You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Dark Figure at my Window

Real Ghost Stories

The Dark Figure at my Window

 

When I was a child (about 4 or 5 years old) I lived in very poor neighborhood in Texas. At that time we lived with our grandmother. The house was very old and made of adobe. Next to our house was a warehouse. My two older brothers and I shared some bunk beds. One of my older brothers slept on the top bunk and next to it was a window.

One night my brother awoke crying and screaming. He did not want to sleep on the top bunk. He was claiming that a monster was looking in the window. My mother had me sleep in that bed from then on.

One night I awoke to a dark figure wearing a fedora and a trench coat looking in the window. I could see the light from the warehouse next door right through this figure. I don't remember any eyes though. Sometimes I would wake up in middle of the night to see it pacing next to our house outside our window. I always thought it was a dream.

About twenty five years later my mother, brother and I were talking about that old house. I told my mother and brother about the ghost. I described the ghost to them and my mother had the look of fear on her face. My brother explained that he saw that same figure looking at him through that window and that is why he didn't want to sleep in that bed. My mother told us that she saw that figure in front of the house when she was walking home from work one night.

Other hauntings by CursedByDeath

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CursedByDeath, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

SomeoneUDontKnow (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-24)
LOL I never heard heard of a athletic shadow spirit who paces. New things everyday.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-06)
Hello CursedByDeath. I also agree that it was a shadow person. You mention that he just seemed to pace, that makes me think he probably was attached to the land somehow. After you moved did anyone mention seeing him again? I have my own shadow people at my house, no capes or hats though, just glimpses here and there. Pretty innocent. Thanks for sharing your story.
CursedByDeath (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-05)
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

As a show of respect to each person that has replied to my posting I will answer each individually.

Frawin:
After reading TammySue4's story titled "The Devil's Face" where she mentioned this figure, I decided to run a search and found many other peoples' stories on the internet about this figure. There are even books written on this figure. I am comforted with the fact that I am not the only one that has seen this figure. Thank you for your posting and your recommendations.

Tonith:
I would like to let you know that you are not alone. Many others have had sightings of this figure.

KimSouthO:
I am not sure if this figure was tied to the land. After reading several other stories on this site and on other sites, I'm convinced that this figure appears in many locations around the world.

whitebuffalo:
I am very pleased to hear from you again. From our correspondence, you seem like the type of person I'd like to know.

I posted this story as a response to TammySue4's story. I then decided to post it as a story of it's own. TammySue4 indicated on her story that she saw red eyes on the figure that she saw. I remarked on my story indicating that I did not see any eyes simply to clarify that the figure I saw did not have any eyes.

The thing I remember about this figure is that it was very different from other dark figures that I mentioned on my other story. This figure did not have as great facial detail and was more transparent. This figure definitely had a fedora style hat and a trench coat. I saw this being at a very close range. I don't ever remember seeing any legs. As it moved beside our house it glided back and forth. It did not look like it was walking. I hope I answered your questions.
chuzwuzum (2 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-05)
it seems that this type of shadow people is a mixture of what is known as category 2 and 3 shadow people. Category 2 shadow people are see through and are drawn to a location more than a person and have many shapes and disappear when seen. Category 3 shadow people are usually non-transparent, are drawn to a person more than a location, have only 2 known shapes (a hat wearing figure and a hooded figure) and don't really care about being discovered. I hope this helps.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-05)
Hi again Cursed.
How wonderful to see your name at the head of a story again. Ready for more questions? 😊
Was he a shadow or a full figure being? You said he had no eyes...
It does sound like a shadow person, though and there are a lot of people on here who have witnessed their sightings.

I still have never received an answer as to why they seem to be wearing "capes", hats and/or trench coat type clothing. Could it be a trail of the energy that they are made up of? So many people can not see the same thing and be wrong.
Thank you.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-04)
it sounds as if this 'entity' has some ties to the land where the home is, some un-resolved issues.
I would be veri interested in the history of the land, especially since he was always seen out side.
When you saw him, or your mother saw him, did he try to communicatte in any way?

God Bless!
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-02)
This is exactly how my shadow person looked to me as a child. They do tend to look the same with the coat and hat deal and are usually tall. Again being that you were not the only one to see it I don't think it was imagination. The ones I saw at 17 I thought were very human at the time, it only took seconds later to realize they were not. I also know of a person that would come down for her morning coffee only to see a man all in black wearing a hat sitting on her sofa. Of course when she turned the light on it was gone. I think they are a common type occurance as far as phenomenon goes but that does not make them less frightening.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-02)
Hello CursedByDeath. The figure you describe as wearing a fedora and trenchcoat reminds me of a Shadow Person that has been seen by many people. Go to wikipedia and search on shadow people. They have an article, with sketches and see if one of them looks like what you saw. Hope this helps. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: