You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Engineering Building

Real Ghost Stories

The Engineering Building

 

Somewhere in the Philippines, there is this engineering building I've spent most of my college life in. Now, I get to see it twice a week for my part-time teaching classes. During the day, the halls of the building are brimming with life, but at night, when everyone has left the building, the cold, the dark and the quiet that would greet you would send chills down your spine. Through the years I've known the building I've heard of many spooky stories, but for now, I am sharing with you some of my stories - those that I've personally experienced as a student, and as an instructor.

Story Number 1: Candle Scent

We just successfully defended our research paper. Our team aced the defense and we were beyond joyful. Finally, we could release the stress and most importantly, get off of our (then) best corporate get-ups. We loved our outfits but as Engineering students who were about to get dinner and head home, we opted for comfort over style - it was 9PM on a weeknight after all. Since we were all girls, we all went to the same rest room (public with cubicles). There were a lot of chitchat and a lot of laughing and goofing around that we didn't notice we were the only ones left, but since we were "residents" of that building, we paid no attention to the cold and dark, plus we were there so it wasn't quiet. When we were walking down the hallway of the fourth floor, I caught the scent of a burning candle. I tried shrugging it off owing to the fact that there are several Chemical laboratories on the fifth floor and there may be people conducting experiments there, but then, my group mate stopped in her tracks and said, "Can you smell that?" My brain went into overdrive and in a span of two seconds, I have put two and two together - No way should a smell of a burning candle reach the fourth floor at that hour.

First, there were no classes nor experiments held because it was already 9PM on an exam week, and all the lights of the building were off. Second, the next building is so far and we can actually see it from a distance and there's no burning candle anywhere. Third, in between these buildings, there's an empty canteen and an empty space and there really is no one there. Fourth, all classrooms were open, all lights were off, there's no sight or sign of a burning candle anywhere. And so, before I could think of the 5th reason, we ran like crazy to the ground floor. And believe it or not, the smell of the burning candle followed us all the way to the ground floor. We got out of the building, and the school entirely in record time.

Then we of course posted our encounter online. The comment of one of our professors got our attention.

He said, "He just wanted to say Hi. He doesn't harm people."

We were definitely spooked.

Story Number 2: Bridge

Back in college, almost all of our major subjects required research papers. And so, this story took place after another successful defense of one of the many research papers I submitted.

It was 7PM, I just successfully defended my research paper and then I realized, I still haven't submitted the final requirement for my Sociology class. I decided to submit it then since the drop box was only two buildings away, and all these buildings were connected with footbridges so I thought I'd just stretch and walk it out. I was approaching the bridge of the Engineering building to the next building when I felt weird chills, but grades > chills so I just kept walking.

Right in the middle of both buildings, I heard a loud but low sound - kind of like the sound of a very heavy object being dragged across the floor. I didn't mind it, thinking it was just the store restocking. But the sound grew louder and louder, the wind picked up its pace too, until the sound felt like it was surrounding me. I was scared out of my wits of course, but I tried to act strong thinking that it might bother me more if I had shown how scared I actually was. The closer I get to the next building, the louder and closer the sound got - it was making me dizzy. I counted the steps...three, two, one, I crossed the bridge and then the weird sound was gone. Of course, I crossed the bridge again going back but that time, I made sure there were a lot of people.

Story Number 3: Moan/Cry

This happened very recently. I was quite busy discussing about our lesson for that day when suddenly, me and my class felt a gust of wind, followed by a "moan" or "cry". It was loud, loud enough to stop me from discussing, and loud enough to bother my students. We all looked at each other in the eye, and they asked me, "Ma'am, did you hear that? What was that?" The next building was visibly empty and there was no way that sound came from there. It was very clear and very loud, kind of like it just came from outside the room - but again, there was no one there. I just told them to shrug it off and continued with the lesson.

I don't know if all I've experienced are truly paranormal but I can't explain them either.

Other hauntings by chloe26

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, chloe26, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

chloe26 (3 stories) (17 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-14)
[Apo] Thank you! I'll do that the next time I encounter them again.

[lady-glow] LOL! Now that you're saying that, I'm thinking the moan/cry we've hard that windy day might've been a joker friend of one of my students, just like you. 😁
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-09-14)
lady-glow - I've detected a different pitch to the caterwauling outside my bedroom window at night. My cat isn't allowed out at night. Do you astral travel?

Regards, Melda
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-09-14)
chloe - thanks for the additional information about your narrative, it helps to get a clearer idea of the events.

As a side note, reading your story reminded me of my days at university. I had a group of friends whom happened to live relatively close to my area and we would wait for each other to walk together to the subway station.

There was a professor that seemed to forget to check his watch and, to our chagrin, keep some of my friends after 8:00 pm when his lesson was supposed to end.

Being the joker of the group, I would get close to the classroom's window and began performing a very convincing rendition of a cat meowing, making the students laugh and get restless at the sound of a feline, usually the professor would stop his blabbering and call it a day.
Except for my friends, everyone was convinced that there was a cat outside the classroom!

Take care.
Aporetic (5 stories) (125 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-09-13)
Thanks for the feedback, chloe. The japenese Army occupation certainly puts a spin on events - the girl could have been used for their filthy pleasures (against her will, as usually is the case), and I'm starting to believe that these random occurences are cries for help. Perhaps when you hear or smell something again you can tell them to go toward the light and mention that they will find the comfort of family and friends there? Just a suggestion seeing how they don't appear malicious or mischievous.

Regards
Apo
chloe26 (3 stories) (17 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-09-13)
Hi Aporetic,

Thank you for your comment. 😊

Yes, I did ask our Professor. He mentioned a resident "being" (probably a ghost) who occasionally makes people feel his presence.

Also, the building was built 30 years ago, but the entire campus was home to a Japanese army during WW2 which was bombed to dust - so that gives perspective on history.

While I agree that the recent moan/cry we've heard must've just been the wind, I'd have to say, my encounter back at the footbridge sounded nothing like the wind, nor did it feel like it too.
chloe26 (3 stories) (17 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-09-13)
Hi Haven,

Thank you for your comment. My classes are at night so I guess I'd just keep a lot of company since I have no choice. 😆
chloe26 (3 stories) (17 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-09-13)
Hi lady-glow,

They really are puzzling. Below are my responses to your queries.

Story number 1: I did ask him and he mentioned that there's this particular being (I think he referred to a ghost) residing in our building. They have a name for him too. He mentioned a lot of people have experience being said hello to, including him.

Story number 2 - It was nearing the end finals week at that time and most final exams finish before 7 so there were little to no students in campus anymore, they were already off celebrating that exams are over.

Story number 3 - The moan/cry might've just been the wind - that's true, but it was super clear you can actually distinguish it was coming from a girl.

Thank you for your comment and reminder. 😊
chloe26 (3 stories) (17 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-09-13)
Hi Melda,

The building itself was built as it is used (home to Engineering students and faculty) some 30 years ago, but history says the entire campus was home to a Japanese army during WW2 which was bombed to dust - so that gives perspective on history.

I think you're right. I usually experience the "scent phenomenon" but if it is relevant to me, I'm usually the only one that can smell it. We were a group then and we've all smelled the burning candle so maybe he really just wanted to say hello.

I hope whatever was in the bridge was just there by accident, would really be extra freaky if it just wanted to mess with me.

The moan/cry might've just been the wind - that's true, but it was super clear you can actually distinguish it was coming from a girl.

Thank you very much for your comment.
😊
chloe26 (3 stories) (17 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-13)
Hi Sleeping-with-steve,

Thank you for your comment. ❤

Yes, it really is frightening, but as scary as it may seem, it is also very familiar and feels really comfortable for me so I keep coming back to it (but I will definitely run should anything like this happen again).
Aporetic (5 stories) (125 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-12)
Greetings, chloe26

I'm most interested in the candle scent experience because a professor responded that: "He just wanted to say Hi. He doesn't harm people." I'd like to know whether you asked this professor who he is, or whether you did your own research - have students and/or lecturers reported this activity before? Was this spirit a student or lecturer who died on campus (in that building) and why their spirit lingers? Perhaps it is not just saying 'hi', but seeking help to cross over? There must be some fascinating history attached to the university, especially the old buildings. What coulda, shoulda, woulda happened there. If I were a sociology student I'd be curious about the events that led up to my experience.

There's much speculation in your other encounters and though I'm not discounting them, I'd look deeper for possible reasons why it happened (echoes, wind), especially since sound travels in a quiet environment, and become much more amplified.

Regards
Apo
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-12)
Hi Chloe -

Scary stuff you've experienced. Has the building or school always been that? Looks like that area might have some history.

If I had to study or work there I would make sure to always be around people and never stay late or wonder around by myself.

Take care.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-09-12)
Hi Chloe - those sure are some puzzling events. I have some questions about your narrative.

Story number 1: did you ever ask the professor what he meant by:
"He just wanted to say Hi. He doesn't harm people."
Do you think he's aware who or what is causing the candle scent?

Story number 2 - were there any other students around when all this happened? It's not clear to me if you were the only one around though, I would expect a campus to be a crowded place.

Story number 3 - in my opinion, even if "The next building was visibly empty and there was no way that sound came from there", doesn't necessarily mean that no one was there.
Were the windows open? Was it a windy day? Would it be possible that the cry was an echo or the sound of the wind?

Remember always to rule out the mundane explanations before assuming something to be paranormal.

Thanks for sharing.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-09-12)
chloe26 - Do you know what the building was before it became the engineering building and how old the building is? Brand new buildings can be haunted as well, so I don't suppose it makes a huge difference but it would be interesting to know.

The professor who commented that "he just wanted to say hi..." is probably quite correct. The way this particular spirit attracts attention is by the scent of a burning candle. Many people experience this "scent" phenomenon. If you knew the person in life and they used a particular perfume, or smoked (if you smell tobacco smoke) then you would know who they are.

It is quite possible that you met up with the entity on the bridge purely by accident - you just both happened to be at the same place at the same time. I'm not saying that that is the case. It might have been a mischievous spirit trying to have a bit of fun with you, or it might have been residual.

The moan or cry that you heard was probably more of the same. It might not have been anything paranormal at all but possibly also a lost soul letting people know that it was there.

Speaking from my own experience, I have only come across one entity which was not benign and went out of its way to terrify me. It looked nasty and acted nasty 😨 All the rest which I have encountered have been benign. That doesn't mean that you want even the benign ones hanging around but unfortunately some of us are sensitive to the presence of the paranormal!

Regards, Melda
Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-11)
Hello Chloe26

I don't think I'd still be in the building if I heard all that. I would have run away as fast as possible.

Frightening stuff.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

😘 ❤ 😘

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: