You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Psychic / Medium :: A Premonition of Death

Real Ghost Stories

A Premonition of Death

 

I have a long history of seeing a black apparition prior to someone's death, but I had never seen this figure prior to the death of someone close to me, until this instance.

Arriving to work one Friday morning, having just parked my car, I was busy gathering my belongings when I looked up and saw a dark apparition manifest directly in front of my vehicle. I could make out the gender and some facial details of this transparent being. Struck with fear, I could not look directly at it. I turned away not believing what I was seeing. I had never seen this figure at such a close distance. My heart raced as my mind searched for an explanation. When I got the nerve to look up, it was gone.

Knowing that I had previously seen this figure prior to someone's death, I tried to determine who it was that was about to die. My oldest brother Lou and his family were in town visiting, so I immediately jumped to the conclusion that it was he that would die.

On Saturday, I received a call from by my parents inviting me to have brunch with my brother's family prior to their departure the following day. Fearing that this would be my last opportunity to spend time with my oldest brother I agreed to join them.

On Sunday, I received a call from my best friend Dave, asking me to join him in testing his son's go-kart that he just received from the shop. He wanted to test it before allowing his son drive it. I explained to him that my brother was in town and that I had made some prior commitments. I promised that I would call him immediately afterward.

Upon arriving home after having brunch with my brother and his family, my wife explained that Dave had been in an accident and told me that Dave's wife wanted me to call as soon as I got home. My heart dropped and I feared the worst.

When I called Dave's wife, she explained that Dave had been in a horrible accident and feared that he would not survive. I raced to the hospital not believing what was happening. We waited at the hospital until late that night, only to hear that my best friend had passed away.

I wonder if I could have prevented Dave's accident if I would have guessed that he would be the one to pass away and not my brother?

Other hauntings by CursedByDeath

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CursedByDeath, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Jennaleigh (1 posts)
 
5 years ago (2018-10-27)
My stepfather died years ago, he died a terrible death. Struck by lightning while fishing in Payson AZ on Fathers Day, even intensifying it with me being 7 mths pregnant. Not sure if my seeing shadows talent existed prior to that and I never made the connection, but when he died I certainly did. First, I started seeing his shadow. I knew it was his shadow because of his stand. He always had a thing when he laughed about putting his hands on his hips. He use to run around my house on walls that had no reason to have a shadow on, as there was no light casting within the room he would be running thru. My talent then extended into thoughts, I could go a while with not seeing someone, give them an odd remeberance of them in my mind just out of nowhere, within a few weeks they would pass. My husband started to actually catch onto this. I got a few years older and I started seeing shadows. I wouldn't know who they were originally until a week or two and they would pass away. Every time I would see a shadow I would tell my husband that someone was getting ready to pass away, he would ask how do you know. I would say, just saw a shadow. Originally he thought I was nuts... Until it became realization to him after the first 5 or so. I also had a knack for if I was introduced to someone, most commonly it would be a "hi, nice to meet you." type of introduction. But then the day came when I met someone and it was like I got a slap in the face sensation during the introduction. Not knowing what it meant until it happened. I guess the touching of their hand gave me a sort of sense. These people usually die a horrific death, had these individuals die from being stabbed 40 times, to being decapitated in a car accident. Now today my talent has grown into sensing something isn't right with someone, dreaming about it, then see the shadow. A couple of months ago I actually saw a ghost of a little girl in my boyfriend's apartment, she was quite angry I was there, when I layed down to sleep, this energy went through my brain feeling like static and a loud level of noise went through my brain. It lasted for about a minute causing some discomfort. I left the next morning and wouldn't return, he asked why? I told him he has a little girl ghost dressed in a white night gown that stops right above her ankles in length and she doesn't want me there. He laughed at me. I recently relocated to AZ where he called me on the phone saying my little ghost was tormenting him. I chuckled. He said, "No, I am serious!"
goingcrazy (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-27)
Dear CursedByDeath,
I believe your story because I have had the same experiences for the last 2 years. As a young child I used to hear voices. When I was 15 they stopped. However, now I am in my 30s and I have had a vision of a black shadowy figure three times that were followed by death. The first time was in the afternoon. I thought someone was in the house and within hours received a phone call that an aunt passed away. The second time I saw the figure and thought "oh no". Within 5 hours I received a phone call that my friend lost her husband. The third time I saw a smaller shadowy figure while my mother-in-law was in the hospital battling cancer. Within 24 hours she passed away. That was 6 months ago. I googled my experience and found that I am not the only person to have these premonitions.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-25)
Alex,

I could give a rats a$$ who you work for but a quick check would have shown you that the O/P last posted 5...count them 1,2,3,4,5...5 years ago.

Now if you 'cast about' I'm sure you can find some 'newer stories' that meet your criteria.

Respectfully,

Rook
paranormal_alex (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-25)
Hello CursedByDeath,

I am very touched by your experiences and your ability to share it on this forum. I am very open to what you have discussed and you are definitely not on your own. I work for a television show called 'Paranormal Witness' on Syfy. If possible I would love the opportunity to have a casual conversation with you about your experiences if you would be willing. Just something between you and me initially. If you are interested please email me at alexandra.lacey [at] raw.co.uk. I really think it would be amazing for you to be able to share your story, so that people out there who are experiencing the same things will not feel that they are on their own.

I hope to hear from you!

Best,
Alex
Oli (2 stories) (74 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-09)
My condolences to your friend. And I agree with Serenity. I don't think you could have prevented your friend's death, even if you were there with him. I hope you can let go of your guilt because it wasn't your fault.
Serenity (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-01)
I apologise for coming in to this so late - I'm reading through the archives in numerical order.

I can relate to the guilt thing, as I dreamed my brothers death long before it happened, in detail. The thing was, I'd been having a lot of 'death' dreams lately, about various different people, and just attributed the whole thing to stress. After a lot of soul-searching about whether I could have intervened and saved him, the answer was no. I was shown enough only to warn me. I saw how he died, but not when. The dream was not a warning so that I could intervene, it was a warning to prepare me for the grief to come. There is no way that you could have intervened and prevented your friends death - that was not what the warning was for as you were given no information. It was just to tell you that there were dark days coming. I hope that by now your guilt is less, and you are able to look back on your memories with a smile.

That's just my two-penneth worth anyway...
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-03)
Hello again, Cursed.
Thank you for your kind words.
I think of all of these experiences that we all go through as a learning phase of our lives. If we do not know answers and choose not to ask the questions that would provide us with what we feel are comfortable answers, we also choose to be ignorant. (For those of you who do not know how I interpret the word: Ignorance is the lack of knowledge, that is not to say that the person is "dumb" or "stupid" it just means that they are not armed with the correct KNOWLEDGE.) We do not have to LIKE the answers to be comfortable with them, we just have to accept them.
For me, the acceptance of these answers is the hardest part. 😉
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-28)
My apologies, Premon, I come across too harshly. While it may not appear as such, my criticism is meant to be constructive.

My apologies for offending you and condolences to your friend.

Thank you again for your story.
CursedByDeath (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-27)
WhiteBuffalo,

I posted this comment on Christinas story "Being Psychic is a Troublesome Gift" and would like to post it here as well.

I'm not trying to offer advice. I am just comforted (& trying to offer some comfort to others) that someone else is having the same experience. I just want to let other's know that they are not alone.

I've lived with this as long as I can remember and have not shared my story with many people. When I have shared my experiences, I have only received disbelief or critisism in return. So I know how alone you can feel.

WhiteBuffalo, your words of wisdom are helping me cope with my experiences. Please keep them comming. I wish there were more people like you. Thanks.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
That is understandable. Most who do not have a gift tend to be a bit leery of hearing what is about to transpire. I personally would not want to know that perhaps today I will be hit by a train on the way to work.
My only reason is that I try to live everyday as if it is my last. I know for most people that sounds about as sane as jumping out of the backseat of an open Jeep and into the San Diego Bay over the top of the bridge, but it has been done 😉 and the person did survive (after spending a few nights rent free with provided meals). But I would like to think at the end of my life when I am looking back on it all, that I tried my best to BE my best. And if I think I know that tomorrow will be my last, how much more will I express myself to those who are most important to me than I would on a daily basis?
To me, that is not how it should be, we should do all those "Last Day" things all the time, and not just on our last day.
And people do tend to turn their backs on things they do not understand. This gift that you have is hard to comprehend. I can see why you are reluctant to share the occurrences as you have been hurt by so called true friends in the past. You just have to stand firm and be strong in YOUR TRUTH. So they can not understand, so what? Ask questions, do your research, find out all you can about this gift that was bestowed upon you. There is a reason for The Great Spirit trusting you with it.
What I think happened was that when you were younger and able to see so much more you may have begun getting the negative feedback and therefore, somehow you modified what you could sense. Essentially, I think you "shut out" most of the ghosts, and were left with premonitions. As I said before, that is a tough responsibility. Not one that I think I could deal with on my own. That is why I asked you who you had to sound off on.
This is already too long, but I hope I helped you out.
CursedByDeath (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
Hi WhiteBuffalo,

Although I've seen many strange things in my life. Primarily I'm very aware of impending death or upcoming births. When I was a child I was very sensitive to all spirits.

Currently there is one friend that I've discussed this matter with. I've lost friends when trying to speak of these things. This is why I've chosen this forum to express my experiences.

My wife is very supportive in my life, but she does not want to know when someone is going to die. She does not want me to discuss my "gift".
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
That is interesting, Cursed. So basically you just see impending death or upcoming births?
That would be quite a responsibility to try to endure. I wonder, who do you "sound off" to when the day is done? Do you have a good supporter? You mentioned your wife, I would assume that she supports you in all of your endeavors, but assuming is not always good.
Thank you for answering so quickly.
CursedByDeath (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
Mustang and WhiteBuffalo,

I don't just see death prior to it's happening. It's just the one I have the most difficult time dealing with. It's a subject I find hard to discuss with anyone. That's why I posted it here.

I'm able to sense when a woman is expecting prior to their knowledge of it. (No I was not the person that made them that way, except my wife.) I'm not visited by a ghost foretelling the birth. I see a faint white aura around women that are expecting. From my experience even this is not always good news.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
Hello CursedByDeath. All the questions I had have been answered. Well, except one. I want to know, like whitebuffalo, if you only see premonitions of death? Do you have premonitions of anything good?
I can empathise with you about how you feel. Don't feel guilty about someone's death, you do not know for sure who it's going to happen to. I can understand how you feel that this is a curse. I would feel the same way. I am sensitive to people being hurt or killed and I know I would not be able to handle seeing this figure before someone's death and not even know who was going to die. You are correct when you said you stick your neck out when you tell people things like this. You just have to take things with a grain of salt and not worry about what everyone thinks. Everyone has their own opinion. Only you know what you go through! If someone chooses not to believe you even after you have answered questions, filled in the blanks, etc., then that's their choice. Don't worry about it. Thanks for sharing your story and keep us updated.

Shelby ❤ 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
No offense taken FRAWIN (Ah, the jokes I could share with you), fire away.

Hello, Cursed.
Hun, I am wondering something here. I read through the comments, so I think I have a pretty good grasp about what you are talking about. I could be wrong in my own mind, but I am thinking I could be close.
I am wondering, do you only get premonitions of Death? Are there no times in all of your recollections of something that foretold of something good happening to someone you know? I ask as I have a friend who I would assume felt much the same way as I think you do. He was bogged down by these feelings of impending danger at just about every turn. Eventually after years of dealing with these things on his own he began to speak out. He did not go to the people he had these feelings about, but he did go to someone who was close to that person and voice his concern.
After he started talking about these things, I am not sure exactly how to word it, but through all of the experiences we (a group of us collectively) started to see that not all of them we foretelling of death. Some of them only had us in a position to stop something (By the way, when it is your time, it is your time. No amount of fighting it off will stop what The Great Spirit already had planned.) that really did not need to be stopped. But it did get us together a lot more often.
Thank you.
FUNNYLAUGH (23 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
you should try to stop these things happening!
But its not that easy, good luck mate
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
Well CursedByDeath, there were a lot of questions asked and a lot of answers given, thank you for replying. It gives you credibility in my eyes. I feel somewhat like bogienova. Don't feel guilty, well, you shouldn't feel guilty. I can understand why you would have thought your brother was in danger, he was closer to you than your friend. Please know you are not at any fault. I don't blame you for believing this is a curse, it's not something I could handle either.
bogienova (10 stories) (38 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
You are going to be ok. Maybe by being open about your experiences you can start forgiving yourself. You didn't cause any of these incidents, you merely perceived them prior to their occurence...
Much peace to you,
Bogienova
CursedByDeath (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
Hi Bogienova,

Thank you for understanding. I do not hold ill will towards anyone. I know that I'm sticking my neck out in telling about my experiences. I do acknowledge that there will always be those that do not believe in what they have not personally experienced.
CursedByDeath (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
No worries Frawin. I wish this was coincidental. I have experienced this too many times for it to be coincidental.
bogienova (10 stories) (38 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
Sometimes there are heralds to a death that only sensitive people can pick up. My aunt told me that the night before her aunt died in a basic surgery that she saw an old man walking with two black dogs through their family living-room ending their walk straight through the living-room wall.
Don't feel bad about Frawin, he doesn't believe my stories either 😢 😜.
Good luck,
Bogienova
CursedByDeath (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
My response to Ohiowatha...

I have experienced quite a few deaths in my life. I worked as a nurse for a short while. I left this career because of this. All of the deaths in my life have happened as an adult.

I do not see an apparition prior to every death and this only happens when someone I know dies.

Hindsight is twenty-twenty. Prior to this incident, I would not consider a go-kart a dangerous vehicle. Many parents take their kids to go-kart parks every year without incident.

My brother was traveling by airplane. Out of both modes of travel, I consider airplanes more dangerous.

Although I have seen this figure before, I had never seen this apparition at such a close distance. No matter how many times you experience something like this, you never want to believe what you are seeing. Seeing this apparition at a distance is one thing. Seeing this apparition, "that close" is freighting.

I described this apparition in KimSouthO's response.

I do not and will not try to warn anyone about what may happen, because I never know who will die. I can guess but what if I am wrong? How would you feel if you told the wrong person that they were going to die? How would it affect your relationship with the person? How would it affect their lives?

I've lived with the guilt of my friend's death. I wonder if I could have saved his life.
FRAWIN (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
Hello CursedByDeath. I would like to apologise to you for the remarks that I made. In my vain attempt to be humorous I offended you, for this I am truly sorry. I shall be more careful on the future.

Here is something to think about. Maybe you seeing the apparation and the deaths of your friends is purely coincidental. Maybe in your attempt to make sense of it all you just think they are related. Just something to think about. Take Care.

FRAWIN
CursedByDeath (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
KimSouthO,

Prior to this experience, I had never seen this apparition directly. I would usually get a glimpse of it.

On this one instance, I could make out some facial features. I can definitely tell you that this being looked like a man. It was tall and slender. It had a slim face with a sharp jaw line and high cheekbones. I know that this being could not have cheekbones but that is the only way I can describe the facial features.

I can tell you that this apparition did not look like anyone I know or knew.

The people that die after my sightings are people that I have met. This was the first time that I have seen this apparition prior to a close friend's death. A close friend or relative had not died prior to this incident.

How many times has this occurred? I cannot count how many times this has occurred. I have lived with this my entire life and have just recently begun to discuss this matter. As with all people that share their experiences on this site, we all expose ourselves to ridicule.

By the way, I do not consider myself a psychic or medium. I do not consider this a gift. I consider this a curse. I do not want to see this apparition and do I want to know when someone is about to die.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
I am going to have to come back to this story because I am feeling the same way as Ohiowatha(not trying to poke holes in your story), but there are things missing called details. Also, another thing is the questions asked by Ohiowatha and Kim still were not answered when asked. You did comment back but for SOME reason you did not answer them. Maybe, if and when I come back to read this, there will be questions answered and details filled.
Shelby 🤔
CursedByDeath (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
Thank you all for taking the time to read my story. I am not here to convince anyone, nor I do not look to gain anything from my story. I am simply sharing an experience and would like to know if anyone has had a simular experience(s).

If you are looking to poke holes in peoples' stories please poke way. I wish you much enjoyment in doing.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
I have my reservations on this one and I`m not even a Indian(no offense WB).It`s got more holes in it than a golf course.Sorry.

FRAWIN 🤔
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
hmmmmm, this is...interesting.

When you see these apparitions or shadows, you said 'it' had features, what type of features? Did it look like someone you knew or recognized? Are the people that die after your sighting always close to you in some way> How many times has this occured?

God Bless!
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
Thanks for your story, Cursed. Please bare with me here because this story puts up a lot of red flags. Some of my questions may seem insensitive, but I'm really just trying to get my point across.

Questions:

How many deaths have you experienced in your life? Have you seen this apparition EVERY time someone has died? When you say "somebody died," do you mean ANYbody, or just those people you know. And why didn't a red flag go up when your freind called to test out a rather dangerous vehicle? If you see this figure all the time, around all these deaths in your life, why could you not believe what you were seeing? And what was the gender? Instead of merely joining your brother for your last time together, shouldn't you have done everything to warn him rather than just make plans to go to brunch? Seems rather non chalant for what was about to become the greatest tragedy (brother's death) in your life, no? "Nah man, I can't come help you test out your dangerous machine, my brother's in town and he's about to die, so we're going to brunch first..." Sorry, this just doesn't jive. And why does your best friend, Dave, need help testing a go-cart? Are you a go-cart expert? Seems like it would have been the natural thing to warn Dave considering your long history with this gift.

My sincere apologies if this offends you. I in no way mean to degrade you, but your story is full of holes. You must realize that it is not YOU or your experience that I am dissecting, but merely the story you wrote. I was not present for the actual event, so all I can go on is your story here and it's incomplete. Perhaps if you provided more detail, it would become more credible is all.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks for sharing. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: