First allow me to introduce myself.
My Name is Alma. I am a mother of two sons John and Zack.
At the time of this haunted happening, I was married to Paul.
My story begins with a run of rather bad luck. My family and I were living in our cabin home, thinking that life was grand.
That is until a rather unfortunate incident occurred. In one sweep we lost our lovely home to an electrical fire. It was quite
Upsetting to say the least. We just sort of wondered around, not knowing where to go or what to do. Eventually we settled in a
Temporary rental house. Since we had home owners insurance, it would be just a matter of time before we had a new home.
We looked at several wonderful places, before we decided to purchase this house on Hails Lane. It was a yellow ranch style home. It had six bedrooms and two bathrooms, a really large kitchen and living room, laundry room and attached garage. It even had a circle drive way.
Truly beautiful this one. Such a quiet place. WE felt a bit like royalty, with the green plush carpet and the stone fire place. We felt we had truly been blessed.
Moving day, we were all so excited to get in our new home. We had our first introduction while carrying a large picture in the door.
I had selected a large painting of the last supper to hang in the living room. I really thought it would look so nice on the wall.
Apparently, the occupants who were already there did not agree. I had one end of the painting, while Paul carried the other end. The moment we stepped up into the living room, the glass front of painting shattered! It had five streaks diagonal from one corner to the next. It almost resembled claw marks. Quite unnerving an experience like that one. Never the less, onward we go, continuing to move things in.
It was dark once we had managed to get everything carried in. We took a break and ordered a pizza for dinner. While we were sitting at the table eating, the microwave started by itself. Wow! That was a little bit startling. Paul assured the kids that it was just a short in the wiring. He said he would fix it the next day. We decided to settle in for the night. Since we had not yet set the beds up, I made pallets for all of us in the living room. We were all tired and it did not take long to nod off to sleep.
It was around two A.M., when I was awakened by my alarm clock. It was packed in a box in the first bedroom. I quietly got up, careful not to wake the boys. I made my way to the bedroom. Once pulling the clock from the box, I shut it off. It was then that I noticed that it was not plugged in to the outlet It did not have a battery. I was a little frightened by this happening. I pulled myself together and decided to talk to this spirit. I said okay, you have my attention. I realize you are here and are staying here. I just bought this house, which means I too am not leaving here. We need to find mutual ground. Everything became quiet without anymore disturbances for the night.
Daylight came and it was back to work. We had a whole lot to get done, setting up our new home. We really did not notice anything more until other days to come. I suppose it was because we just kept busy. Believe me when I say "it was far from over ".
I will now just jump in and tell you some more experiences we had in that house. There was a neighbor boy (Adrian) who came over and asked to play with my sons. I asked him to come in. He backed away from the door and said no. He said he would wait outside. A few minutes later, Adrian asked me "how can you live here?" I replied," what do you mean?" He said don't you know this place is haunted? I laughed a little, then replied "well nothing has gotten me". He said yeah not yet. So we bought the haunted house in the neighborhood. AS time passed the spirit or spirits as it would be, showed us that they were definitely there.
One night, while I was watching a movie in the living room, I heard one of my sons call out to me. They were both tucked in their beds asleep. I heard " mommy, mommy " so I walked into their room. Both boys were sleeping soundly. I shrugged my shoulders and thought well, one of them was talking in their sleep. I turned to leave the room. Again, the voice called out mommy, followed by a giggle. It was then that I realized that it came from the closet. I made myself be brave about the situation. I opened the closet door. I felt a cold draft. It looked a little blurry inside, but I did not see anything.
The next day my sons told me that there was a little dark hair boy asking them to play with him. The boy would run all the way down the hall in the back of the house. He would get to the closet door, then just disappear.
I found a job just a couple miles from home. I hired a baby sitter named Amber. Amber called me at work one night. She was really scared! I asked what was wrong. She said that the boys toy dog was chasing her down the hallway. I calmly told her to take the battery out of it.
She said she already took it out. It was still chasing her down the hall. I told her to throw it outside.
The phone would ring sometimes, but there would only be static on the line. Inside this house was a great silence. It was so uncomfortably quiet. It felt like I had cotton in my ears. It was just an eerie feeling of silence. Except of course, when objects would fly off the shelves. This happened quite often when my nieces and nephews stayed with me. My oldest niece (Tosha) noticed more than her siblings. The television would turn off and on while she was watching it. The lights would flash off and on at night.
One night I was relaxing in my living room, when there came a knock on my door. I called out "who is it?" He said it is the police mam. I was driving by and noticed your porch light flashing, I thought maybe you were signaling me to stop here. I replied no. I think there is a short in the wiring. He said okay have a good night. I was thinking to myself, Wow is that all? Maybe you would like to come witness the shower turn itself on or the toilet flush by itself. By this time I had pretty well gotten used to it.
I was in the middle of preparing dinner one evening, I reached down to get a pan from the cabinet, There was blood dripping from it.
The blood was running out of the door into the floor. I checked the cabinet, there was nothing in there losing blood. I cleaned the mess and returned to make dinner. My husband fixed his plate of food. He set the plate on top of the stove. The plate flew off the stove and busted at his feet!
It was the holiday season and I was decorating the house. I had a big green candle which I set on the mantle above the fire place. I decided to light the candle to fill the house with evergreen scent. I started down the hallway to get more decorations, when I heard a crashing sound. I turned around to find my candle split down the middle and pieces of wax all over the floor. It was like it just busted open and flew in all different directions!
One night the boys and I were spending the night away from home, when I received a phone call from Paul. There was a real panic in his voice. He told me that he saw the dark hair boy. The boy was running back and forth in hallway. He was telling Paul to come with him. He wanted Paul to play in the closet. I told Paul to just come stay with us for the night.
There were in fact, many more occurrences in that house. Here is where I will leave you in this story.
Eventually we sold the house. The last time I was there, I was showing the house to a buyer. In the laundry room the washer and dryer started by itself. She was a bit startled but still bought the place.
This my friends, is the story of A house on Hails lane! This is a true story! The house still stands in that little town of Texico Illinois. The last I had heard, It once again has a reality sign in the front yard.
Written by: A.R. Burwell
(C) June 2017