You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Red Eyed Shadow

Real Ghost Stories

The Red Eyed Shadow

 

This is my fist, paranormal experience. I was a firm sceptic and believed after we died it's over.

It all began when I was ten. My family and I moved from Indiana to be closer to my mother's family. We live roughly half a block away from them. I will be fast forwarding to the later years as well.

When we first moved in, I had a bad feeling due to several things only I seemed to pick up on.

This is a one story, four bedroom, two bath home. Anytime I'd walk from my room to the kitchen I'd get this feeling like my instincts saying run somethings behind you. Also, I kept a feeling of nausea anytime I was in the hall bathroom.

My family and I began hearing noises. This was a fairly old home built in the early to late '60s. We assumed it was an animal so my father called an exterminator. The exterminator said there's no vermin in there, not even a nook or cranny they could get in through.

The noises continued.

After that things escalated. Things would disappear only to reappear in the hall bath in the sink cabinet. Needless to say, my parents blamed us and they seemed to change. They were both very loving but now they'd fight over the smaller details.

My little sister began hearing growling in her bedroom and what sounded like pacing at night. I began hearing knocking on my window at night. Not a frenzied knock, more like a steady "let me in" knock. I assumed it was other kids pranking me.

One night I was in a foul mood, can't remember why exactly, but for the first time I opened the curtains and no one was there. It takes two seconds to get to my window from my bed. I was shocked, to say the least. I told my parents and they said I was imagining things.

Things got worse after that. My sister would wake up screaming that a shadow was after her. My parents passed it off as a normal nightmare. She still has that nightmare to this day.

This is where I skip a head a few years. I was 16, my parents had divorced 3 years prior. I was working out in my room lifting barbells, it's about 8 at night. The tapping had stopped stopped after I opened the curtains when I was 10. It suddenly began again. I opened them again nothing there.

At this time my sister was 11. She still had the nightmare and she and I had both began being scratched. If it was once in a while it'd be nothing but this was nightly and we began getting what looked like 2 hole bite marks. The marks were roughly human canine size bite marks.

I spoke to the grandaughter of the family we purchased the house from they did not have any paranormal activity while living there. However, she had told me when her aunt was 16 she had taken her own life in the hall bathroom by drinking a large amount of rat poison mixed with juice.

I talked to friend who was into the paranormal. He said take sage and burn it get the smoke in every corner of the house. I did as instructed and everything stopped for 2 months but I think it angered this entity because it came back worse.

Two months after the saging my sister began seeing the shadow out of her dreams and so did I. This entity as best as I can describe looked like an old cowboy silhouette cut out hat, and all but wearing a trench coat with glowing red eyes. We are still experiencing this creature to this day.

I've since married and moved out but my mother and sister still reside in the home. How can we get rid of this entity and do they have to move?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Mississippi

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Sinisterserpent, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-10-30)
WOW! Sounds like a poltergeist haunting I also experienced once before. 😨 I've never seen an apparition before like that though and would be scared out of my wits! I sure hope you find someone with experience in these sorts of happenings to help you. Thank you for sharing your story and God bless you and family. ❤ Healing prayers sent your way, please keep us posted.
terranigma (9 stories) (71 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-10-25)
It seems what you have is a shadow person. I am not exactly sure what they are but they are leaches and feed off your negative emotions. They hate light and sunlight. If you and your sister want them to go you have to not fear them and you will cut off it's food supply and it will leave.

Also when you cleanse a house you should start from one end to the other getting in all the corners yes but also in every cupboard/wardrobe ect. And when you do it, say "I cleanse this house of all negativity and darkness let in love and light.
Sinisterserpent (1 stories) (9 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2019-10-17)
I remembered hearing they meant misfortune and death to someone
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-10-17)
Sinisterserpent:

Crows, Blackbirds, Ravens, Rooks, Magpies, and Bluejays are all members of the Corvidae family. (I know, "Bluejays!?" It's why this odd fact sticks in my mind.)

In Celtic belief, ravens would keep watch over portals between worlds; the Norse saw them as divine messengers (Odin's spies, Huginn & Muninn); Egyptians believed that they were omens of death.

Magpies have the whole song "one for sorrow, two for joy..." describing their symbolic meanings.

Is any of these responses jogging your memory?

-Biblio.
Sinisterserpent (1 stories) (9 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2019-10-17)
What does a solid black bird mean my sister mom and I saw one today in my mom's house fly from the curtain to the ceiling fan I know there's a superstition about them but I can't remember it?
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-10-16)
Hi, Sinisterserpent;
Thanks for the quick response!

Ok, at 7' tall wearing a hat and equipped with glowing red eyes, you're dealing with an individual who enjoys looming over others and generating fear. (No surprise there, then.) This is no guarantee that this entity is inhuman, as my research uncovered multiple strong-willed human spirits that have been able to craft a physical form that deliberately intimidates the living. Granted, none of these entities had been a nice person at any point, but they had been people.

I'm sorry to see your mother isn't going to be of much help, here. I'm all too familiar with the phenomenon of a mother who has made an arbitrary decision about an event, then resists any attempt to dislodge her head from between her glutei maximi.

Do whatever you can to ease the stress for your sister; she'll feel much better knowing that there is *some* family help. It is a pity that no-one provided sufficient help to the deceased girl during in her life. Indeed, if she were feeling vengeful, she may be capable of manifesting her anger & frustration in an effort to retaliate against the living, even if they're not the living people who deserve her retaliation. I suspect that the entity is *not* of her creation, but something that was attracted to her pain; however, I'm only going by my own instincts & guesswork, so I include the possibility for you to consider.

Do take care,
Biblio.

P.S.: You've no need to apologize for lengthy narratives nor lengthy posts/responses that are on-topic. Use the room you've got to explain just as much as you think you need to. If anything remains unclear, I guarantee *someone* will ask you questions about it.
Sinisterserpent (1 stories) (9 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-10-16)
My friend who taught me to do the cleansing suggested this entity could have been created by the previous owners daughter before her death and had been dormant until the hostility of my family awoke it
Sinisterserpent (1 stories) (9 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2019-10-16)
[at] rook how would I do the email exchange or pharaphrase as I am unsure
Sinisterserpent (1 stories) (9 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-16)
Bibliothecarius my mother has has been scratched and had nightmares but is still in denial the figure coat is slim similar to a rain coat size wise it is over 7 feet using the refrigerator for size comparison through my research I found the daughter had been the target for abuse both physical and mental by several individuals and just couldn't handle it anymore sorry if it's to long
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-10-15)
Greetings, Sinisterserpent, and welcome to YGS.

As I believe Rook's questioning & advice are leading you in the most positive direction, I'll merely add that cleansing a home or a person is most effective when repeated at regular intervals. It's like brushing your teeth; only *once* is not enough! Also, the discipline/focus needed to perform the cleansing tends to make people more aware of their surroundings, thus enabling them to detect negative presences much sooner.

I have a quick observation about the shadow-figure you saw. You saw it as a silhouette in a hat and coat; were the coat's shoulders particularly bulky? Cowboys did wear coats called "dusters" that had a second layer of oilcloth over the shoulders to direct rain away from the body. If your recollection is compatible with this description, then the energy in your house may well have attracted the attention of a deceased individual.

My concern is that the entity is *not* a cowboy, but has assumed this jarring/sinister shape to generate fear. It may have been a pre-existing entity that fed off the negative atmosphere, or you may have "somehow made this thing" through the prolonged, shared negative atmosphere.

You state that it is there "to this day," but do not indicate whether or not your mother has witnessed it; is it only you & your sister who see it? Do you know if the unfortunate girl who committed suicide was experiencing any sort of supernatural harassment, or was her tragedy purely psychological in nature?

Thanks for clearing up these points, Sinsterserpent.

Best,
Biblio.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-15)
Sinisterserpent,

Would you care to share (or paraphrase) our e-mail exchange so that those members that are following may know how things are progressing?

You do not have to, but other members may find answers to questions/experiences they have had.

Respectfully,

Rook
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-10-15)
Wow! So many good comments! All I have to donate is the realization that you have described what many people have dubbed the "Hat Man". This shadow creature is often see wearing a greatcoat, having white or red eyes, standing anywhere from 6 to 10 feet tall, and constantly radiating a very menacing aura. Oftentimes it is seen in the company of other, smaller shadow creatures and always seems to be the one in charge. I hope you are able to handle these occurrences - my best wishes go out to you.
WisconsinLady (1 stories) (52 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-10-13)
I'm interested to hear other's opinions, because this is a serious situation. I'm trying to throw out what I think, but I'm not an expert. I just want to help.
I hope you find your answers, Sinisterserpent. I wish you the best! ❤
WisconsinLady (1 stories) (52 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-13)
I'm glad you've overcome/dealt with feelings from the past. I'm very happy to hear that.
My belief: If the activity continues and there isn't anymore strong negative emotion fueling activity, I would think it's an entity that was already there. Once negative emotions have been resolved, anything attracted to you, or created by those emotions, should no longer have fuel to exist (or reside within your house). Activity created by your energy would disappear and attracted spirits would move on to somewhere else. Puberty isn't an issue anymore, so that also makes me believe it's a separate entity.
In my opinion, some past activity might have been caused by puberty or emotions, but that activity would be things you arent experiencing anymore. Continued activity would be caused by an entirely separate entity. Perhaps related to the death in your house in some way.
Sinisterserpent (1 stories) (9 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-13)
Wisconsinlady those feeling have long since been dealt with I must admit though I'm having a hard time firguring out if we some how made this thing or if it was attracted to me because of what happened when I was 8 or if it was already there
WisconsinLady (1 stories) (52 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-13)
Sinisterserpent,
I think that negativity could definitely fuel activity.

Perhaps you and your family should look into reiki. At least have one reiki session on yourself to balance/reset your energy. Or try some meditation. I personally like simple mindfulness meditation techniques.

Trying to create positive energy might help the situation a lot.

Also, talking to a therapist about your feelings helps release negative energy. I find therapy to be very helpful in that regard. Just having someone else to "vent" to helps heal negativity.

These are all just suggestions, of course. I hope they're helpful, though. ❤
Sinisterserpent (1 stories) (9 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-10-13)
I do have a question I resented my sister growing up because of how differently our parents treated us could that have something to do with all this?
Sinisterserpent (1 stories) (9 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-10-13)
I began puberty at around 11 and to be honest yes I was in emotion pain do to something happening when I was 8 please do not ask for details about that and yes I began having dream about a best I can describe as a living darkness chasing me down a hallway and I would wake up soaked in sweat the daughter of the previous owner was found in the hall bath and the cup was found in the sink cabinent
WisconsinLady (1 stories) (52 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-10-13)
Sinisterserpent and Rookdygin,
Thank you for sharing your story, Sinisterserpent. I'm sorry you've dealt with such horrible events throughout your life. I mean these next questions respectfully, and I'm not negatively blaming you for anything...
Instead of attracting the cowboy, could it be possible that the cowboy entity was created from the poltergeist energy? Initially, it was only manifested in dreams, but now enough energy has been put into it over time that it is becoming it's own entity. Because your sister experienced many paranormal events and the cowboy first began in your sister's dreams, do you think she is also creating the poltergeist activity? Both of you together could be creating the activity, which created the severity of your situation. What do you think, Rookdygin?

Also, "Anytime I'd walk from my room to the kitchen I'd get this feeling like my instincts saying run somethings behind you. Also, I kept a feeling of nausea anytime I was in the hall bathroom." could be caused by residual energy. The "run instinct" is something I feel on the stairs at my parents' place. I believe it to be residual, since it's a heavily trafficked area.
Also, I wonder if there's a hidden meaning to the sink cabinet. Like there's an entity trying to get you focused on that area? Or if the rat poison was kept there and/or the girl died there, maybe there is energy at that location that better allows human generated poltergeist activity to manifest there instead of other locations. That's a theory, of course.

These are all just ideas that I hope might be helpful. I mean only respect and wish you and your family the best. Thanks again for sharing. ❤
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+7
4 years ago (2019-10-12)
Ah, ok... Then I have to ask a kind of delicate question, I am going on my 'gut instincts' with this because of what I 'pick up on' when I read over your experiences...

You describe...

"My family and I began hearing noises. This was a fairly old home built in the early to late '60s. We assumed it was an animal so my father called an exterminator. The exterminator said there's no vermin in there, not even a nook or cranny they could get in through.

The noises continued.

After that things escalated. Things would disappear only to reappear in the hall bath in the sink cabinet. Needless to say, my parents blamed us and they seemed to change. They were both very loving but now they'd fight over the smaller details.

My little sister began hearing growling in her bedroom and what sounded like pacing at night. I began hearing knocking on my window at night. Not a frenzied knock, more like a steady "let me in" knock. I assumed it was other kids pranking me.

One night I was in a foul mood, can't remember why exactly, but for the first time I opened the curtains and no one was there. It takes two seconds to get to my window from my bed. I was shocked, to say the least. I told my parents and they said I was imagining things.

Things got worse after that. My sister would wake up screaming that a shadow was after her. My parents passed it off as a normal nightmare. She still has that nightmare to this day."

Now here is my question...

Did you start puberty at an early age (between 10-11 years old)?

Or perhaps this is a better question...

Did most of the experiences happen when you were experiencing extream emotions?

If the answer is Yes to either of these questions (or perhaps both) then there is a chance your experiences were due to poltergeist activity... Generated by your physical/emotional state... The energy released as this happened, in turn, could have attracted the 'cowboy' entity you have described.

Just sageing works only to a point, and like any other method must be repeated often in order to be effective.

As for the bite marks you describe were BOTH of you having dreams of being chased and bitten by someone or something... These would have been really vivid dreams that seemed real until you startled awake and realized you had been dreaming.

Details, details, details... Anything you can remember or may have written down concerning these experiences could hold the answer as to 'WHAT' may have been happening.

I do not feel your Mother and Sister need to move. At least not based on the experiences you have shared with us so far.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Respectfully,

Rook
Sinisterserpent (1 stories) (9 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-10-11)
[at] rook the first set of time frame was from when I was ten or roughly 2005 I skipped to 2011 when I was 16 because that's when the more eventful activity began the only major thing between the times is my mother actually attacking my father with a pot I am currently 24 and my sister is 19
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2019-10-11)
Here is something to try...

Rook's Cleansing and Shielding Method (as used by myself and many other members of this site)...

Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)

Day one: Open all curtains window and doors with screens installed, let fresh air and sunshine into the home. Have all closets, cabinets and other 'dark spaces' open so that as much natural light as possible can enter those spaces. After 2-3 hours take a broom and 'sweep' out each room (this is symbolic and you do not have to really sweep) focus your thoughts on sweeping (pushing) out all negative energies / entities /thoughts. Close home up after completing each room of your home... Please do not forget your garage if you have one. (Optional) Light incense (sandalwood or Dragons-blood works well for me) and let aroma fill the home, and/or play a tape that contains your favorite Church/Positive, Upbeat (songs that give you good thoughts) songs before you begin sweeping.

Day two (or three): Once again open all curtains, windows and doors. Take a White candle (Optional) to the center most point of the home, sit on the floor and place candle in front of you. Light the candle (visualize a white ball of light) and then focus on the flame... Visualize the flame (white light) filled with positive thoughts, energy. (Say a prayer at this time if you so desire... Ask for cleansing positive energy to fill the candles flame/white light). Hold this 'image' in your mind and then visualize the flame (light) slowly expanding outward, visualize it filling the room your in, every corner and 'dark space'. Continue to visualize it expanding...it's outer edges pushing away (burning away) any and all negative energies/entities out and away from each room in your home. Once you have visualized this flame (light) filling your entire home, picture it expanding to your property lines. Hold this image in your mind for a few moments then visualize 'anchoring' this flame (light) where you are sitting which is the center most point of your home. Once you have done this. Take a deep breath, relax a few moments and then blow out the candle. (If you didn't use a candle just let yourself relax a moment or two.) "

Now you can create a shield for yourself using the 'home shield' technique but instead of focusing on your home visualize the 'flame' simply surrounding you instead of your home... Best time to do this is after a nice shower using a rosemary scented soap (rosemary is good for purification and protection.)

Question...what is the time frame between the first set of experiences you describe and your 'time jump'?

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: