You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Something Black and Oppressive

Real Ghost Stories

Something Black and Oppressive

 

This is a story I have been told by my dad, I know he would never lie to me or even exaggerate. These stories have also been backed up by my mum. Before my sister and I were born my parents had a small house in Attleborough, Norfolk that was opposite the zoo in which they were both employed.

My brother was about 2-3 years old and had grown up in that house, since my parents had moved in, my mum (who has always been sensitive to spirits etc) would refuse to go to the toilet by herself. It was a single room down a flight of stairs in the basement (I've seen pictures and it looks very spooky). It would always get very cold down there and lights would flicker on and off, the door would unlock and swing open and in the night it would become clogged and start flushing by itself and a long shadow would often stretch in front of the door for a few seconds after it would swing open... I can hear what you're thinking, dodgy plumbing and electrics, it is a basement jacksy after all... Not quite.

When my parents first moved (remember, it's opposite Banham Zoo) my mum was pregnant with their first, my brother, and they settled down in front of the television to watch the first TV showing of the Omen. Halfway through the film the lights start flickering and an almighty bang of what seemed to be an upstairs window led my dad upstairs to investigate. There was nothing, he came back downstairs and started watching the movie again. Suddenly another bang and they could clearly hear the howler monkeys screaming in hysterics and the wolves barking and howling... Seconds after they start the power goes off completely... They haven't watched the Omen since... I assure you, my brother isn't evil.

Finally, when my brother was 2-3 years old, my dad had put him down to bed. He was quite ill at this time with respiratory problems and scarring on his lungs, it didn't seem to be getting much better at the time. After going downstairs he turns to see a figure clearly walk from the landing into my brothers room. He grabs a blunt object and races upstairs only to find my brother sitting upright staring at the door. They move out 2 months later and whilst setting him down to bed for the first time in the new house, he sleepily says "at least that man won't be in my room anymore keeping me awake". My Brother doesn't remember this at all, only that he never slept well in that house and felt cold all the time... He gradually began to recover over the next year and except from asthma is very much well.

After moving out my parents discovered that the property was once a set of 3 houses together as one block of flats that was hit during the war then eventually divided up. When they were flats they were owned by some sort of Gangster boss who, after a dispute with one of the tenants, he was shot 3 times in the chest and found underneath the floorboards in the wreckage when the flats where bombed... My dad recons it was him and was definitely NOT a friendly spirit as the atmosphere always seemed black and oppressive

Eerie or what

Other hauntings by hazzardsyndrome

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, hazzardsyndrome, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-20)
Interesting story. I'd love to visit England one day. There's so much more history there than in the US. In fact, I probably wouldn't mind living there. Somehow, I feel like that's where I belong. Living in England isn't in the cards right now, but maybe sometime.
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-04)
Hello Hazzard, would you happen to know if it was only the house your parents were in that was involved in that black out or was it a grid area blackout? If it was a grid area, the animals may have been agitated by that and therefore "sounding off" to the others as to what was on the way. If they were as active as what it seems like they were, I would say that was probably the case.
I am glad that your brother is so much better now. It would appear that his lack of sleep seemed to have compounded his problems and with the absence of the visiting man, was able to get healing rest.
Thank you for sharing this.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-01-29)
What a fascinating story. I am convinced of it accuracy, as you said, parents certainly do not make up fanciful tales, especially if one of their childrens health was involved.

From the sounds of the type of entity in the house, I have to say I am glad your parents moved on.

Thank you for sharing your story with us.
God Bless!
HazzardSyndrome (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-01-29)
ah that's it y'see,
they had no idea, either their minds were being messed with or the animals were really going nuts seconds before the black out
FRAWIN (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-01-28)
Hey Hazzard, I liked your story, it was interesting but I'm a little confused. You talk of the howler monkies and the wolves, was your parents hearing noises that sounded like these animals or were they hearing the actual animals from the nearby zoo? Either way I imagine it was frightening. Thanks for sharing. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: