You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Shadow People :: Shadow Of The Living?

Real Ghost Stories

Shadow Of The Living?

 

This is a bit if a strange one, I have been looking for answers but keep reading about unknown or shadows of the dead.

A few years ago, while staying with my parents I was sleeping on the floor of my mom's room. We had a lot of guests over and my niece was with my mum in her bed. I woke up quite late at night and saw my mum's shadow standing at the end of her bed. I was convinced it was her. I called out to her, asked her if she's ok. My mum was answering from bed. The shadow didn't move. I thought she wanted to walk past my temporary bed to get to the toilet. In the morning when I asked her about it, she said she was in bed the whole night and when we were talking she was in bed.

I decided not to sleep on the floor and shifted to her bed with her. The next night I heard whispering from the corner closest to my mom's side of the bed. My mum heard it but thought it was my sister in the next room. It wasn't, my sister came up to sleep a little later.

This all stopped after we had prayers in the house for my wedding.

Back to today, my dad is terminally ill and has to sleep downstairs as he can't do stairs. We are doing building work to build him a shower etc in the garage so all the other rooms are full. I'm sleeping in mom's room again. This time, my mum was about to go check on dad, she was sitting in bed putting her trousers on, and she called my name. I was laying in bed still. When I answered she said she thought I was standing next to her.

Has anyone got any idea of what this is? First I saw a shadow that I thought was her, now she sees a shadow that she thought was me. It didn't vanish when we saw them, we couldn't have been asleep as we were talking to them.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Londonuser, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-26)
Londonuser:

Sorry, busy week at work; didn't respond to your question in a timely manner.

No, I do not think you have any cause for fear:
-- it doesn't create a negative atmosphere ('dark' could be due to limited natural light conditions)
-- it doesn't try to shock or terrorize anyone
-- it hasn't attacked any family members or guests
-- it doesn't do anything but stand nearby or walk around
My reaction is that the above points are sufficient reason to leave it alone. It seems to be curious about your family, it hasn't hurt anyone, and it doesn't mind being seen (well, within limits at any rate).

The point of concern that I have is only fear you felt at the most recent encounter (your response on 22.10.19). Did you feel oppressive dread & horror or were you simply startled & concerned? If the latter, then you've had a natural reaction to an unexpected event. If the former, then there are other issues in play that may need to be addressed.

Think carefully about your state of mind at the time before responding; please let us know how you're doing, also.

Best,
Biblio.
Londonuser (1 stories) (1 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-10-22)
Thank you for all the comments. I was fully asleep when my mum thought I was standing next to her. I only awoke when she called my name.

These shadows have only been seen in my mums room. I wasn't scared when I saw the shadow of my mum when a few years ago but for some reason I was scared this time. It doesn't go away when you see it or talk to it. But it doesn't respond.

The atmosphere in the room is just dark. I can't say I noticed it to be colder or warmer.

My parents have lived there for 18 years.

I couldn't make out words for the whispering and didn't thinking sounded like her. My mum said it must be her. I don't know of the shadow has been seen when I'm not there.

Funnily my niece and nephew used to talk about a man on the ceiling when they were younger.

Should I be worried?
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-10-22)
Sorry-- that was supposed to be "Serious health condition" but typing on my phone means I can't see everything that Autocorrect does to my sentences. -Biblio.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-10-22)
Greetings, Londonuser, and welcome to YGS.

This entity/presence appears when your family members are preoccupied with some other mundane event. It assumes the apparent identity of a person who is credibly present in that location, especially female members of your family.

Your mother may have attributed the closet voice to your sister *because* it did sound like your sister's voice to her. That'd make 3 seperate impersonations. Whatever it is, this spirit is very well aware of the living & is capable of planning its appearances to arouse minimal suspicion.

That said, I don't think your father's serios health issues are relevant to the spirit's interactions, merely that the individuals who are in the house are useful individuals for it to duplicate. With the years of opportunity available, it doesn't seem to have taken any action intended to cause harm; it's entirely possible that it is merely lonely & takes advantage of reasonable opportunities to speak with the living.

Just a thought as I read your fascinating narrative.

Best,
Biblio.

P.S.: For reasons unkown to me (if you know why, please tell me!), I had the urge to end this message with "Blessed Be."
Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-22)
Wow! 😳 That is scary. How long have your parents lived there? You mentioned there is building going on in the house and your father is terminally ill, I wonder if either of those are connected? They do sound mischievous. Hopefully they mean no harm and prayers seem to keep them in check, I believe in the power of prayer.
❤ Thank you for sharing your story.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-21)
Hi Londonuser,

I second Ladyglows suggestion about keeping a journal. I keep a dream diary and aside from the subject matter in the dream, I also make notes about the atmosphere in my room/house.

If the shadows continue, you may come to a better understanding about why they appear.

Best Wishes, Maria ❤
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-21)
Hello Londonuser and welcome to YGS.

I find your experience to be intriguing and very interesting.

The possibility of a person's consciousness 'walking away' from their body during sleep has been discussed in previous postings in this forum. I don't know if this would apply to your case since neither you nor your mother were fully asleep during the events.

In my opinion, there's not enough information in your narrative as to conclude what these shadows are. I find it interesting that none of you report any feelings of uneasiness at the moment of the encounters, but prayer had a banishing effect over them.

Perhaps you should start a journal registering these events and see if they follow a pattern like being related to your level of stress or other factors.

Wishing the best to you and your family.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: