You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Enormous Black Deer

Real Ghost Stories

Enormous Black Deer

 

A couple years back my best friend and I were sitting on our back porch smoking a cigarette and talking about nonsense. While we were talking I stopped what I was saying and was staring at this huge black deer with the biggest antlers I have ever seen. I thought it was something I was imagining until I asked my best friend if she saw it too. She flipped out saying how she thought she was the only one who saw it.

The reason why I wanted to write this story is because it seemed really odd that we seen this black deer, I mean it was the size of a SUV while its antlers were even taller. We live in a small town that doesn't have much going on, this deer headed straight towards the main road. I mean, isn't it weird for a deer to go towards the town rather than away from it?

That day we tried looking for any news on the black deer and didn't see any or even the next week. It was broad daylight when we saw it, mind you. Surely we weren't the only ones who saw it?

In southern Alabama all we have are those tan brownish deer. I want to think that the black deer was a message or a sign of some sort but honestly I don't know, I have gotten messages with numbers, objects, even butterflies but with a black deer I have never heard of or seen ever in my life.

If anybody knows about what I have talked about please let me know. For the last couple years I have been trying to find answers and found none. I don't believe it was a live deer and honestly, I don't want to hear anybody say that it was because nobody was there to see with their own eyes.

Other hauntings by SoniaMary0023

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Alabama

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SoniaMary0023, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

SoniaMary0023 (4 stories) (35 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-20)
Valkricry, thank you I never knew such thing existed. I understand now. And that is interesting, I have always been interested in native culture. My grandfather is native american so it brings a smile to my face knowing that I saw something very rare
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-11)
Sounds like you may have seen a black (melanistic) deer which is indeed rare in itself. A big buck can weigh over 275 pounds. Which if you include antlers in the height is more than massive looking. Now, I feel the need to stress this: if this is what you saw, it was a very rare sighting.
According to some Indian tribes (Creek and Choctaw especially) such a sighting would be indicative of good fortune, and that you are traveling on the right life path. It also stands as a reminder to embrace the graces symbolized by the deer; gentleness, kindness, forgiveness, the embracing of one's feminine side. That these are not weaknesses but strengths.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-11)
SoniaMary - 🙄 Right now I don't feel inclined to do any research and at the time I posted my comments I probably didn't consider it necessary as you had already received links from two posters. Since then you've received further links. Besides that, you mentioned that you didn't want to be told that this was a living deer.

I apologise if you think I was being snarky - it was not my intention. 😊

Regards, Melda
SoniaMary0023 (4 stories) (35 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-11)
Thank you biblio, it did have that color and as you said it just mightve been a unique experience. I just never have seen such a dark deer. I just found it odd I guess...
SoniaMary0023 (4 stories) (35 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-11)
Tweed, no it was not a moose lol I don't think we have them here in the area, never seen one
SoniaMary0023 (4 stories) (35 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-11)
Roylynx, #2 was the size but skinnier, and the antlers were perfectly shaped upright
SoniaMary0023 (4 stories) (35 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-11)
Thank you rook, ill be sure to look into that. Its just idk... I did say I live in a small town, at least I think I did, and things like that would be published in the papers. It was around lunch where military people and even town folks come out to eat at that time which is the only busiest time in my small quiet town. Ill be updating as soon as I find out anything about people knowing of real live deer that looked like the deer I have seen. I was searching for a spiritual answer of some sort... Like maybe it couldve been a sign. I have had signs telling me that my spiritual awakening has beem manifestating, all in different signs. And honestly it did make me upset that everyone assumed the opposite. Or it feels as if I'm speaking nonsense. Idk... Personal life has gotten the best of me
SoniaMary0023 (4 stories) (35 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-11)
Melda, please tell me. Deer do not get to the size of an suv and almost black? Thats why I said its not a real deer. I was searching for a spiritual animal (deer) that someone might know about. If you know any dark brownish nearly black deer as big as an suv, please do put the link in the comment
SoniaMary0023 (4 stories) (35 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-11)
Miracles, this was in fact not the deer that I saw, it was dark brown or black like I have said but thank you for your time of research
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-08-09)
Greetings, SoniaMary.

As with Rook's response, Melanism was my first thought. Here's a link to a picture of a small, harmless fawn running around. It has melanism: twistedsifter.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/melanistic-black-fawn.jpg?w=800&h=532

Where Albinism can be a monumental disadvantage to herbivorous creatures, as it makes them easy to spot when trying to evade predators, Melanism can be very useful as camouflage, even in lightly-wooded areas.

As for "isn't it weird for a deer to go towards the town rather than away from it?" Well, no. How often have you seen deer, raccoons, skunks, foxes, coyotes, opossums, turkeys, etc., as roadkill? In those circumstances, it's sad that a beautiful creature has died; however, the creature was wandering around where it did not "belong" by human standards. Some deer have no fear of people, others are curious, most are skittish. There is nothing wrong with a deer heading in a specific direction that it has chosen; was the town visible from the vantage point of the deer? It may have gotten halfway to the town, noticed the movement of the population, and decided to travel around the busier areas for safety. As for the local papers *NOT* carrying the story, this scenario would explain why no one noticed it; it did not to travel into town. Journalists can't report on what they have not seen, not on what they have not been told.

If this massive black deer had a supernatural element to it, I'd expect your reaction to have been far more visceral: terror, anxiety, comfort, peace... *something!* Accounts of spectral creatures tend to focus upon how they have a major impact upon the witnesses. "Surprised" is not really the same manner of response as "gripped by bone-chilling dread." I would also have expected that any such supernatural creature would have indicated to you both in some way *why* he was there. Not necessarily speaking in full sentences or anything, but 1) taking a defensive stance to protect you both, 2) slowly approaching you to herd you into the house and away from some unsuspected threat, or 3) disappearing once he realized that you --who may not have been the intended recipients of his symbolic presence/warning-- could see him.

I've tried looking at your narrative from a supernatural perspective in the previous paragraph, but I do not find myself convinced of any supernatural agency, here. Sure, it was odd (perhaps even a unique experience), but I'm afraid I can't shoehorn the supernatural into this narrative unless there are any further details you have not yet supplied. All I can see here is a massive black ungulate.

Best,
Biblio.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-08)
Hi Sonia,

Could this have resembled a moose? There's so many wacky, dumb, and stupidly relaxed American laws around the 'domestication of wild and/or exotic animals'. (Anyone remember the escaped big cat fiasco from a few years back?) I don't see why this couldn't have been a species not native to your area. I asked about moose because they can be bigger than Ben Hur.

Thanks for sharing, whatever it was it must have been trippy!
roylynx (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-07)
Or... Are you looking for this kind of information?

Https://whatismyspiritanimal.com/spirit-totem-power-animal-meanings/mammals/deer-symbolism-meaning/

Sorry, I was really interested...
roylynx (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-07)
Oh deer...

Have a look below

Http://www.wideopenspaces.com/10-uncomfortably-giant-farm-raised-deer/

Does it look like any of those?

E.Lynx
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-06)
There was a deer shot in Wisconsin I remember reading about. It had 7 legs. And yes the hunter ate it. O_o With chemical contamination in the air, food and water, lots of things are possible.

If you felt it wasn't a real deer was it a screen memory? I seem to be on an alien kick lately... Maybe 'they' were dropping you two off or something, and it was easier to pose as a big black deer wandering into town.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-03)
SoniaMary,
Why do you feel that this wasn't a 'real' deer? It really isn't that unusual to find many species of wild animals moving towards a town, depending on conditions (lack of food/water, relocation, confusion, and a myriad or other reasons).
You say you like to think it was a 'message'. That's fairly vague. Is there someone who passed that you connect with deer?
From a symbolic view point many Indian tribes see the deer as a path finder to help one on their way in life. To 'hear' as a deer does, with open heart and mind.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-08-03)
(Sigh) I, like others before me have to go against the O/P's wishes and say...

Are you sure it wasn't a real White Tail Deer?

Here's why...

There is a condition called Melanistic (opposite of an Albino = all white), which causes their bodies produce too much melanin which produces the all black coat. So yes, they can be real. (This article even mentions this condition under the Description Topic, right near the end. (http://www.outdooralabama.com/white-tailed-deer-0)

Now we must speak to it's size...

You stated it was...

"I mean it was the size of a SUV while its antlers were even taller."

That's a pretty big deer, many a hunter would want that as a trophy. As far as resources for finding out if this is really possible, once deer season opens, find store that processes the Deer for the Hunter and ask them... Books and the internet are not the only resources out there.

So if not a deer with a very rare condition and a hyper thyroid, then perhaps 'Deerzilla'?

Respectfully,

Rook
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-03)
lady-glow - Okay, okay, taking into account the ages of Rudolph and Santa, it's just possible that they aren't the original two anymore. Maybe these days Rudolph has a black nose during the day.

By the way, do you only "glow" at night, or all the time? 😆

SoniaMary - Nobody's poking fun at you, every now and then a few jokes come out but I promise none of this is aimed at you.

And no, I don't have any paranormal clarification for what you saw.

Regards, Melda
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-08-03)
Deer Melda: this encounter happened in broad daylight and, I assume, it wasn't Christmas. Why should Rudolph's nose be red? 😕

Sorry, typo, dear not deer! 😆
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-03)
Sorry, typo, deer not dear. Now how do I get this to 50? Don't know whether I'm going to make it.

Regards, Melda
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-08-03)
SoniaMary - As you specifically state that you don't want to hear anybody saying it was a live dear, fair enough, I won't. As you quite correctly say, none of the readers was there to see it.

However, if you want honest opinions (which you obviously do otherwise you would not have published your experience) you really do need to accept that the readers will give you their honest opinions.

Lady-Glow - Why do you surmise it was Rudolph? The OP didn't mention that the deer had a red nose and you weren't there, remember? 😆😜

Regards, Melda
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-08-03)
SoniaMary: I agree with Miracles and think that it is possible that you saw a deer, perhaps an elk?

Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mammals_of_Alabama

I wouldn't put much weight to the fact that the deer walked towards the main street; where I live deer are not shy to come to people's gardens and eat their plants, or to lick the salt we use to melt the ice on the driveway during the winter.

On the other hand... Perhaps it was Rudolph? 😐
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-02)
SoniaMary - I think you probably saw an actual real deer. I Googled and Wikipedia provided some facts you might find interesting.

Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallow_deer

And depending upon how old the buck was, he could have been huge.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: