You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Dark Figure In The Fruit Cellar

Real Ghost Stories

The Dark Figure In The Fruit Cellar

 

My sister and I were staying the evening with my mom. She lived in one of those creepy old farm houses in the country. We had been there on several occasions and never had anything out of the ordinary happen.

I am a smoker and one night it was really cold and I didn't want to stand outside. We decided to go down into the basement and sit by the wood burner to keep warm. Next to the room where we were sitting was a closet size room that was once used as a fruit cellar. It had long and tall shelves with canning jars still sitting there.

We were talking and then we heard a very odd commotion in the cellar. We stopped to listen assuming it was a mouse. We could hear the jars moving slightly. We found this a bit odd that a mouse could move a jar. We went into the room to investigate- what we saw truly terrified us.

There was a cloudy black figure in the upper left hand corner of the room. It seemed to just be suspended there. We tried to flee the room. However, we were unable to move. It was like being frozen in fright. The figure seemed to be looking at the jars. It never moved. It didn't have the form of a body almost like a blob of blackness-very thick blackness.

We finally turned and ran from the basement and to this day will not go back to her home. I found this very scary, something I never believed in. Now I have to.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, missykel, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
Hi missykel. I think a good place to start is with the history of the house and/or the land. When you check into it, you might find some useful info that could help you figure out or understand what's happening.I'm really curious as to what your Mom feels or sees in the house. Maybe she even knows something about the history. Thanks for sharing your story.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Hello, missykel.
It really sounds like the previous canner of the house was checking her wares. I am wondering if there was any EMOTION behind the sighting (aside from the fear, I mean), such as anger, happiness etc. I would tend to lean toward this being a residual haunting, but then, no one tried to communicate with it, so it would be difficult to ascertain.
Thank you.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Please take heed in what Rhodes stated, simply because this entity seemed to manifest in a dark color it does not mean that it is dark in nature. Manifestation requires a lot of energy and all though there are many theories, none of us knows exactly how it works. This may have been the only form of manifestation this entity could manage.

I am curious, do you have any idea as to the history of this farm house? How long has it been since you have been back there?

God Bless!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
I have not read the previous comments so forgive me if I repeat anything previously said. From your description I get a sense of a past owner checking his/her provisions in his/her cellar. And yet, since the whole encounter lacks communication or any sort of interaction between you and the figure, it would be hard to tell if it was intelligent or residual haunting.

Do not think that just because the figure was a 'blob of darkness', it was necessarily bad. Maybe that was all the energy it had been able to gather in order to manifest.

Farm houses are known to have a lot of energy and a 'rich' past. I'd love to know if your mom had ever experienced anything!
TWD03 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Thanks for the story. I think the basement is the creepiest place in a house. I came across a video on youtube of a guy who has a poltergeist in his basement scary stuff.
My advice to you is first stop smoking, I did, it will kill you. It made you go to the basement, if it wasn't for it you wouldn't have encountered the appirition. Does anyone know the differance between white and black appirition, other than color, Because I have a friend who had an ecounter with a white appirition.
ariana1424 (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
The basement in my Grandmother's old house had a room exactly like the one you described (about the size of a closet with shelves full of jars). Your story gave me chills simply because growing up, I was always inexplicably terrified of that room and refused to go near it. I never had any actual experiences other than my sister using my fear of the basement to get a laugh out of my cousins... (she came up with some pretty inventive little stunts)... But your story still brought back some of the same feelings I had about that room. That was a nice little revisit to my past. 😊
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
Hello missykel. Besides fear, what did you feel when you saw the black apparition? I mean was there an evil feeling or a non-threatening feel to the experience. To often we associate black with being evil when it is not always the case. In this case I would say it was merely a previous "occupant" checking things out. Thank you for sharing your story with us, I enjoyed it. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
Hello missykel. When something like this happens to a person who is kind of skeptical, it tends to make them a believer. This is a scary story. I hate basements too. This is why I tend to stay away from those creepy basements in old houses, except for one time, you kind of reminded me with your story, but other events happened also. I enjoyed your story, it truly is a ghost story and thanks for sharing it with us. Take care of yourself 😊
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
Very scary story, missykel! Tales like this keep me from ever feeling comfortable in basements. Thanks for sharing.
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
Thanks for the story, as for the black thing it could have been someone that knew about the jars especially since the house was old. Does your mom know anything?

Thank you for sharing your story.
princess123 (7 stories) (186 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
Hello missykel, that was a great story.

Did the blob figure thing have a sort of a shape of a head or eyes because it says it was looking at the jars.

Anyway great story! Loved it!
With Care,

Princess123 x ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: