You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Keeping Watch

Real Ghost Stories

Keeping Watch

 

When we first moved to Concord, New Hampshire in July 1995 we lived in a small 2 bedroom condo near downtown. Really cute place, great for two adults (not great when we had kiddo #1 which is why we left - too small, no yard, etc.) The original building was quite old and had been partially destroyed by fire in the 1980's but was rebuilt, maintaining much of the original beams. I understand it had to be that way in order for them to rebuild on the site as the set-backs from the street were not current code and the building could only be grandfathered if it was restored using a certain percentage of the original materials. That certainly explained why we sometimes smelled burned wood in the apartment! We used one bedroom as our sleeping area and the other was set up as a home office as I was initially working from home.

While working in the office not long after we moved in, I had the sensation of being watched. It wasn't scary, just a little unsettling. This continued on and off for a few days - again, I didn't feel threatened, just felt like someone was watching me. I sensed that this presence was male, probably in his late 20's/early 30's, and wearing some kind of an old fashioned uniform. I never really "saw" this person; it was just a feeling or impression I got.

I mentioned the sensation of being watched to my husband and he just stared at me. He said, "from the closet, right?". Yep. "And definitely a guy in a uniform, like an old-time police uniform." Yes again. Mind you, we had NEVER discussed it before. He had seen/sensed the same thing in that room. Weird.

Our friend came to visit us in late September that year and he slept in that room. Guess what he said to us the next morning? "You guys know you have a ghost in your closet, don't you?" Now that made three of us who had seen/sensed it.

After our daughter was born, we used that room as her bedroom. She never saw the man; I think maybe he was aware that he might frighten her because of the uniform (?) and therefore only made his presence known to adults. Who knows?

Some time later, my husband and I were at the Museum of NH History in downtown Concord, looking at some old maps of our neighborhood. It was clear that the house we lived in was located on what was the grounds for the original state prison in the early 1800s and the original building on our site was used as a barracks for the prison guards. Ding! Ding! Ding! THAT explained the uniform! We were so excited to discover this.

I've never met the people who live there now. I'm often tempted to stop by and ask if they ever see the guard in that room. I hope that he crossed over, but if not, that he is happy keeping watch over the folks who share that space with him.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LJG2886, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-14)
Great story and excellent validation. 😊 I have the same question as Melda; Was this the first time you or your husband had picked up on a spirit?

Looking forward to your response, thanks for sharing. 😊

Dee
Aporetic (5 stories) (125 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-09-13)
Apologies for getting your nick wrong - LJG2886.

Go well
Apo
Aporetic (5 stories) (125 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-13)
Greetings, LJJG886

Fantastic read. I especially loved the ending: "I hope that he crossed over, but if not, that he is happy keeping watch over the folks who share that space with him."

If you ever decide to pop in and ask the new family about the soldier, please update us too.

Great that you and your husband had an open mind about the experience and later discovered the history that explained the uniformed spirit. He must still feel a need to protect.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards
Apo
LJG2886 (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-13)
Hi Melda,

I don't think either one of us is particularly sensitive to spirits. It was definitely a first-time experience for the both of us. I'm glad that my experience was positive, I'll say that much:)
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-13)
LJG - Firstly I would like to ask you whether you and your husband are sensitive to the paranormal or whether this was a first time experience for both of you?

This uniformed guy was obviously very benign and had no intention to scare anybody at all.

You were very fortunate to discover the history of your old home, so everything makes sense to you. Although you don't know his name, you know why he's there.

I too hope that he has crossed over and has reached the space where he belongs.

Regards, Melda
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-09-12)
WOW! I love stories like this, in which a little digging through history uncovers the facts behind some paranormal activity.

Thanks for sharing this interesting experience and welcome to YGS.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: