You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Did I Just Feel The Prescene Of A Murder Victim?

Real Ghost Stories

Did I Just Feel The Prescene Of A Murder Victim?

 

It turns out the history of my area was a lot darker than I had previously assumed and knowing me... I was fascinated, intrigued yet spooked when I had discovered this out in a local history book.

This murder happened at least 200 years ago, in a area which remnants still even stand today, which is incredible if you think about it. The area is completely covered over by trees and was formerly a mine that produced immense amounts of pennystone (clay) and coal in it's hay day.

My experiences haven't just happened in my local graveyard... They have happened all over my neighbourhood, which has been ripe with morbid history for over three centuries.

From entire families dying in mining pit disasters to soldiers dying at war in France... You can expect some spooks around.

However, the murder in 1812 which happened not to far from where I reside is enough to give me chills, especially when people walk idlely by this exact spot without any idea what happened there.

The incident in question happened where a old colliery bridge used to once stand, where carts would be transported over. The remnants that are left are just the lower foundations of this bridge but it's enough to leave a mark.

It should be said this area was always a Quarry before it became a nature reserve, which you can still walk through.

To put it simply... The incident in question was...

An old man's body had indeed been found exactly where those walls stand now.

At the bottom of a deep pit, all bloody and alone.

His full name I will not disclose due to safety and privacy reasons but his name was 'William' and his house had been completely ramsacked.

It honestly saddened me how somebody could do that to an elderly man and leave him there to die all alone.

After reading this story in the book, I will say this was a documented case with at least 22 witnesses, luckily his murderer was indeed caught and hanged... But something tells me that William is lurking around that area still.

Even now, I still feel something heavy yet troubled down that path. Most of the time I can't even bring myself to go down it due to the anxious feeling I get in my stomach, I know no person is there... Yet it feels as if I'm being gazed back at by someone everytime I look down it.

Today, I finally stomached the courage to go see the remnants of the bridge on my own and they did indeed have a beautiful yet haunting look to them.

I was thinking about William at the time and I felt sympathy for him, his life ending in such a horrible way with his throat cut.

That's when I felt a cold presence surround me, now do keep this has been a warm, summers day... With hardly any breeze to cause such a chill.

I felt like running at that point because I started to feel anxious so I did... But for some reason I walked back and found myself whispering "I'm sorry for what happened to you... You never deserved to die like that."

The cold presence seemed to linger with me for a while before I felt what seemed to be a reassuring hand on my shoulder, I did panic and whip around as you'd expect but nobody was there at all.

I don't know about you, but I do indeed think that was William. Whatever he wanted I do not know but in any case, I do think I'll think twice before going down there again.

If ever I do go that is.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Cecil-XII, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+8
6 years ago (2018-07-25)
I meant to post when I initially read this on Monday but ran out of time. However, the ensuing conversation with the OP has not exactly bolstered my credulity or rousted me from the fence.

The reason I ran out of time on Monday was because the details in this account had intrigued me so I spent a bit of time googling trying to find the case. Now, perhaps my google-fu is lacking but after trying half a dozen advanced searches with as many combinations of key words (murder, ruins, William, throat, ransacked, elderly, 1812, 1811, 1813 etc) I couldn't find a thing.

The whole thing sounds like a twist on 'Silas Marner'.

The reasons provided for withholding information don't really jive with the type of information requested. Does the OP believe that some nutter is going to go to the library, check out the book, find the article mentioned, glean location information from it, find his/her way to said ruined bridge then proceed to knock on every door for a ten mile radius to see if anyone answers to the "username" of 'Cecil' and then have his/her nutty evil way with them? I understand and respect a concern for one's safety but that is truly beyond far fetched.

Perhaps the XII was in reference to the OP's age.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-24)
Miracles - the name of that book is the best kept secret after the formula for Coca-Cola. 😜
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-24)
I see Cecil is a guest again. I agree with you, lady-glow. I see absolutely no logical reason why the name of a book could not be given. It would certainly lend credibility to a story that appears to need it.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-07-23)
Cecil - I'm really bad a sugar-coating my words and I apologize beforehand if my comment comes too blunt and aggressive.

Though I understand and applaud your concerns about your safety, I just cannot see how sharing the name of a book that has been published and, surely, read by numerous people, would threaten in any way your privacy... It's not like I'm expecting or demanding to know any of your personal information.
Has anyone ever knocked at your door or began stalking you after reading the book? - I'm sure the answer is "NO".

William's story is already out for anyone to read and withholding the details that could make your story richer is, in my opinion, acting like the schoolyard bully bringing a toy to play with during recess, just to tell his classmates they aren't allowed to even look at it.

Sometimes providing a little information can shed some interesting historic facts about a poster's original narrative, like the following example:
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=25797

In both your stories you have decided to mention the existence of additional information but refused to share it with us. I'm sorry but, it would have been better not to tease the reader/s by telling us "there's more to this but...no...no...it's not for you to read!"

That's the way I feel.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-07-23)
Greetings Cecil,

This is an interesting account. I agree, it would be nice to know the title or author of the book. I'm hoping you can clarify something for me though. In one of your comments, you stated:

"I tried making an account which was a bit more of an interesting experience that was more realistic than my last story. At least people are liking this."

It almost sounds like you created this story (meaning it is not a real life experience)? I truly hope this isn't the case. It just came across a bit confusing so I thought I would ask. I hope you understand, as sometimes this happens here.

- Dee
Cecil-XII (guest)
-3
6 years ago (2018-07-23)
Greetings lady-glow,

My goodness you seem to be liking my stories, but I might as well explain this, I take my privacy very seriously... It's more of a personal matter which I don't want to disclose and that also relates to my area.

I only hope you can respect my opinion, I'm not trying to be disrespectful towards you, I just take my safety seriously.

But in all regards, I'm glad you enjoyed the story, I'm trying to make my content somewhat diverse.

Kind regards, Cecil.
Cecil-XII (guest)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-23)
Hello, RC-Ruskin.

I admit it was quite the spooky experience and the place in question is quite dark but isn't a ditch, it's more like a path with a very low dip and it is lower than the actual landscape usually, I suppose you do have a point there.

It is quite a lovely and quiet place, but the path itself feels off sometimes, I don't know why. It just gets that 'strange' feeling.

The entire mine is actually completely capped and has been for many years, so it won't be risky. But I have noticed the land has slowly dipped.

Anyway, it was lovely hearing from you and your very welcome for this story.

I tried making an account which was a bit more of an interesting experience that was more realistic than my last story. At least people are liking this.

Thank you for commenting.:)

Kind regards, Cecil.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-22)
To be honest, I don't get why you need to "not disclose due to safety and privacy reasons", his full name if, after all, there's a book telling his story, isn't it? 🤔

Could you, at least, provide the name of the book?

Nicely written story... I would LOVE to read that book.😯
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-20)
Well, it certainly was a spooky experience.

From the way you describe the scene, I have the impression that you were in a gully or ditch of some sort, lower than the surrounding landscape generally, even if only by a foot or so. Thus, a cooler breeze shouldn't be too much of a surprise even on a hotter day.

And, whether you encountered poor William or not, it does sound like a nice place to go hiking generally, with the general caveat of watching out for that old quarry/mine. If you fall in, you may not be missed for a while.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: