing and it did the EXACT same thing! Again I pretended not to notice but inside I was pretty stoked! I'm hoping it was the spirit of my elderly neighbor who I was close to that had passed away about 10 years ago. I feel like she was letting me know that she was watching over us. If it wasn't her then I'm thinking maybe it was another spirit that was just passing through. I don't know...

But what does worry me sometimes is that we buy a lot of antique and vintage items and figure one day we will buy something with a Spirit attached to it.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LuckySOB, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-02-25)
Greetings, LuckySOB, and welcome back.

The original submission you mentioned was titled "The Thing By My Shed." Here's the link for anyone interested: https://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=24023

While it is possible that random breezes could be responsible for *starting* the swing moving, they definitely wouldn't account for the fact that the swing abruptly stopped. Did your elderly neighbor sit in the swing when visiting you, or is this piece of furniture a more recent acquisition? As the repetition of the event was several months after the first experience, I'd suggest that it is not merely a transient spirit "that was just passing through" but something/someone with a vested interest in you or in your property.

Best,
Biblio.
The_Lost_Voyage_11 (7 stories) (238 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-02-12)
Hello LuckySOB, great story and thanks for sharing. The 'moving stick' you saw was intriguing, I wonder if it was paranormal or something natural. We have an insect around here, oversized that actually looks like a small stick, but it's not, however it doesn't move anywhere near as fast as you describe.

I believe you are spot on about the swing. From most of the stories and encounters I've read about, 3 seems to be the magic number. 3 knocks, 3 raps, lights flickering 3 times, just as your swing moved 3 times. It seems to almost be a universal spirit contact number. If your neighbor was the first to pop into your head, go with that, first instinct is usually right!
Rachel9997 (4 stories) (27 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-02-08)
Such a big movement like you described with the swing can certainly be a way for a spirit to get your attention. If you were very close to your neighbor, it could absolutely be her. I would try to communicate with it, taking the proper precautions of course, if you really think it might be her. Best of luck if you do try! 😁
CantunSEEit74 (4 stories) (58 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-02-08)
Crazy interesting stick encounter, that is off the hook. We have looked at Lowe's swings and are not easily moved 3 feet back and forth. Do you sit in swing often or do you avoid it. I would definitely be talking around the swing as if I were talking to my passed elderly neighbor or when sitting in the swing. Reminding her of her kindness and her impact on you. That spirit really needed your attention. If this is my past neighbor please move the swing. If you lived in my home please move the swing. If you are related to me please move the swing. I would have to find out good or bad.
LuckySOB (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-02-08)
Hi
Rajine!
There was no breeze on either day and as hard as the swing moved it would have had to have been very strong winds. It was as if someone had stood next to the swing and started moving it back and forth about 3 feet in each direction. It did it about 3 times and just stopped. It was hard to keep from showing how startled I really was!
Rajine (14 stories) (769 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-02-08)
Hi LuckySOB

Do you think perhaps that stick thing could be some sort of creature? The swing incident is intriguing, I'm assuming that there wasn't a breeze or it wasn't windy when you experienced that?
GingerRead (16 stories) (33 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-02-07)
Hello and thank you for your interest in my story. I hope to do the same when I visit the Catacombs in Paris!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: