You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Great Gmom

Real Ghost Stories

Great Gmom

 

This was my first encounter with a ghost, and the only one that I cannot say to myself "well MAYBE it was just this or that". I know what I saw. This is not a scary experience, so if that is what you are hunting for I'm afraid my story is not for you. It is absolutely true though.

I was young, around 8 or 9, I honestly don't remember how old I was but it was around there. I was in West Virginia with some family as my great grandmother had just passed. We were at my great aunt's house, her house was set up a bit strange as it was not a very big place, but it had two kitchens... One upstairs, one downstairs. We always stayed downstairs as there was more room down there and it had a more cozy feeling compared to the "fancy" kitchen/dining room upstairs. My aunt always kept more food in the downstairs fridge, where the upstairs one was filled mostly with drinks.

Anyway, I was given permission to go upstairs and get myself a soda. Going up the stairs put you at the end of a hallway, to your right is the kitchen, left leads to the front door, straight ahead leads to bedrooms, a bathroom, and one little room that was kind of a living room area. There was a small couch, a rocking chair, tv, etc. For some reason I walked straight past the kitchen and stopped in the hallway directly outside of the living room, realizing what I had done, I went to turn around and my eyes scanned past the living room. I thought I saw something and did a double take. Sure enough, my great grandmother was sitting in the rocking chair looking toward the television. I stared at her for a moment before she turned her head and looked at me with a smile, I looked for a couple more seconds before turning and running back downstairs.

I was scared when I saw her, but I in no way felt threatened... My fear came from my mind not being able to understand what I was seeing, I understood what death was at the time, I knew she should not have been there. It is now a comforting memory I have though, as I can still clearly picture her smiling at me.

So that's it, I appreciate anyone who read this knowing that it would not be a horror encounter. I also know that many of you are just dying to know (as I would be) if I got my soda... Sadly, I did not.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from West Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tedo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-08-17)
Greetings Tedo,

Welcome to YGS. I don't have much to add here... I really enjoyed your account and I'm glad you can look back on this experience and know your Great Grandmother paid you a special visit. 😊

Thanks for sharing ❤
Dee
Aporetic (5 stories) (125 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-08-16)
Greetings Tedo,

Thanks for sharing this heart-warming encounter with us and how lucky you are to have this lovely memory of your Great Gmom. Sorry about the soda. It would have been an even greater read had you included perhaps mentioning your experience with the family - maybe they saw her too.

Not all narratives on YGS are horror movie material. On the contrary - many of them are tear-jerkers, so keep the tissue paper close by.

Regards
Apo
Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-08-16)
Tedo hi!

Not all stories should be scary, some stories are quite lovely like this one. It's nice knowing that your great grandnan is already at peace knowing that your memory of her, is her smiling at you. Thanks for sharing!

Z ❤ ❤ ❤
Tweed (35 stories) (2498 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-08-15)
Tedo, this is going straight to faves. Just loved it.

These are the kind of mundane ghost encounters I love too.
When I was a kid one of our neighbours had a weird house setup like that. I used to get lost in it.
So glad you had this experience. You'll treasure it forever.😊

Thanks for the laugh at the end!
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-08-15)
Tedo - These are the types of experiences I enjoy reading. No gory horror, just a nice old granny sitting in her rocking chair. I'd like my grandchildren to see me like that one day - if they have to see me, that is. Not with a cigarette in one hand and a glass of wine in the other! 😊

Regards, Melda
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-15)
Welcome to YGS.

Tedo - what a lovely and interesting experience.
I think your G-G-mother was still around her family. Have you ever mention this experience to any of your relatives? Perhaps some one else saw her too.

Thanks for sharing and, I'm sorry you didn't get your soda that day.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: