You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Seventh Housemate

Real Ghost Stories

The Seventh Housemate

 

My story begins around late August, when five friends and I moved into a large old rental house across from our campus. It was perfect, like an undergraduate funhouse. Spacious, cheap, interesting, great for hosting the usual slew of college parties, six bedrooms so that we each got our own space. The layout of the house is four stories; there's a basement (which is extremely creepy), a second floor with four bedrooms (all of the girls, including myself, are on this floor), and an upstairs that looks like it was a former servants quarters (two guys stay up here). Needless to say, this place is pretty dated. It's at least turn of the century, but my dad thinks more mid 1800s. Our living room doesn't even have light fixtures and there's no garbage disposal in the sink, but previous owners put in some updates. The security system_ which is the focal point of this story_ was one of these modern conveniences. The security system not only tells us if the door gets broken down; whenever anyone opens the front or the back door, an automated voice will say "Front/ Back door Open." We go to college in a city that is pretty rough, and our living area is right on the fringes of the ghetto. We've all heard gunshots one time or another from campus, and cars get broken into frequently. This system let\'s us all feel a little more at ease in our daily routines.

It's funny how something that should give you peace of mind can do quite the opposite.

Fast forward to about a month ago. It was Christmas break, and only one other roommate (I'll call him Mike) and myself were in town. The night "the occurrence" happened was somewhere between Christmas day and New Year's. I'd been working a lot of evening shifts at a nursing home in town (see other story), so I didn't see home until 10 pm a lot of the time. I don't like being alone at this place much at night. Still don't. That being said, I was spending a lot of post-work time at a friend's apartment to avoid being creeped out for hours by myself. On this night, I didn't have work and it was early evening, so I was messing around down stairs, cooking and listening to loud music. That's when I got the little gut feeling. I get it here and there_ even to this day_ when I'm by myself downstairs at night. It's a feeling that someone's watching, but more than that. If I could really and honestly sum it up, it's like you're a kid and a parent is telling you to go to your room. Not mean. Not scary. Not threatening. However, it's very commanding and eerie. Territorial even. It doesn't like me being downstairs in its space. There's been several nights where I'm laughing at something stupid on reddit, and the feeling sets in so jarringly that I just close my computer and walk upstairs. I generally try to reason it as vestigial animal fear at aloneness; just a natural reaction to being by oneself at night, but deep down I get the feeling there's more to it.

This night, I decided to be bold and chastise "it" as an experiment. I was messing in the living room when I started to feel uneasy so I called out, "Look, I know you don't like me down here. I'm leaving in a bit though, so if you could not breathe down my neck, that'd be cool. Leave me alone for now, and you'll get the place to yourself here in a few hours." Right after I said this, I got a really tight feeling in my chest and a strange sensation hit me. Like being light headed and floaty feeling and breathing became slightly harder. I tried to ignore it but it was strange and my friends were gathering early so I left soon after.

Several hours pass, and I walk home. I won't omit the fact that I'd been drinking. As a young adult in college, a lot of those break nights were nights I'd spent out on the town or having kickbacks with friends. I was not on drugs though. Nothing that could cause me to hallucinate. I wasn't fall down-puking intoxicated either. I was still able to get home and do my bedtime routine before I laid down in bed. As I was trying to fall asleep, I was flitting through my groggy thoughts and listening to the old house's sounds... Sounds that I was already pretty familiar with at this time. That's when I heard something that was familiar but entirely out of place: the foot steps of someone walking around downstairs with a dog. One of the housemates has a dog, so I know what it sounds like when they're downstairs. She and the dog were in her hometown at the time, however, and she later concurred that she hadn't been back to the house since she left for break. As I laid listening to the footfalls and clicking paw-nail sounds, I thought to myself "I'm too drunk and tired to even care about these stupid ghosts right now" and continued to try to fall asleep.

This is not where the story ends. Thirty minutes later, I'm still awake but the sounds have stopped. Suddenly, I hear "front door open" and someone hastily opening and slamming the front door. They run through the house like they're in a hurry, pause for a moment as if grabbing something, and then run out the back door and slam it as well. At this point, I'm thinking "Mike, WTF are you doing?" As I laid there waiting for him to come back in, the wait became longer than I expect. A few minutes turned into around 30-45 minutes before I heard "back door open" and Mike walking calmly up the stairs to the second floor and then up the flight that leads to the third floor.

The next morning, one of my other housemates had come home, so I decided to tell her and Mike about the weird walking/ dog paw-nail sounds downstairs. This is where it gets real weird real quick. Remembering how I had heard Mike come to the house twice, I asked him about it. He looked at me blankly and asked what I meant. I asked him why he came to the house, sprinted through, then promptly left out the back door and came back 30 minutes later. With the most confused expression, he tells me that he only came home once and went up the stairs straight to bed. Wondering if it were an intruder and we'd left the doors open, I asked him if both the doors had been locked when he came home. They had been. At this point, we're left in silence. None of us really knew what to say. I tell the other housemates later on, but I think most of them wrote me off as being jumpy/ too drunk/ irrational. I will say this: I didn't imagine it. I wasn't asleep. I've had sleep paralysis, and I know those weird in-between states of consciousness and being asleep. I was fully awake. Groggy and drunk, but alcohol doesn't make you hear things; I've been drinking long enough to know this. I even felt the tremors when whoever_ or whatever_ ran through the house and slammed the doors.

We've had other things happen in the house, but this is the one that sticks out the most. The ghost has become a bit of a running joke, which is how it got the name "the seventh housemate." We often like to complain that "it" will need to pay rent too if it wants to stay here. If any of you have any comments on this, I wouldn't mind. There's not much to do about it. Whatever this is generally doesn't bother us and I've decided against any blessings in case that might rattle its cage. I've got too much on my plate to deal with an angry ghost. It doesn't feel malevolent or dangerous, but it is definitely assertive and no-nonsense. Part of me wants to investigate it, but I'm hesitant that I'll wake a sleeping giant.

Other hauntings by Science-tastic

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Science-tastic, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Science-tastic (2 stories) (6 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-02-15)
To all of the comments call this ghost a trickster... In the language of my generation, Imma say nah. Definitely not trickster. The "persona" I get from it is that it's not malevolent or mean or aggressive, but it's kind of grumpy. It'll get in your face or mess with you if you are getting on its nerves, but it won't hurt/ endanger you. Kind of a "you kids get off my lawn!" attitude.
BloodEman (2 stories) (59 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-15)
Hello,
My suggestion is that the ghost could be the original owner...!
However, there is another explanation for that ghost walking through the house.

I think it could be Mike who could have been well drunk at that time...

Although the ghost is living in your house, you can ask him to pay his rental too... 😆
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-13)
Hi Science-tastic,
This was an awesome read for me. I absolutely love reading about old creepy turn of the century homes. Most of them have a lot of history 😊.

After reading it seems this could be the original owner, looking over the house. Maybe playfully mocking the everyday noises you and your house mates make throughout the day. Because you bravely asked for it to not breath down your neck, it may have been thinking,"no" 😆.
I'm sure if you haven't had any bad experiences the 7th housemate is probably fine with you all being there, but take care of the home while you do vacant it.

I agree with others if you feel it isn't necessary to do a cleansing/blessing, don't.Just simply stay respectful, of the home and the space it is giving you.

Sincerely
Spiritwaiting
Science-tastic (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-12)
SDS:

The alarm could have been faulty but I still heard the doors slamming. If it was just the alarms, I would have thought less of it. However, the doors of a locked house opening and closing when all of the housemates weren't there is pretty damn weird. We keep our keys on us, and there's no spares that the rental company gave us.

I thought I was pretty respectful in a haha way, but it looks like the entity doesn't have much of a sense of humor... We jam to music down there a lot (dub step, The Gorillaz, rap, 90s grunge rock), so I wonder if it grew tired of our "whipper-snapper" music.

We haven't had any issues since then. I the weird feeling a few nights ago, but it wasn't as potent as it has been in the past. Overall, I intend to ignore it to the best of my ability. If anything else interesting happens, I'll for sure make a post about it. The one thing I think is interesting is that it isn't more active after we have parties when there's tons of energy for it to juice up on or finals week when we have a lovely gumbo of negative emotions. Rather, it picks really random periods where the atmosphere is slower and less emotionally charged.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-12)
Mack: point well taken
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-02-12)
Hi Science-tastic, I was going to ask whether the alarm got sounded when you heard the doors open and close when you heard the running. Secondly, did you check up if the alarm system was alright? Are there any faults in the system and whether it did work well or has not been at time? And if the alarm system is faulty, then there is a possibility of what Tweed said to be plausible. But I don't think so.

But whatever you have narrated was not harmful or negative as I have read it. So even a cleansing may not be of that help if the entity is not negative or evil. But it is better to speak to it that you need your privacy and that you acknowledge its presence but do it in a respectful manner. Not like the way you did when you were cooking.

Try to maintain a journal of activities that you have experienced and others too.

Please do inform us the developments.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-02-12)
Biblio - the cerebellum awash in alcohol may be why there's 7 billion of us 😊
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-11)
Hey, Science-tastic:

Yet another good story from you! Honestly, I'm going to echo only one of Tweed's points: "Definitely follow your gut." The human hindbrain is vestigial, as you stated, but it is intact -not atrophied- for a reason: Self-Preservation. The cerebellum, the more-evolved part of the hindbrain, is responsible for (amongst other things) alertness, including the instinctive reaction to threats, danger, or discomfort in the environment. Human beings have continued to rely upon subconscious feelings or intuitions throughout history, so we have never become independent of the information it provides. (Honestly, our species has a bad habit of seeing a plethora of options, then pressing the button marked "stupid." I think that the cerebellum alone may be the reason there are over 7 billion of us roaming about the planet.) When your instinct says "bad idea" for goodness' sake, don't let anyone talk you out of it! I think you, your housemates, and this entity may have negotiated a mutually-awkward but workable stalemate.

Just a thought: if you're all going to be out of town (say, spring break), you may want to talk about the house being empty for a specific length of time with the knowledge that the entity is listening. If there will be people in the house, you may wish to speak aloud to negotiate some parameters: "there will only be three of us for the next week, and we'll need the common areas between 7pm and 11, but you'er free to use them the rest of the time." Perhaps, and this is a long shot, your attempts to state your intentions specifically for the benefit of the entity will earn you a measure of peace & respect.

Best,
Biblio.
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-11)
Science-tastic, this is a case where I would set up a dvr and try to capture some of this activity. Perhaps on another holiday when most of your roommates will be gone again. If this seventh roommate is actively moving about you may capture something interesting.

I'd need something like this to solidify my previous experience because I'd always wonder if maybe I was a little more drunk than I thought (or all the other many seeds of doubt that would creep into my mind).
Science-tastic (2 stories) (6 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-02-11)
Tweed:

No, those are actually interesting suggestions! My only thing is that I didn't hear anyone enter, and even if they had been in the house, they must have never left because the alarm didn't go off until the whole running through the house incident. In fact, the walking sounds were weird to me because they stopped, and I didn't hear anyone leave. It seemed to go from the back of the house into the living room/ foyer and just randomly stop. Even if they had turned the alarm off, I still would have heard the door close because our doors are really easily heard throughout the house. However, I'll never rule out the possible!
chapulin1234 (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-11)
Hi Science-tastic, very nice narrative and yes, I agree, if it just wants his space and doesn't bother you, then no point in stirring things up, best of luck with your studies:)
Claudia
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-02-11)
Hi Science-tastic, great to read another experience from you, very much enjoyed your first one.

How I love super really ridiculously old creepy houses, your place sounds like a dream to me. That probably sounds sarcastic, it's not!
Definitely follow your gut about waking sleeping giants. You seem in touch with the general vibe of the place and of your seventh housemate. If things start getting beyond the joke, however, give 'em the flick. But I think it's likely some old resident with old fashioned values who doesn't take kindly to y'alls lifestyle, oh well. Give them a good dose of culture.

Err... I hate to even suggest this but could the person you heard entering with the dog have been your landlord or a former tenant who still has keys? I really hope not. I really hate to even suggest it, but in the event someone living is up to no good, better to know about it than not. Also do you keep spare keys, or any house keys, next to the door? I cringe when keys are hanging near peoples doors because if ever a nasty pasty drops by (as can happen with parties) well, yeah.

Sorry to suggest all that, best to be on the safe side though.
Oh yeah and don't walk home late at night in a rough neighbourhood, goodness!

Man do I sound like a jolly plod.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: