You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Another Realm

Real Ghost Stories

Another Realm

 

Twenty-five years ago I was walking in rural Shropshire on land owned by a friend. It was in quite a remote part of the county but I knew the area very well.

Whilst enjoying the fresh air, I strayed into a thicket/small wood. It looked like everything was dead; no greenery, etc. As I entered everything changed. I felt the most oppressive feeling I have ever known. Everything felt wrong and I sensed I was not alone.

I stumbled through this area for what felt like an eternity. I saw what looked like shadows of humans and a shadowy dog-like figure. All I knew was that I had to get out and do it quick. It was a truly wretched place. The shadowy figures were in my opinion wraiths of some sort. The atmosphere was dark and brooding. As if it were twilight not the middle of the day.

Eventually I got out and everything returned to as it should be. The birds started singing, and a warm breeze lifted my spirits (no pun intended). I have no explanation as to what happened. I certainly didn't imagine it. It was if I had entered another realm, one I was not welcome in. It was if it had its own unique atmosphere. Maybe it was a gateway to some other world. That part of Shropshire is right on the Welsh border and I think it was once in Wales. Maybe some Celtic site of old?

The thing that most got me was the heavy atmosphere in that terrible place. It was heavy and grim. It had gotten so dark whilst I was in there. It really was another world, one of shadow and sorrow. It felt depressing and decaying all at once. Not somewhere I am planning to visit anytime soon.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, johnfitzalanblackhurst, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

johnfitzalanblackhurst (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-05-24)
Thanks for all your comments. Caz, I suppose it would be fun to go back and see what would happen! Augusta, have you looked on Youtube for Eddie Linehan? Do so. He is amazing. And manafon, I will certainly look for that book!
If anyone is on FB message me then add me. We can talk more then.
Caz (342 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-05-08)
Hi John,
What an interesting experience, but I can quite understand why you wouldn't want to repeat it! I just wanted to ask if you spoke to the friend who owned the land about it? Perhaps others have had the same experience in that place!
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-05-02)
I like Manafon's theory - it makes a lot of sense. I also thought possibly fairies. What you related also sounds a great deal like the accounts of those who have had accidental encounters with the fairy realm. Also I seem to recall the dog entity having been tied in with some such experiences. As stated in one reference, "In the Highlands though there is the belief in the cu sith or 'fairy dogs'." (https://ericwedwards.wordpress.com/2014/05/24/the-lore-and-legend-of-the-black-dog/)
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-05-01)
Hi johnfitzalanblackhurst - What you describe sounds very much like what some refer to as a time slip and others still as a sort of "apparitional drama". In the many paranormal reports from Versailles, people have reported with some regularity experiencing the grounds and people there as if they had suddenly traveled back a couple of hundred years.

I bring up these Versailles reports because in just about all of them the people having the experience mention a heaviness in the atmosphere, a feeling of oppression and that the sky seemed darkened, almost as if it were flatter or more akin to the backdrop of a stage. Far from being evil, it seems this feeling is some sort of a side effect of the apparitional drama or time slip.

Whatever you experienced, it certainly does seem paranormal. You might want to go onto amazon and pick up the book
Hauntings and Apparitions: An Investigation of the Evidence by Andrew Mackenzie. The chapter The Ghosts of Versailles has reports of several people that mirror your own experience (although taking place elsewhere) very closely. It might give you a bit of comfort. Thanks for sharing your account.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: