You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Psychic / Medium :: The Woman In the Window

Real Ghost Stories

The Woman In the Window

 

I grew up in small town in Michigan and as a little girl, me and my brothers played happily in our yard. Sometimes, we would swing on the bouncy neighbors fence and he would get angry and chase us away as the fence was bending and getting grotesquely lower and lower to the ground. Most of the time, we were good kids. The older man and his wife next door were quiet and often kept to themselves. They were nice elderly people. When I would see him coming and going, at times, I would run up to him and say, "Hello, Mr., how is your Mrs..." He would nod and say she was fine. He seemed strangely sad when he said it though. I just sensed something was wrong.

His Mrs., would often sit on the front porch when the weather was fair and sometimes I would run up to the porch and say to her, "Hello, Mrs...", and wave. She rarely spoke and would just nod her head in acknowledgement. She often wore a shawl and a long dark dress. Her hair was in a gray bun and I guessed that she was pretty old. I guess she caught a chill easily is why she always seemed to have a shawl. She liked to sit in her rocking chair by the window sometimes and rock back and forth. I would wave at her when I saw her.

They say I looked like Punky Brewster. I had freckles on my nose and a short choppy hair cut. I guess I was somewhat of a tomboy because I had six brothers and three of them were younger than I was. I guess I was around the age of six or seven years old.

Everything amused me when I was young. When I would walk outside, sometimes the wind would suddenly stir up and swoosh around me and the leaves in the yard would dance around me in a perfect circle. I would just laugh and turn in a counter clock wise circle as the leaves danced around me. The wind was my friend. The trees were my friends, the butterflies, ants and crickets were my friends. I had real friends and a large family but nature seemed to talk to me in a way that always caught my imagination.

It had been a long time since I had seen the Mr., and his Mrs. I faintly remember people walking in and out of his house dressed in black. I was collecting pretty rocks in the yard and that kept my attention.

One day, I saw the Mrs., again, sitting on the front porch, rocking back and forth, wearing a dark shawl and a long dark dress. Her hair was up in a gray bun, as usual. Something seemed different this time. It seemed like she was far, far away, like in another dimension. I waved at her and she looked at me but did not speak or nod as she usually did. I saw her several times that week. Sometimes rocking on the porch and sometimes sitting in the window rocking back and forth. I was preoccupied and so I would just wave at her when I saw her in the window and go back to my playing.

Later that day, I saw the Mr., coming home and walking sadly up to his house. I ran up to him and I said, "Hello, Mr. I saw your Mrs., sitting on the porch and rocking in her rocking chair and in the window too... She was rocking back and forth..." He looked at me strangely and shook his head no. I was insistent, I know what I saw. "Yes. I imposed myself. I did see her..." He looked at me and spoke calmly and said. "My Mrs. is dead. She has been dead for a couple of weeks now..."

I was struck dumb. I did see her and I described to him what she was wearing. He looked strangely at me and sad and just walked slowly into his house. Shaking his head no.

It wasn't the last time that I saw her. I would see her every now and then and I always asked myself, every time I saw her. If she is dead, why can I see her? Shouldn't she be invisible? I wanted to speak to her but I was afraid. If she was really dead, why did she keep appearing as though she was still living?

I heard my mother talking to the neighbors and on the phone and she said she swears that she saw that woman sitting in the window, rocking in her rocking chair... The one who died. I never told mom, I saw her too. Mom would quiet down when she noticed us kids within hearing distance. My younger brothers said they didn't see her.

As I grew up, I never forgot her. I guess she and her husband had been together for so long that she couldn't leave him... Not right away. She had to visit him every now and then before she took her long journey to the other side.

I have often been visited by those who have died and passed over. Sometimes family members would make themselves known to me. My father and mother both visited me near the times of their deaths.

I have noticed that when people die, they don't go to the other side, right away. Sometimes they linger and say goodbye to those that they loved. Sometimes they get lost. Sometimes they live amongst us. I don't see them as often as I used to but every once in a while, I will see them. Sometimes, they look just as real as you and me. Sometimes, they hide in shadows, like when my father died, I sensed him standing in my closet, in the dark. My father use to spy on me trying to catch me doing something wrong. Or sometimes they float upon the ceilings, like my mother did when she visited me. They often don't mean us any harm, they often want to leave us with messages of encouragements. However, it is scary.

One day, I will die and when I think about visiting my close family and loved ones, I would like my last message to be this:

If God brings you to it,

He will bring you through it.

Happy moments, praise God.

Difficult moments, seek God.

Quiet moments, worship God.

Painful moments, trust God.

Every moment, thank God.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Epeaches, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

JessOx (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-12)
I really enjoyed this story. Maybe the Mrs. Really did want to be with her husband more. Maybe she just dosent know how to let go.
Its sad, but she will do it in her own time, when she feels ready. And you'll know when you don't see her anymore.
X
vickifigueroa (5 stories) (34 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-01)
I really enjoyed reading your story. I was just like you as a kid, loving everything that nature had to offer. And I thought it was very cool that you saw the Mrs. Even though she passed, and I completely agree when you say that when people die, they visit their loved ones to say a final goodbye. Its always nice to know that even through death we can still stop by and say a quick hello. ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-04)
Thank you, Epeaches, for educating us on the peaceful side of walking through this life path that we all are now on. Sometimes we all get so busy fighting the creepies, that we may forget to thank The Great Spirit for the very life path we are on.
Thank you.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-30)
I have only one thing to say, Epeaches...

GO BUCKEYES!

I'm sure you're not even a football fan, but I have to razz all Michigan'rs on here. Your program is bankrupt.

Thanks for sharing a cool story, though!
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-30)
Hi Epeaches. Thank you for sharing your wonderful, inspiring story. I really enjoyed it and I love your outlook. I am sure one day you'll be seen in your rocking chair only I'll bet you'll have a sweet smile on your lips.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-29)
Thank you so much for sharing your story with us, as well as your out look! Often we forget what is important, your story brought that back into focus for me.

I am so busy trying to figure out the ways and what to do withs all of the people I see, all of the messages I hear, all of the information, I foget it is a gift, life is a gift. Thank you for reminding me of that fact. You have brought me back t where I need to be.

God Bless!
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-29)
Very well written and an excellent story as well which I will put in my best loved stories.
The dead do come back and let us know they are there in some way or another. My mom did when I and my children lived in a run down trailer court you can :Read Haunted Trailer in Michigan".
I think Michigan is quite a haunted place to live at. And I live near a small town that still has it's ghost in it to.
Epeaches (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-29)
I would like to buy me a rocking chair one day. She looked so peaceful and comfortable in her rocking chair. ❤ Sometimes, I get a chill when I think of her, a coldness that goes to my bones.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-28)
Hello Epeaches. Thank you for sharing your story with us, it was absolutely delightful. It does one heart good to hear from people like you. God Bless You.

FRAWIN
BriFischer05 (14 stories) (169 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-28)
You have a beautifully positive outlook on life. Your one-ness with nature and the insight you have toward life and those around you is inspirational. I wish you all the best and a happy life. Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: