You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Haunting of Buffalo Ridge

Real Ghost Stories

The Haunting of Buffalo Ridge

 

One of the infamous spots around here is Buffalo Ridge, a hilly road that's just a bit northwest of Cincinnati in Cleves. It's actually home to the Mitchell Memorial Forest, a park complete with a nature trail, lake for fishing, and a playground for the kiddies! Woo hoo! Not only that, but SUPPOSABLY this road is where Charles Manson himself spent his Cincinnati years! (I say supposably since I know his family lived around here at some point, but I never really looked into whether or not he grew up around Cleves. Not that it's important to the story anyways) Well, the urban legends of this road are outrageous. Stories range from being chased across the road at night by white vans, to phantom cars from failed gang initiations, an evil dog with glowing green eyes, ghosts that run across the road searching for their missing parts for all eternity, and most importantly, the Crematorium. You see, the urban legends say this road was the site of a corrupt crematorium that dropped bodies out in the woods, blah blah blah. And now supposably bodies are still out there somewhere.

Well, in high school I actually had an english teacher who told me that one time he and his friend drove down there, pulled over and juuuust happen to open a random barn door for whatever reason, and found chickens hanging from the ceiling on chains, and their blood being collected on leaves below. So they ran back to their car, and of course Gravedigger or some other monsterous truck comes tearing out of a driveway and chases him all the way out of Cleves! EXCITEMENT!

Buffalo RidgeThat's all well an good, but as I soon found out from personal research.. there was never a crematorium there. What IS there to this day, however, is the ruins of Cincinnati's first Planetarium, hidden in the woods. In fact, if you're still reading and want to know more about it, I made a website explaining the whole background of Buffalo Ridge (with pretty pictures!). At the time I made that site, I had tried just about everything and experienced nothing more than a police officer pulling over and literally laughing at us as we explained to him that we wanted to see dead people run across the road. I can feel my self-esteem rising. It also occured to us that the park's staff had rangers in white vans visiting it frequently, thus killing the chased-by-white-van experience for us.

And so! with all that out of the way, I can now explain my story. About two weeks ago, I lead a couple friends that are new to the area down to Buffalo Ridge. These friends being my old friend Jonathan, who's the same age as me and grew up in Indiana, and Kay, his as-of-now-girlfriend. I think. Well, we get there at about 9:00 pm when the sun was close to setting all the way, and as usual I have them park down the road a bit near another road (the name of which slips my mind) and walk back up to a "No dumping or we'll own your butt" sign. Behind which, is a trail leading down the woods and into the ruins of the old Planetarium.

Being the loser who loves to tell the local history that I am, I was talking pretty loudly about the area, while Kay and Jonathan walked behind me. They both carried a couple flashlights to see better in the thicks woods, and I just toughed it out in front. Oh yeah, I'm a real man! ...I try. Anyways, we come to what I can only describe as the foundation of the building. A bunch of bricks and torn metal in the hill side is all I got.

We sat down and started chatting it up, about whatever, and a good 30 minutes passed. Jonathan and I were discussing manly things, like whether we should go get those tiny fries at Steak n Shake, or an even manlier jug of root beer at the Jolly's up in Fairfield. Around then, Kay started mumbling about how "the air changed" or something to that degree. So, in hopes to see something spooky, I climbed down into the foundation of the ol' planetarium, and took Jonathan's flashlight so I could navigate walking around on the fallen stones and what not. At one point, I remember Kay saying we should get going, and by then I had already made my way to the other side of the rubble and was wanting to look around some more. But! Jonathan didn't like making her nervous, so I agreed to climb back out.

So, being the nice guy I am, I started to make my way back across the rubble. At this point, I shined my light back up the wall I had climbed down to see Kay and Jonathan, when I saw it! A man I couldn't really make out from where I was, was approaching the two of them, so jokingly I shouted "Hey, better tell that guy that we aren't sacrificing babies. Or drug dealers. Or drug dealers sacrificing babies!" and went back to my climbing across the rubble. Eventually, I made it up the wall and... no one was freakin there! Annoyed, I walked back up the trail to Buffalo Ridge, and found Kay crying while Jonathan hugged her. Aww. So I asked what happend to our guest, when Jonathan starts RANTING on, and ON about how "This dude just totally came out of no where, walked right up to me.. and vanished!!" Which made our heads spin.

From then on, we were pretty ecstatic, running back to the truck with Kay frightened, while Jonathan was excited, and I was pissed. I want a ghost to walk up to me and disappear! and I didn't even see it since I was walking over some flippin' stones and what not. Never again will I look where I'm going! ...Ok, bad idea. So finally, the story has become one of the only real ghosts we've got to talk about. But it's a fun story none the less, and has actually gone down at the Art Institute I go to as "Jonathan and Alex vs. the Invisible Amish Ninjas."

Other hauntings by Alex

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

MAPO (19 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-07-30)
HAHA I lived on rybolt right down the street from there. Fun road to race but there are only 2 spots that are huanted and they are hard as heck to get to.
bigd (3 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2009-12-15)
yesturday I had posted my experience about what happened too me on buffalo ridge, but I have an evan more bizzare story to tell you about. If anyone has ever had an experience at a place called chesters roadhouse on montgomery road, please write a comment about it. Anyway, I used to make deliveries there every other weak for years with no problems, but one day I was coming up the basement stairs and as I was reaching for door knob a got this feeling that someone was behind me, so I glanced over my shoulder and there was a girl standing right behind and I said hello, I just thought it was a waitress, as I opened the door I stood aside too let her go past me but she was GONE. The basement was very well lit up and there is no way she could have ran all the way back down those steps that quickly (2 seconds)...so I walked over to the bartender to have him sighn my paperwork, I was still trying to figure out what just happened and he asked me what's wrong?, when I told him he got real excited and called out to another waitress in the dinning room and said that I just seen (they said her name but I don't remember it)... The waitress kind of giggled a little bit and said... Yea shes are resident ghost and that they have all seen her... I was kind of stunned at the NO BIG DEAL attitude they had becouse her sighting were pretty commin. Chesters roadhouse was torn down a few years ago, I think there is a jaguar car dealership there now. P.s. I wonder if any of them have seen her.
bigd (3 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2009-12-15)
when I read the comments from sizy123 and sdocman it freaked me out becouse back in the mid 80s me and 3 of my friends had just left edgewater raceway and was driving up buffalo ridge when suddenly a blueish white light run up this hill, went across the road, and back up the other side, it was up in the air I'm guessing 20 to 30 feet. My buddy immediatly slammed on the breaks, we sat there screaming (what he// was that). We were all trying to find the right words to describe this thing when my friend bill yelled out " it was one of those big bison lookin things um um um a buffalo " yea yea a buffalo. And at that exact moment it hit us. Were on buffalo ridge and we all freaked out. I know this story sounds hooky but I have 3 witnesses and I would gladly take a lie detector test (and I know they would too). We don't tell many peaple about this becouse they all think were nuts, talking about THE BLUE BUFFALO. Although I would like to talk with SIZY123 about that encounter
CJ54EVER (1 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2009-11-26)
Being a resident of the West side, I have spent a lot of my High School years down at Edgewater racing our beaters, and just being teenagers, however one time while travelling down East Miami River Rd we decided to go up Gum Run Rd which turns LT off of East Miami River Rd to see where it went, and that is when we discovered Buffalo Ridge, and naturally we had to stop at the no dumping sign and see the observatory. While there, we all felt a sort of eeriness
By the ledge and Mike claims he saw an object moving in the weeds, but there is definately some strange goings on down there! On the way out we were pulled over by a park ranger in a white pick up truck, and he basically told us we were in a restricted area, and we told him about what we have seen, and he laughed, but we still go back there now and again and drink beer after the races.
Cincy22amos (1 stories) (1 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2009-10-13)
2009-10-13 😕 Last night around 11pm, my girlfriend and I were driving around looking for hills to venture on. Being new to the area, I only knew of one "hilly" road, and that road is Rybolt Road (I drove through earlier that day). Seeing how entertained I was, my girl suggested a road she and friends use to venture on when she was in still in high school - it was no other than BUFFALO RIDGE.
(Might I remind you, I am new to the area and have heard absolutly nothing about any hauntings, spirits, or bloody chicken coops to this point)
We ventured our way down Harrison Ave, made a left at the Sunnyside Cafe and ran dead smack into a detoured bridged road, which forced us to turn up the hill of Buffalo Ridge. As we steadily climbed the hill, she started into stories of how locals believe that this road/area is believed to be haunted from a charred creamatory (the irony). She then began to tell a story of how her and a couple of friends ventured out into the woods in search of paranormal activities, but failed to experiance anything.
By this time we had driven up by a street named Zeon (or something of that nature). Fearing we may get lost, I immediately turned around and started heading back down the hill, but at a slower pace in hopes of seeing something abnormal in the woods. As we crept down the hill, we noticed a doe on the side of the road by a "No Dumping" sign - as we passed it, it scurried into the woods. It was at that time, we heared a distant screaming/screaching voice of a distressed woman. It was at that point I felt like someone had punched me in the back of my head. All I could see was blackness in the middle of my vision, like if someone had pointed their finger directly in front of my eyeball. Numbness and then chills filled my entire body. I quickly snapped out of it, immediatally turning to my loved one and asked if she had just heard what I heard. She stumbles across her words as she accepts the noise she was trying to disbelieve. Frantically, we made our way to the end of Buffalo Ridge and darted back out onto Harrison Ave where we made our way back home.
Still skeptical about the whole situation, I decided to venture out and look for answers - that's what brings me here to you, today... Though, there are simular stories, only I'm still not convinced! I will venture back there some day, but only then, I will be prepared for what may be lurking in that wooded hellhole! You watch and see! 🤔
kimmynlee (1 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-01)
Ha ha I go down Buffalo Ridge all of the time and I have never ever had an ghostly encounter or anything of the sort 😭 but 🤔 I did have a little irony happen! I was in the car with my mom and dad riding along not too long ago, because we were checking out the damage from the windstorm, and we went down Buffalo Ridge. I started telling my mom and dad the stories about a ghostly van running people off the road and I was like such bull, right? Right when I told them, a black van came speeding up the hill on the opposite lane, and I distinctly remember yelling oh sh*t! And when I looked at the van, it was a roofing company! 😆 Ahh it was great, my mom and dad teased me forever, it was awesome!
southpole21559 (10 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-02-06)
dude, that SUCKS. I would be so pissed off if I didn't get the opportunity to see that! Lol, nice story
Paula1766 (1 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-02-06)
I think Tracy meant Holy Shit, lol any how great story. I was there, I'm her sister, and unfortunately I did not get to see it. However, my first husband, nephew and another friend drove down there one night to check things out again, and once again nothing, but the friend a few weeks later was tragically in an accident with his go cart and ran over, left mentally not right. We could blame the Buffalo Ridge ghost for that accident. 😆
sdocman (1 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-02-06)
I will tell you all back in 1998 my neighbor, my sister and myself were out driving around with nothing much to do (all married women) and decided to drive out to Buffalo Ridge, we were on our way back down the road when a white blurred object flew over the hood of my car... I remember saying HOLLY SHIT what was that? Never thought about it again until I read what sizy123 wrote. Kind of strange we saw the same thing at different times.

Also Charles Manson grew up in Northside.
mac_2009 (1 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-12-31)
Well, I can tell you I just drove on Buffalo Ridge yesterday, Dec. 30 08 and all I could think about is buying a nice piece of that land to build a house on. Lol... Seriously, the area is so private and peaceful. In all fairness to the stories, I have heard most of these stories myself... My husband told me a story about how when he was a teenager, (mind you, we are in our late 30's now) he and a friend who lived in that general area went out late at night to "act" on some of those stories to keep them alive... This girl driving her car got on peoples rear ends with no headlights on and flashed the brights on suddenly while blasting the horn. He said people would obviously freak out and the girl and her friends would just laugh! So there is one of your "ghost" of the 80's, some punk attitude girl from the area who chased people to keep the stories alive...
I have been on that road many of times, nothing... Not a thing. I had a friend who went with some other friends on two or three occasions and "camped" out in the woods all night long just to see what would happen and nothing... They came back to say it's all a joke.
Did satanic people ever hang back there back in the 70 - 80's? Possibly... Because the land is so secluded and easy to hide in. I'd say it was more KIDS setting the stage of "horror" than anything... The only thing I have to agree with on here is the idea of living back there with it's rep... You'd have to worry about the kids going back there and driving like idiots and someone truly getting hurt. Otherwise, I seriously doubt much of this to be true. As a kid/teen I bought it, as a grown up, lol... Nah.
sizy123 (1 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-06)
i was just their a day or two ago and as we were driving down buffalo ridge we saw a blurry white object first fly over the road about three feet off the ground the second above the car about twelve feet. We then began two video tape it with the car brights on and we got three ghosts on camera. I have also heard a kid scream in the middle of the road and there was nobody there. I think buffalo ridge really is haunted. Nobody can just make up that many stories about one place. Go there walk around it will scare you a little after reading all those stories.
JPing (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-14)
Mate, that was a fantastic read. Love your sense of humour, thanks.

"I want a ghost to walk up to me and disappear!"
Don't we all. 😭
KandiKati (1 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-13)
wooooooooooow, dude, your story was pretty good, but, you sort of misspelled a lot of crap. Like supposedly, isn't soposably. Just to let you know. I live in cincinnati, and I do think that is pretty cool. 😕 😭 😁
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-01)
Aren't good teachers amazing? If it weren't for this English teacher with the chicken story, do you think you would have tried to see something at this location? I do not get why you were angry, though. Just the fact that he walked up to your friend and vanished? YOU saw him too! That in itself is something to write here (if not home) about. Thank you for the story.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2007-11-13)
I found your story fascinating and very educational. I also appreciatte the humor and the picture.

Thank you for sharing!

God Bless!
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2007-11-02)
Katie, again, I have to say, you might be just full of "it..." The picture "looks haunted?" What? What does that even mean? So you saw a picture on a website of "true ghost stories" and you just happened to find a photo on it creepy? Amazing! Wow, you must have a "gift," or maybe anyone would feel the same way as you. Yes, I'm sure that's it.

And how can you say this Alex "doesn't have the gift..." --WHAT gift? If you are so sageful, then please describe what this gift is that you (evidently) possess and he doesn't. Re-read the story, clearly, Alex is the first of three people to see this apparition, so how does he not have "a gift?" You act like you know everything about a subject that is more clouded in mystery than any other. I have yet to read a story of yours on here that doesn't make me skeptical. Everytime I read your posts and stories, I'm increasingly sure you're a 12-year old with an overly active imagination and too much time on your hands. Please refrain from judging Alex, the writer of this story. I put a lot more stock in what he just said than in anything you ever have.

And I know I'm beating a dead horse here (pardon the pun), but can you please, please, please try to edit your posts? I know that when you sign-up to this site and submit stories, one clause is that you seriously edit your writing because poor writing won't be tolerated. Well, yours is exceptionally poor, yet makes it past the filters anyway. Whatever, it still makes your posts very hard to read and understand and this is frustrating.
PrincessKatie (7 stories) (420 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-09-29)
Hi I have never been I live in the uk . Looking at the picture there something about it it catches my eyes It looks haunted for some reason. That was before I read your story I found it interesting. Thanks for sharing your story with us. Some people who haven't experienced anything maybe your not there at the right time. You just don't have a gift I'm afraid. Ghosts come out when the time is right.
naireland (1 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2007-09-26)
With old Hallows eve approaching I have made a map for anyone interested in visiting the ridge.

picture can be found by clicking link below
Good luck

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/candybarjesus/ridge.jpg?t=1190790767

Oh and for anyone else interested. I'm not going to say its "the crematorium" but there is another abandonded foundation a ways down the ridge past zion in that direction. Its further down on the right side (the east miami valley is seen on the right side) youll see a small amount of old stone wall which is overgrown. The gateway of the old stone wall has an old path. Follow that path back to reach the still remaining foundation of a mystery building. You can walk into it of course.
Keith (1 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-06-25)
I don't believe you saw a "ghost" at the observatory at all. Considering on here you said that you saw a ghost. And on your other website you said you never saw anything. I've been there and saw nothing. I don't believe there are any ghosts or hauntings on buffalo ridge. But some ironic things have happened there. I have a story of my own but it didn't happen at the observatory. And was just down the road the opposite way of the observatory.
Tom (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-09)
Can't say that I've taken the trail to the Planetarium. But I've driven down that road at night many times. Places like Buffalo Ridge, Talor Road, Muddy Creek, and Wesselman, used to have a lot of old abandoned farmhouses tucked up from the road hidden by hills and tree lines. Just about all of those old houses were either burned down, or demolished due to development.

And speaking of development, most of those old country roads like the roads that I mentioned won't look so desolate and spooky in the near future. Buffalo Ridge is in a location where real estate is or will be booming. Cleves, or as us Westsiders say "upper Cleves" has one of, if not the most expensive tax brackets in Hamilton County. Cleves, Whitewater Township, and the western part of Green Township, (all near Route 74), will eventually all be developed into surberbs.

Simply put, don't be surprised if the location of old ruins of the planetarium will most likely be the future location of someones deck.
mike (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-03-07)
yeah I have lived here my whole life on buffalo and like cristy say I've never had any experienced with any thing spooky. I live at the corner of gum run and buffalo up in the hill so I'm in the heart of the "scary" $h*t and never witnessed any thing
ashley (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-02-07)
i live on zion
i drive buffalo every day
its nothing to be afraid of
when I was little I use to run around in those woods all the time
and my friends and I are always scoopin out the place

the only thing that seems to be real
is the house that burned down due to a fire
the guy passed out with a cigarette in his hand
and it burned down the house
till the day you cant light a cigarette in the house
honestly

the only thing to be worried about is the hill hoppers
been there done that
and the street racers

the best thing about buffalo are what we like to call "buffalo rip trips" and we take them constantly
tiffany (guest)
 
17 years ago (2006-12-08)
Ive only been there once and nothing ever hapened but I plan to go back ive read so much about it
Mike (guest)
 
17 years ago (2006-11-12)
Joe -- please share some of the freaky things you've seen!
joe (guest)
 
17 years ago (2006-11-02)
i know pernsonally that those woods are haunted i have seen a lot of freaky stuff there
Tyler & Austin Cristys nephews (guest)
+1
18 years ago (2006-09-23)
we once were back there and experinced figures walking through the woods. And we also heard a person crying for help, but this wasent your average cry for help it was the most disturbing noise we've ever heard in our entire life. And we will never go back there again
Cristy (guest)
+1
18 years ago (2006-09-23)
I've lived on Buffalo Ridge my whole life and we have heard all the stories, and I have to say we have never experienced any of them.
Elizabeth (guest)
 
18 years ago (2006-09-21)
Wow.. I loved the story, it kept interested..
Nick (guest)
+1
18 years ago (2006-09-08)
I love Buffalo Ridge dude. About the only thing interesting to go to around here. Ive had a few odd occurrences but nothing terrifying yet.

Great pictures of The observatory. That place is huge the ruins are everywhere.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: