You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Shopping Mall Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Shopping Mall Ghost

 

I own a retail store which leases a space in a shopping mall, I've been there 5 years and I have numerous stories of the ghost which resides there and has been there for some time. I was warned about the ghost which all the tenants have termed "Henry" when I moved in 5 years ago and was working late night after everything was closed. There are many experiences but I'll focus on one which happened in my retail store.

About a year and a half ago I had a new employee hired with lots of experience so I gave her the keys to the store so she could open and close. One night she was responsible for closing and so she did. When we went into the store the next morning the bathroom water in the sink was running on full blast and the store was flooded! Over $20,000 in damages. At the time I blamed it on the new employee leaving the water running the night before. Until last week.

My assistant and another employee opened the store as usual in the morning nothing out of the ordinary. After about 10 minutes one went into the back room cause she heard something, the water in the sink in the bathroom was running full blast again. She asked the other girl if she had been in there and she had not, she never even entered the back room. So one girl goes and turns it off and goes out into the store. She had to run to the back room again right after and when she did the fridge door was open in the lunch room. Now in order to get to the bathroom you pass the fridge and if the door is open you can't pass cause it's so small, so it's safe to say it wasn't open when she was there previous. She closed it and went about her day.

Might I note the employee who I thought flooded the store originally swears to this day she did not leave the water running.

Do you think it's possible for a ghost to do this? And for what reasoning?

This ghost has done everything from tearing everything up on my desk, putting papers everywhere and all over the floor. To throwing merchandise around in the store which we caught on camera (we can see the items moving but nothing else).

Should I get someone in? I had someone in before that could sense the paranormal and he was unable to stay in my store due to the high amount of activity.

Thoughts would be nice. Thanks!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Doyle09, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-18)
And, reading back, Kindly_Refrain, it seems as though my wording in my comment was clumsy - my apologies. It isn't clear but my intention was to back up your comment ❤
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-17)
Hi Kindly_Refrain - actually as Doyle is an Irish name, finding it in Newfoundland makes good sense. There is a solid history of Irish colonization of the area that stretches back more than a century - especially on the Avalon Peninsula where Carbonear is located. Here are a few links for more information:

Https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/the-most-irish-island-in-the-world-1.1538579%3Fmode%3Damp

Http://www.heritage.nf.ca/articles/society/irish-settlement.php
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (193 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-07-14)
Hi Doyle09. The name Doyle and Newfoundland seem quite common together.

As far a sinks turning on, my daughter is a custodian for our local school board. She was working night shift at a school in Norwich, Ontario and was just relieving a new afternoon shift custodian. He asked if there were any ghosts in the school to which my daughter said she didn't think so. He declined to explain the reason for his question.

She was to be proven wrong that very night.

Although she was working alone, twice, she found the hot water faucet running full blast in the teacher's staff room kitchen a few hours apart that night. She also had motion detector activated lights turning on in class rooms and hall ways when she was not near those areas.

She felt it was the ghost's way of letting her know that it was indeed a haunted school.

So... Yes, ghosts seem able to turn on taps.
L_Melb (220 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-14)
Hi Doyle,
Thanks for the extra information - that is really something!
I would not call myself knowledgeable like many others on this site but I am thinking it may be some kind of poltergeist activity - simply the way items are thrown etc
Who knows, maybe it could have something to do with all the energy that you have in a place like a mall
Then again I could be totally wrong and things may have gone on prior to the current structure (being wrong is not a new experience for me 😁)
Thanks for the extra details!
Doyle09 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-14)
Multiple stores have had issues with this ghost. One store saying for instance she was in th store by herself after closing and brought in supplies for the break room (bottles of pop, chips, etc) she went to the back room to hang up her coat and when she came back all the supplies were gone. No where to be seen and the store was closed and doors locked.

I don't know if the land had history previous to the mall being built. It's called the Trinity Conception Square in Carbonear, Newfoundland.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-14)
Doyle09 - Thanks, you have just answered one of the questions I wanted to ask, being is it only your store or the whole mall which is haunted. From what I gather, all the stores in the mall are experiencing rather nasty experiences, or am I incorrect in making that assumption?

It might not be the deceased gentleman who previously owned the property who is causing all this havoc. Do you have any way of knowing whether these events were occurring even before he passed away and his family sold the property? Sounds like a rather active poltergeist to me but why would it target the entire mall? It could be the land and once the mall was built it somehow "came to life"? In fact it seems that you might have more than one entity there.

If I were you I think I would look for alternative premises from which to run my business, unless the owner of the mall is open to a cleansing/blessing of the entire area.

In the meantime "treat your employees good", before you end up without any 😜

As always, I like to read the comments of the very experienced readers before I end up with my foot in my mouth, which I've done more than once!

Regards, Melda
Limey (3 stories) (33 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-14)
Hi Doyle; Thanks for an interesting and believable story (sad to say, there seem to be an increasing number of jokers on this site). The need for us to see the cctv footage is of course an obvious concern. It would help all readers. Any additional stories from your neighbours would be useful too. Would you mind telling us the name of the mall and where it is? It's a public place, and as such will be exempt from privacy concerns. I'm a Canadian, and it may be nearby. So unusual (in my experience) to have a ghost in a shopping mall. Thanks again Doyle!
Doyle09 (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-14)
Most other stores say "Henry" just does mischievous things, such as moving things and hiding objects and bringing them back out a few days later. One other store reported hearing a man singing late at night, when the mall was empty. This is a small mall too I might add, only 20 stores.

The time that everything on my desk in the back room was all torn up, the door to the back room was closed (could see that on camera) and my assistant who was the last to leave the office that evening said everything was fine and tidy on the desk. When she went in the next morning everything was scattered all over the desk, she had a sweater hanging on back of the office chair and it was down on the floor and all tangled around the wheels on the chair and my computer screen was turned on. After that encounter I had another camera installed in the back room facing my desk - nothing happened there since.

The time items were thrown around the store (the footage is on my store computer, I will try and get it off to upload here) it happened on camera around 3 am, I own a clothing and footwear store, the first item that was thrown off the wall was a rubber boot, it got thrown approximately 5-8 feet from where it was displayed. We tried multiple times to say maybe it just fell but we could not get it to go 5-8 feet from where it was. From the footage it looked like it was violently thrown. The next item was in the other End of the store and it was a sports bag that was on top of a shelf, that went flying, then a rack of men's underwear all got thrown over the floor. When my staff went in the next morning they had assumed I was in with my kids the night before and they threw all the stuff around, when I said no, they were shocked. That's when I checked the cameras. When I first watched the video and seen the first item thrown, utter shock, fear and so many feelings went through my body, immediately tears ran down my face and I was shaking. I showed the video to multiple people and all were shocked.

I've asked around to see who this ghost may be and it turned up that the land that the mall is sitting on was owned by some man and the mall owner came looking to purchase the land off him but he wouldn't sell. Once the man passed away his family immediately sold the land to the company who wanted to build the mall, and so they did.
L_Melb (220 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-14)
Navi, the author says movement was caught on camera, so yes, it would seem they are installed.
Doyle, if you could upload that footage with a link so we could see it, that would be fantastic!
Yes, I believe they could do the things you've described. Why, however, is anyone's guess.
Are there stores joining yours that also have strange things going on?
Thanks for sharing, L 😁
navi (1 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-14)
Hey Your story seems to be a bit unclear, you must share when these type of experience started in your retail store as you owns the store from last 5 years. Further have you installed CCTV in your retail stores? If yes then have you checked the footage

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: