You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Voices That Saved My Life

Real Ghost Stories

The Voices That Saved My Life

 

Prior to the following experience, I wouldn't hesitate to blame some doofus move on my part on the "voices" I hear in my head. "The voices made me do it!" That was such a funny thing to say. Little did I know or understand back then that the voices you have "in your head" can actually be a real thing.

This story isn't terribly scary, but it is one of the top standouts for me as far as the litany of paranormal experiences I've had over the years. Thinking of this experience warms my heart and makes me so very thankful because it, combined with other later occurrences, eventually convinced me that there are such things as guardian angels or at least helpful spirits that appear when you need help the most.

A little background first for context (please bear with me): This experience happened during late summer or very early fall of 1996 in the Kansas City, Missouri, area. Back then, I was just starting my career as a newspaper reporter. I worked very long hours, always taking my work home with me to finish. Meanwhile, I had a young child in daycare and it was my responsibility to pick him up from daycare before 6 pm. My son's father (we lived together) was a chef and he worked 12 hour days. So, after work, I would pick up our son, fix dinner, spend quality time playing or just loving on him for a while and then put him to bed. His father would get home between 9 pm and 10 pm most days. I would resume work after he got home.

Although we could pay our bills, we did not have disposable income. This meant I did not have a computer at home, and I needed one to be able to work from home. Computers were an enormous expense to us. So, I would leave our house late at night and travel 20 or so minutes to my younger brother's house (he lived in a burb of the suburbs, kind of rural) to work on his computer and then save my work to a floppy disk (ahhh, the days of floppy disks!). I was so thankful that my brother allowed me to tiptoe inside his house late at night so that I could better balance my work and home life responsibilities. (Thanks P!)

On this particular evening, I finished my work around 1 am and jumped into my ancient Honda Accord to head home. I was alert, but tired. I turned down the main road from my brother's house and noticed that the night was filled with fog. I was a little unnerved as it was in the wee hours of the morning, dark and foggy, and I was the only one on the road in the middle of semi-nowhere. Beautiful area, but sparse back then. I fumbled through radio stations looking for something to distract me and landed on a public radio station. A Native American song was on and I enjoyed the rhythm of the music. The song was primarily steady drum beats with long-spoken chanting. Perfect for a dark, foggy night.

I noticed that the night sky would break through the fog every now and then and I could see a bit of moonlight hit the two-lane road. This isn't terribly relevant, just one of those things that make me thankful that I can enjoy such beauty. I was thinking of this beauty, and enjoying the rhythmic chanting, when out of nowhere I heard voices say, "Slow down." The words were clear as day, which sent chills up and down my spine and made the hair on my arms stand up! It was in a calm tone, but sounded like more than one person saying it at the same time. And although I knew I was alone in my car, I still looked over to the passenger seat as if someone was sitting there. Nope. Empty. Looked in the back seat. Empty, too. Feeling a bit crazy, I told myself that I am just simply hearing things that aren't there. Or, perhaps it was the wind? Nope. No wind. And no regular conversations happening on the radio, either.

I looked at my speedometer to check my speed. Not too bad. Almost 55 mph in a 45 mph zone. Meh, I don't need to slow down, I thought. No one is on the road at this hour and it's a straight shot, minus a few minor hills and such, to the highway home. I'm fine, sort of. I was feeling a little scared. I really thought I heard a group of people speak to me, but no one was in the car with me. So, I decided that I must be making stuff up in my head and had better get home and to bed soon.

Just as I started to relax back into my drive home, I heard it again. "Slow. Down." This time, it was louder and more pronounced with a pause in between "slow" and "down," and I definitely heard more than one voice in there. The tone of this message sort of sounded like a parent giving you that second warning, you know the one that happens before all hell breaks loose. Oh sweet Jesus. The chills were busy dancing on my spine again.

This time I turned my radio off. Silence. Not only was I feeling scared (disembodied voices weren't something I was used to at the time), but I was also getting frustrated (I tend to get a little feisty when I don't have immediate answers). Who wants me to slow down? Why? What is GOING ON? Am I crazy? I must be crazy because NO ONE IS IN THE CAR WITH ME. I took a couple of deep breaths as I struggled to understand the who, what, why, where and when. I felt like I was having an out of body experience.

I didn't have much time to ponder this further. "SLOW DOWN NOW!" They YELLED at me. No mistaking this. I was hearing voices and they were attached to some very upset people that I couldn't see. I quickly slammed on my brakes. It was one of those moments where you just throw caution to the wind, give in to your situation and go with it. It no longer mattered if I was absolutely losing my mind. I was too scared to do anything else.

And just as my car stopped, a herd of deer appeared, running from one side of the road to the other. Right in front of me, inches from my car. One after the other after the other. And there were bucks in this herd donning those beautiful, but deadly antlers.

And when I thought the last one crossed the road, I began to lift my foot off the brake and heard, "Wait." So, I waited. And a few more deer crossed the road. I waited a little longer and heard, "Ok." I gently pressed the gas pedal and headed home. Slowly.

As I drove home, I was in shock and awe. I have somewhat of an analytical mind, so I tried to rationalize this situation as I drove home and for days afterward. In time, I came to understand that these voices simply came from the heavens, or from some dimension that I couldn't see, and saved my life. We are not alone here after all.

I also said thank you many times to whomever yelled at me. I thanked "them" for not giving up when I was too stubborn to listen (pretty much the story of my life for many, many years). Frankly, I wasn't sure who to thank at the time. I struggled with God back then (quite upset with God and anything remotely related to religion at the time... We all have our issues, eh?), so I just kept saying thanks to the open air in my car.

At the end of the day, I decided that it didn't matter that I couldn't explain what happened, I was just thankful that it did happen. And although I believe it highly probable, I can't say for sure my two-year-old son would have lost his mother had I hit those beautiful creatures. I am just thankful (more than words can ever say) that I will never know.

The voices visited me again a few years later and once again saved my life. I hope to share that story with you in the near future.

Thanks for reading my story.

Other hauntings by Faith1990

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Faith1990, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Faith1990 (2 stories) (10 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-10-30)
Jubeele--Sorry I missed your earlier comment. I do not recall the name of the chant. I wish I did! I really enjoyed it. It didn't occur to me that it could have been a prayer for protection. That is a comforting thought. I really appreciate your thoughts and others that have connected the chant to the voices. At the time, I thought they were two separate things, but it is possible that all of the various elements that night are connected. So glad I shared this story with all of you! 😊
Faith1990 (2 stories) (10 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-10-30)
Hi Emmaline--thanks for reading this story! I have heard (within my family) that a few distant ancestors may have been part native american, but I don't know for certain. However, I like your theory! I was definitely deep into the rhythm of the chanting. I always find it deeply relaxing when I listen to it. So perhaps I did "tune in" to the land/spirits that directed me that night. It was one amazing experience! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! 😊
EmmalineTexas (10 stories) (163 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-10-26)
Faith - Thanks for a wonderful story. It made me wonder enough to ask you something. Are you by any chance part native American? I know that chanting can be a form of prayer or accessing the divine energy, depending on how you look at it. It's just possible that you tapped into the chi of the area (for lack of a better term) and the land spoke to you to tell you about the deer. If you were in an Alpha state you would have been very receptive. Great story, I loved it. ❤
Jubeele (26 stories) (886 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-09-21)
Somebody (or disembody - pardon the pun) loves you. You are blessed. Did you remember that particular chant you were listening to at the time? It almost seems like a prayer or mantra for your safety. Thanks for sharing the experience. 😊
Spiritual_Paganist (15 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-08-13)
OMS THIS HAPPENED TO ME TOO! But in a different situation, I'm ganna be writing a story on it. It sounds so weird hearing a direct voice from a unknown source xD
Cat7777 (9 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-08-08)
This is an amazing story! I was thinking though, imagine if you were a total chicken plop (like I would be!) and totally freaked out about the voices and booted the car to try get away from them! 😲 Thankfully, you took instruction. Bless your guardian angel (s?)
Faith1990 (2 stories) (10 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-08-03)
Hi All--Thank you so much for commenting!

Manafon--Funny you should bring up the point about whether the precaution/instructions were for the deer in addition to me. That thought did cross my mind after posting the story. I am with you that it was probably both! Also funny is how the Native American chant I was listening to always stands out when I think of this situation. I hadn't listened to anything like that before and I fell in love with the music after. Good for the soul! One of my favorite albums is Scott Fitzgerald's "All One Tribe." I bought it a year or so after the "voices" came into my life (and all I listened to back then was pop music). Something about the music just resonates with me. Thanks for giving me an additional perspective to consider!

DarkStar--Yes, repeated statements from disembodied voices is something difficult to ignore! I still look back on it with bewilderment. Even though I believe in the spirit world and all the fun and sometimes scary things that can happen, I am still amazed by it. Thanks for commenting!

Valkricry--The multiple voices in unison still baffles me. Makes me wonder if multiple voices only show up for me in very dangerous situations (or they need to yell at me like that because of my thick skull). It happened one other time in a serious situation. Outside of that, I am the crazy person that hears one disembodied voice at a time.:-)

DandK--Thank you so much for sharing your story. I know it was a long time ago, but I am so sorry about your grandmother. Loss is so difficult, especially when it is unexpected. I am happy to hear that your regret has turned into compassion. It is a shock to hear a disembodied voice in your head (or around you) for the first time. What do you have to compare it to, really? I listened to the voices because I was scared out of my mind, not because I thought I was in danger of hitting deer. I think as we get older, it becomes easier to follow our intuition and pay attention to the inner voices (whether they belong to us or not). We are so distracted when we are young! Thanks again for sharing!

Wish-Not--I totally understand the "fright" factor! I have to literally sit on myself when strange things happen. My first reaction is that I want to RUN like the wind or close my eyes and just wish it away. My heart ends up in my throat and beats faster than Alex Van Halen doing his amazing drum solo during a Van Halen concert (during the 80s... Totally dating myself here). It's just recently that I am more comfortable in finding my voice and talking back to those I don't see. I am having much more fun with it now, but I still freak out inside. I find that breathing helps! LOL Also, I wanted to point out that I live in Texas now. As this was my first story submission, I was a little confused on what to choose location-wise with the "location of the story" option when I submitted it. I may have misunderstood, but chose Missouri because that's where it took place. But, Kansas City is my hometown! Go ROYALS! Like you said, the deer are everywhere. I hate driving late at night there during the fall. It gets dangerous. BTW--Arkansas is such a cool place! I have a lot of friends who dig for crystals there.:-) Thank you so much for the warm welcome!

Tace--Thank you for your kind words. Yes, it is such a good thing to have guardian angels. I wonder what my life would have turned out to be without them keeping me out of trouble!

Many thanks again to all for the comments! I joined YGS last December when I was recovering from foot surgery. I had some time to read many of your stories and previous comments. Your contributions helped me feel a little more comfortable in my own skin (and provided some smart entertainment at times--there are some amazing personalities on here!). Thank you for sticking your necks out there. It helps the rest of us.:-)
tace (37 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-08-03)
Thank you for sharing your amazing story! Made me teary eyed. I am also stubborn and hearing that voice as you did... Time and time again... So sweet you gave head and stopped. Best of all to thank those that spoke to you! We all tend to forget to thank those for helping us. Waiting to read your next encounter. You are not crazy, but having caring guardian angels watching over you. ❤
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-08-03)
Faith- Living south of you in Arkansas, and in a very rural area, I understand the surprising moments when deer show up in one's headlights. Happens too often for my likings. And, like several that have commented on your story, I have heard that disembodied voice. 😆 However my reaction was the "over reaction". I quickly removed myself from the situation 😆

Thanks for sharing. Really looking forward to your next story. Welcome to YGS 😊
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-08-03)
Faith1990, I heard a voice once. It yelled at me to get my attention, but unfortunately I didn't alter my plans.

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=23184
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-03)
Faith,
I'm no stranger to disembodied voices, but I don't think I've ever heard multiples in unison like that. Not speaking directly to me at any rate.
Thanks for sharing this.
DarkStar (1 stories) (25 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-08-02)
Faith--this is extremely interesting... A single instance of hearing a voice could be classified as a fluke, a misheard sound, an anomaly. But five instances of clear, intelligent directions separated by seconds is something completely different. What caused this I have no idea; it's way outside of my personal experience. But it sure seems like someone or something was looking out for you.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2017-08-02)
Faith1990--Thanks for sharing your account of voices giving you a warning in your empty car. I've heard a disembodied voice myself (couldn't make out what it said) but know the sense of alarmed bewilderment that accompanies hearing such a voice.

It definitely seems that the persistent voices you heard were indeed looking out for you but it struck me that they very well may have been equally looking out for the herd of deer. That you were listening to Native American music actually seems oddly pertinent. Maybe the voices were a collective embodiment of the spirits of some Native American tribe that were associated with the area in the distant past. Could it be they were looking out for the wildlife that is threatened more and more by human intrusion? It seems possible!

At the end of the day, both you and the deer benefited from the helpful, if alarming voices. Neat stuff.
Faith1990 (2 stories) (10 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-08-02)
Thanks so much Miracles! So true about the perplexity of hearing voices without seeing the people they are attached to. Major head-scratcher (and frightening when you are not used to such things)! Thankfully they patiently and emphatically got through to me. I am still impressed by the willful nature of my youth.:-)

I appreciate your comments. This unnerving experience turned out to be so meaningful in my life, even today.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
7 years ago (2017-08-02)
Faith - this is an amazing experience and thank you for sharing. I think a lot of people react the way you did: ignore the voices because you really didn't hear what you thought you heard, right? Yeah right LOL

Thankfully those who were trying to get you to stop were persistent.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: