You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Oppressive Atmosphere

Real Ghost Stories

Oppressive Atmosphere

 

Recently I commented on Glaziola-Nacht's submission, "My Holocaust Museum Experience In Washington, DC" (yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=26646), about an emotional experience I had while visiting Yad Vashem; I explained I had been uncertain as to whether or not the supernatural had any affect on my reaction to a specific display. However, back in the mid-to-late 1980s, there was an occasion wherein my reactions to a memorial were caused exclusively by a supernatural presence. As is often the case in my narratives, there's a bit of contextual backstory.

Before my family moved to the United States, we took a month to tour around some of our favorite parts of contiental Europe. The month-long excursion in our camper van meant that we could extend the distance we travelled to reach a site that had eluded us in the past: the Parthenon in Athens. A mechanical failure slowed our progress; the dynamo (or somesuch) in the engine broke. It was one of the few parts for which my father did not have a spare secreted in the assorted cubbies and hatches of our van. We spent 36 hours sitting in the camper, looking at the only flat, desolate, unimpressive part of the Italian landscape I've ever seen, while the local odd-job man and mechanic cycled from his village out to our vehicle, took the part away, rebuilt it, and cycled back with it in working order. The delay meant that we arrived at the ferry port in southern Italy the day after the semi-weekly ferry to Greece had left.

Being of a determined nature, Dad reassured us that if we nipped up the Adriatic coast, then took the mountainous route back down the Adriatic's eastern shore, we'd still have time to see the Parthenon before we were due back in England. "Plan B" had all the hallmarks of a decision made in haste rather than having been considered in advance. We never got to Greece, sadly, because the inhospitable Romanian border guards brandished Kalashnikovs at my father in a severe over-reaction to his waving passports at them. Thwarted by the uncoöperative Soviet military personnel, we turned northward to re-cross the rapidly-deteriorating Yugoslavia. Aside from driving through the impoverished ramshackle villages and the unpredictable landslides caused by Turkish earthquakes, we tried to make the best of our trip; the most picturesque route would take us up to Austria.

Before we reached the alpine tunnel at the border, we pulled into a small parking lot to have a picnic lunch. If you open a new tab on your browser, the following web address should lead you to the exact spot on Google Earth (www.google.com/maps/@46.4297623,14.268929,3a,75y,350.19h,95.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAwD1S7eDy3GAxalIn-B7Bw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656); you can see the parking spaces off to the right. In my memory of the place, the trees were further back from the road and there were a couple of picnic benches, but it has been over 30 years and the site is now in Slovenia.

At the north end of the parking lot, there are some stone pylons. After we had eaten our sandwiches, we took a leisurely stroll to see what the pylons commemorated. There are five of them placed radially around a central bronze statue as a memorial to the Allied Prisoners of War who had dug the Ljubelj Tunnel through the mountain, thus creating a safer route than the treacherous high altitude mountain pass. Across the road from the memorial was the Ljubelj Labor Camp, that officially had been the southern sub-camp of the Mauthausen Concentration Camp in Austria. Even though my brother and I were familiar with the Holocaust and with the basics of World War Two (we'd seen "The Great Escape" at least 100 times), my parents did not want to take us directly across the street to the remains of the Ljubelj camp.

As we approached the memorial, my brother and I became more subdued; the eye-catching center statue was an oversized bronze skeleton, ribs spread wide to show a human heart suspended in the chest, the skull and arms reach sky skyward, and the French word *J'accuse* is bolted to the stone plinth upon which it stood. It was a somewhat sheltered spot, a place for serious contemplation of the message written in five languages, one on each of the radial pylons: "Here, from 1943 to 1945, stood the section of the Nazi extermination camp Mauthausen-Ljubelj in which political internees from France, Poland, the Soviet Union, Czechoslovakia, Belgium, Luxembourg, Italy, Norway and Yugoslavia suffered and died during the excavation of the Ljubelj Tunnel" (Source: www.spomenikdatabase.org/begunje). If I recall correctly, my dad said something about the bodies being piled up on the location where the monument now stands, as the Alpine temperatures wouldn't allow for the digging of graves in winter. I do not know if this was an accurate statement on his part or pure conjecture. What I do remember is the somber, still silence of the location.

It wasn't until we walked away from the memorial that my dad called attention to something I'd noticed without fully registering the fact-- "Listen to that: bird song. They weren't singing a moment ago." He was right; the farther we moved from the bronze skeleton, the more we could hear the ordinary sounds of everyday life. For the entire 5-to-10 minutes we'd been within the area between the skeleton and the pylons of the memorial, there had been NO external sound: no traffic, no birdsong, no blustery breeze. There had only been the chilly pressure of the cold, stationary air.

If you look at the monument on the Google map, you can see that the pylons should allow the breeze to move freely through the area, symbolically carrying the message of the tragedy to the world; instead, there had been no movement of wind. Let me rephrase that so the phenomenon can sink in: no wind movement near the top of an Alp. Returning toward the parking area brought us into pleasant summer breezes that were considerably warmer than the memorial's immediate environment, replete with the sounds and scents of pristine nature. My mother wanted us to leave as soon as we could, so we got into our camper van and left.

While this event did not have the spectacular terror of some of my other experiences, it was memorable because my parents usually avoided discussion of the paranormal: especially my father. Yet, on a pleasant sunny day with high cloud cover and a steady breeze, all four of us had noticed the change in atmosphere at the site, and the return to normality as we left. We had not felt unwelcome or frightened, merely that we were surrounded by the tension of unresolved anger on the part of the dead.

If any European YGSers have had experiences at Ljubelj, or at similar war memorials, I'd be glad to know that my family was not alone in this. As always, I'm willing to clarify points to the best of my recollection.

-Biblio.

Other hauntings by Bibliothecarius

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Bibliothecarius, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-24)
Oh my goodness, I'd be feeling like your mother in wanting to leave as soon as possible! 😢 I always feel other people's sadness right away and would cry if I went there. I too grew up in a military family and lost an uncle to the Korean war that I never got to meet. I watched "Schindler's List" and was devastated, I can't watch these movies about the Holocaust without becoming upset. I've experienced what I call "dead air" twice before. One was in my first memory of having a paranormal experience as a child. I saw a little girl in my bedroom with a dog TWICE dancing around, but there was no sound. Then when I was around 19 years old a few of us decided to see what this UFO thing at "Area 51" was all about, so we drove out there. It was summer time and it was also dark. On the way there you could hear crickets and feel the night air. When we pulled up to the gated fence that said "KEEP OUT" we couldn't hear one sound. 😨 The air was so thick you could cut it with a knife! There was four of us just standing around in silence peering through the fence. Finally one of the guys said, "this is creepy" and we all jumped back in the car and sped off into the night never returning again.

Haha! Sorry, but I just had to laugh about the local mechanic cycling out to your van to pick up that part to be fixed. 😜 Then he cycled all the way back, at least he could fix it. Wonderful story, thanks for the links.
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2019-07-24)
Hi Biblio,

I really did enjoyed reading this experience, beutifully written and detailed. It feels like a place filled with sadness, anger and suffering, so many losses that even Nature could feel it...
Thank you for sharing! ❤
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-07-22)
Biblio, it seems like all the pain and sorrow trapped in that place has built a dome or 'bubble' of despair around it, like the perpetual winter over the Selfish Giant's garden.

I hope light has entered that spot surrounded by such magnificent landscape.

Thanks for sharing.
MrsRamsay (guest)
+3
5 years ago (2019-07-13)
Hi Biblio, I'm new to this site and enthralled by the stories. Wanted to share with you that a similar "feeling" permeates many of the locations in my neck of the woods, which is near Marietta, Georgia and also the site of multiple Civil War battlefields, skirmishes and lots of death. The Union Army, about 130, 000 total, was mired in the muddy, heavily wooded proximity for almost a month of rainy days before the decisive battle that was a precursor for the Battle for Atlanta and Sherman's final march to the sea. There is a particular monument here, called the Illinois Monument, commemorating more than 3,000 souls who fell in a frontal, uphill assault on heavily fortified rebel lines. Today it's a national park in the midst of heavy suburbs, and many thousands of visitors per year drop in. Living here for 30 years, I've sort of accidentally compiled experiences that seem very similar to what you describe, especially at the Dead Angle (site of the Illinois monument). I've also heard disembodied voices in the area during off times and have EVPs, which I'll write about later here. Growing up, I always thought during my many visits to various battlefields that it's our (military family's) reverence for the fallen soldiers and history that accounted for the atmospheric type changes in certain places, but after decades and finally accumulating many "experiences" I realize it's much more than sheer awe at the history. I can't even imagine a holocaust site, and frankly not certain I would want to visit one. Yes, I have also had empathetic-type experiences, and I don't really like those at all! As a mother, I think your mom was absolutely right in not wanting to linger there. Sincerely, Mrs. Ramsay
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-07-12)
I'm glad you found it useful, LuciaJacinta.

The land -along with the monument- is now in a different country; you have no idea how thrilled I was to *find* the right spot on Google Maps!
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-07-12)
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I did open the link. It looks like a peaceful yet somber spot.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: