You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Hallway Shadow Figures

Real Ghost Stories

Hallway Shadow Figures

 

One of my earliest experiences started with an apartment my parents moved us into. Just a regular two bedroom apartment in the suburbs of Portland, Oregon. It had a large living room with a long highway that connected the front living room and kitchen to two bedrooms and two bathrooms on the other end of the apartment.

I was about seven at the time. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary at first, but months later, at night when the lights went out, I was laying in bed at the end of the hall. Trying to fall asleep, I did my best to ignore the dark, and the shadows of the trees moving in the wind outside.

As my eyes continued to roam around the room, my eyes caught on two shadows by the door. As my eyes adjusted to the dark, I realized that the shadows weren't of trees or the furniture, but they were in the shape of two human forms. One taller and one shorter, but both were black shadows, completely opaque and darker than any other shadow around them. And unlike the shadows of the trees, they weren't moving. The smaller of the two shadow figures seemed to be peering at me from around the corner, like a child peeking in on someone. I stayed stock still until they were gone. I told no one.

Time went by and the small shadow returned once by itself one other time. Still I didn't think my parents would believe me.

But one day as we were leaving the apartment, Dad went to turn on the hallway light and it didn't work. We checked the circuit breaker, and nothing had been tripped. We changed the light bulb, and two new light bulbs in a row didn't work. We called the apartment maintenance and no one could figure out the issue. The next day, the lights turned on without an issue. By then, my parents started to wonder what was going on with this place. Everything seemed to be centered around this hallway, the shadows, the lights suddenly not working...

Then my family was having dinner and a movie in our back room. Dad asked me to get something he forgot in the kitchen. It was a bright sunlit afternoon, and nothing had happened for weeks. I walked down the hall without fear, thinking of nothing in particular.

The minute I came to the other end and got to our living room, I stopped dead in my tracks. There, by the computer desk in the living room, stood the same two shadows, just as dark and opaque as before, standing against the blinding daylight.

I ran back down the hall to my parents, finally screaming out what I'd seen, but when they came back to the living room with me, the shadow figures were gone.

Even though these incidents were rather tame compared with what happened to me in the years to follow, it opened my eyes to the world of the paranormal. Once this happened, I could never go back to the innocent idea Casper was the only ghost, or scary stories were told just during Halloween. It was a world that would always seem to find me.

In the back of my mind I'm always leery of homes with long hallways, since hallways seem to enter other paranormal experiences I've had over years. Does anyone else have a theory about hallways somehow being related to the paranormal?

I will be sharing other experiences here soon, and they only get more intense as the years go on.

Other hauntings by TheLightFatedGirl89

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oregon

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, TheLightFatedGirl89, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TheLightFatedGirl89 (3 stories) (14 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-06-03)
Hi Txcowby8 - thanks so much for reading! I would always do the exact same thing in hallways, always turned on the lights before I went down them, and this experience is the reason why!
Txcowby8 (3 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-05-23)
Long hallways always remind me of the original Poltergeist movie. Where the hallway seems to get so long. I'm sure at such a young age everything seems so big to us all and having that would certainly scare the bejesus out of you. My parents home had a super long hallway and I always turned the lights on at night to go down it. Cant wait to read more of your encounters. Thanks for sharing.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-05-11)
"Long highway" Hahaha! 😁

I agree with lady-glow; I don't think hallways have higher paranormal activity. Just my opinion from my experiences, talking to others and researching. Plus, you mentioned seeing the figures in the hallway the first time and then seeing them in the living room the second time.

I think spirits, ghosts, shadow figures, etc may be encountered in one area of a house/location more frequently if it's residual activity or they are "stuck" there for some reason. But not always.

It sounds like the shadows you encountered were curious and the startle or surprise effect they cause when they appear is understandable.

Thanks for sharing 😊
TheLightFatedGirl89 (3 stories) (14 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-05-10)
lady-glow - Oh you're so funny! Thanks for the joke 😭 I agree with you that looking back it really wasn't that scary (compared to what happened in the years to follow) but it was just scary in an unexpected way.

Thanks for reading! I'm gathering more stories to post soon.
TheLightFatedGirl89 (3 stories) (14 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-05-10)
Darkangel73 - that would make me run too if I heard a shadow figure speak! What a crazy experience! I wouldn't want to go back there either 😕 Thanks for reading!
Darkangel73 (4 stories) (127 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-05-02)
Hey Fatedgirl- I had experienced a shadow figure at the age of 15. It was not something I expected to happen, never. But it did. I felt it was after me for some reason, because he (the shadow person) said you know who I am. I didn't know and didn't want to find out, I hauled bottom to my aunt's room. I never saw that particular shadow again and dare not to stay back in that house at anytime of the day or not.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-05-01)
"Just a regular two bedroom apartment in the suburbs... It had a large living room with a long highway that connected the front living room..."

If big enough to house a highway, it couldn't have been that 'regular' of an apartment!
Sorry, I couldn't resist to make a joke! 😜

FatedGirl - I imagine how scary it was for you at that age to see the two shadows in your apartment though, it seems like they were harmless and, perhaps, only a bit curious about you.

Personally, I don't believe paranormal activity to be higher in hallways. I think spirits feel more attached to locations that were meaningful to them during life or at the moment of their passing, though this is only my opinion.

Looking forward to read more of your stories.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: