You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Demons / Possessions / Exorcisms :: Wandering Soul

Real Ghost Stories

Wandering Soul

 

This story is not mine but about my sister. My sister was about 18 that time and me about 20. We were home with my mom and 3 other sisters. My dad is not usually around as he works in the far area.

Earlier that night we gathered at my aunt's house since it was Mother's day and we had a family function. We went home about 9pm and my sister, who we can call Maria (not her real name), started acting weird. She taped all of her fingers and toes together with scotch tape and called me to see what she did while laughing. I was surprised at her actions but let it off anyway. The two of us usually sleep together in one bed and later went to bed.

My elder sister was watching television until around 12am that night so all was well until then. As soon as she took the lights off in the house and went to bed, Maria got out of bed and went into the living room. My mom, who was awoken by sounds, got up to find her sitting between our computer desk searching for something. This angered my mom since it was late at night, so she turned the lights on and asked Maria what she was doing. Maria looked at her with fear in her eyes and said she wanted her slippers since she was going to the town (like an hour away from us).

Obviously surprised my mom said, "It's almost 1am. Why do you want to go to town?" Maria then turned to my mom and, breathing heavily, took off the lights. Again my mom turn on the lights and Maria starting growling heavily and turn them off again. My mom realize this is not my sister and started screaming since Maria starting walking towards her with loud howling and her eyes turning around. Her hair was opened and she walked briskly with her shoulders upright like a hulk, going to my mother.

My mom ran to the room with my other sisters and they locked themselves in while Maria went to them banging on the door and making loud scary sounds. At this point my uncle next door heard and came across and he realized what was happening and started praying. Maria walked to him and as soon as he touched, her she fell down unconscious and woke up crying. Few minutes later she said her foot felt heavy as if something was trying to come into her body from her foot.

We took religious pictures and placed them on her feet and started praying again and she felt okay. She kept asking us what happened since she could not remember anything, only knowing she went to sleep.

My mom later went to a religious priest who told her a wandering soul who died many years ago was in my sister's body and he was doing those things. He said if we had allowed her to leave the house, the spirit would have killed her and that the spirit came through the ends of her hair since she had it opened while walking under a big tree in the yard. He suggested she do a few religious prayers and since then was not attacked again. He advised to always tie her hair up, especially at nights, since evil can gain access to your body through your hair. For about 3 months we did not sleep in the room again since we were very scared.

I took out a few small details in order to make it short. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, wishfulthings, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

wishfulthings (1 stories) (2 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-10-23)
Hi priya-, Yes I have heard of that also. My fore-parents are from India and I have visited India already. I find that many of the practices there are similar to the ones we have in Guyana as our ancestors brought the same beliefs with them.
I usually go out with my hair open and wet as well but never experience anything like that.

Thanks for reading my story!
priya- (1 stories) (19 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-10-23)
Interesting story.
Even in India, in our community its believed that lady with open hairs especially wet open hairs attracts unwelcome energy, so we are always advised not to wander outside home until wet hairs dry and in case of emergency hairs must be pinned. Just for curiosity I experimented myself by going out with wet hairs right after bath (to buy grocery and to visit at friend's) but nothing happened.
Perhaps time and location also matters.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2019-10-21)
wishfulthings - thanks for the additional information, it has helped me to get a clearer idea of the events... I imagine Maria's handiwork binding her right hand wasn't neat, was it?
Please don't take it the wrong way...I'm thinking about how difficult it is for me to cut the adhesive tape with one hand while holding in place the slippery shinny wrapping paper with my other hand when wrapping Christmas presents.

I wonder if the "wandering soul" wasn't much of a wanderer and had established residence on that particular tree, perhaps the tree had some importance/significance at the moment of the person's death.

Some time ago, my elder brother and his wife built a house in a new subdivision keeping some of the mature trees already in the lot; they had three children and the oldest one began telling them that a man would talk to him from one of those trees. Later, they found out that a man had hung himself from one of the trees in that area. Although there's no way to determine if that was "the tree", it's possible that the dead man's spirit stayed there instead of moving over to the next plane.

It must have been disturbing to see your sister acting in such an unusual way. Glad to know this has not happened again.
wishfulthings (1 stories) (2 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-21)
Hi lady-glow...thanks for your comment on my story. Please see responses below:
From what I heard, spirits can enter through any part of your body. Our priest told us it came into her body at first through her hair and after it left, tried to come again through her feet. I don't know how true this is but based on the heaviness she was getting at her feet after, he suggested that was the case.

No she taped all five of her toes on one feet together, then the same on the other feet and when she called me was taping her left fingers together with her right hand.

The tree is still in our yard but back then it was really huge. Now we would cut it regularly and keep it very small. My uncle would have mentioned on several occasions he would see someone standing under the tree when it's dark and yes we had someone come and perform a ritual to cleanse our entire yard.

I am not sure if this happens with a particular tree but I think it is more prevalent to happen with trees that are big. Just my opinion.
I hoped I was able to clear your concerns. Thanks
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-10-20)
I don't get it and would really appreciate if you can clarify the following points about your narrative:

"Few minutes later she said her foot felt heavy as if something was trying to come into her body from her foot."

"the spirit would have killed her and that the spirit came through the ends of her hair since she had it opened while walking under a big tree"

By this do you mean that the spirit enter through her hair but the heaviness on her foot had nothing to do with the possession?

"She taped all of her fingers and toes together with scotch tape and called me to see what she did while laughing"

Could you elaborate more on this? Did she tape her feet and hands individually or were all her four limbs attached together with tape?

If the former, how did she manage to tape her last free hand/foot after her other 3 were already taped?, if the latter, well, it would have been impossible to achieve such a task.
I'm sorry, but I can't imagine how she could have done this.

Is the tree still standing in your yard? If so, did you have to perform any ritual/ceremony to exorcise it?
Was there any indication of the spirit "living" in the tree before this incident?

This is not the first time I have read about spirits inhabiting trees and entering into women through their open hair, do you know if such cases involve only an specific kind of tree or if it can happen by walking under any tree?

I will appreciate your feedback.

Thanks for sharing.
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-15)
This is a very interesting cultural belief about the possession of a human by an incarnate spirit. Any kind of possession is often bad news and I find it interesting to read about the many different ways that other cultures have in order to deal with these happenings. I am happy this one ended with a happy ending

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: