You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: I Didn't Do It... I Swear!

Real Ghost Stories

I Didn't Do It... I Swear!

 

Dear reader,

I thank you in advance for taking the time to read through my account.

It's been very long since I last posted an experience here.

Hence today, when I recalled an incident, I thought, I should not wait another second and just put it all out here, before it manages to slip out of my mind or I get busy with something else yet again.

So without further ado, here goes...

It's a very short incident that happened with me when I was around 10 years old.

Summer vacations were going on and I was staying at my aunt's home. During those days most houses in that locality did not have the luxury known to most of us as running water, and all the people living there had to stock up the potable water from the common tap provided by the local municipal corporation.

This particular evening, my aunt was doing just that. Stocking up on the drinking water.

Also, to be noted is, at that time, only the two of us were at home. My two cousins were out playing cricket at the nearby playground. They never used to take me along because they used to think, I was too young to play with them and their friends.

I used to feel really bad to be left alone like that more often than not, but later as I grew older, I learned to overcome this emotion. I learned I best fly solo.

Anyway, back to where we were with the story. My aunt's home was a small house consisting of only two rooms, which were a hall and a kitchen. And of course there was an attached toilet and bathroom. I was sitting and playing with my toys in the hall.

The house was such that you entered through the main door into the hall. At one corner of the hall was another doorway that took you into the kitchen.

My aunt stored the drinking water in an earthen pot that had a small faucet near it's bottom to fill your glass. I hope you get the picture. This pot was kept on a sill in the kitchen.

She was a thin but strong lady (May God rest her soul), who lived with her two sons, raising them, nurturing them and managing everything on her own after her husband passed on.

Apologies, if I strayed off.

This evening she was busy at the local tap awaiting her turn for the water. I went out to check up on her and found she was still behind a couple of women in the queue. She asked me to stay back at the house as it was open and unattended and that someone could steal something in our absence. So I went back and resumed what I was doing.

Few minutes passed and I saw her come in with the bucket of water in her hand and walk straight into the kitchen to fill up the pot. I thought she would be done with that, however, she said, she might as well fill up a couple of more buckets for usage and left for the tap again.

By this time, I'd become bored playing with my toys and wanted to do something else, so I got up to step out of the house and started towards the door. As I was just walking out the door, I felt something brush past my leg.

It felt soft and strangely warm. I immediately turned to look inside and saw a cat. A light greyish cat. She was standing in the doorway between the hall and the kitchen, looking straight at something in the kitchen.

Now, a few neighbors did have cats as their pet and those cats did, at times, used to roam freely around the neighborhood, entering just about anybody's home they fancied and the people too did not mind it that much, so I too was not very surprised to find her there. Plus, I loved playing with them. Aren't they lovable like that?

However, a few seconds later I realised that I had never seen this particular cat before. She looked healthy and strong. Her fur was fluffy and shiny. She seemed to belong to a different breed of cats that I hadn't ever seen before in my life. Later, as I grew I came to know that she belonged to the Persian cat's category. Anyway, I digress...

Now notice that, all this is happening in a matter of a few seconds. One thing leading to the next spontaneously.

I, walking out the door, the cat brushing past me into the house, I turn to look inside and find that it's only a cat, however, at the same time, for reasons unknown, I feel apprehensive as if my mind is preparing me for something bad that's about to happen.

I know that I haven't seen this cat before in the neighborhood, however, I then think that maybe she's been newly adopted, dismissing the earlier thought. I wanted go pick her up in my arms and caress and cuddle her, but something was holding me down at that very spot.

I also found her behavior very peculiar. Generally, when the other cats used to come in, they would make their presence known by constantly mewing as if they are demanding our attention. They would move about everywhere in the house looking for food or a good spot to stretch. But this cat was nothing like them.

She was not making even the slightest sound. She did not move about anywhere. I felt the time had really slowed down. I am still glued to my position, not knowing what to expect.

Just like that, she turned her face toward me. Her eyes looking straight into mine. They had a different sheen to them that I'm failing to describe in words. All I can think of is that they were both mesmerising as well as spine chilling.

I felt she knew that I was stuck frozen at my place and can't get to her. There was something really sinister in that look. Which, as it turned out, was indeed true. I was in such a state that I even forgot to breathe. I could just feel hair standing on my neck. I was unable to even blink, fearing what might occur if I did.

In a flash, she leapt forward in the air. Not at me but towards something that was in the kitchen.

In the next second, I hear a very loud THUD! I instantly knew that was the sound of something breaking. Fortunately, it also seemed to have broken the spell on me too. For I ran inside, towards the kitchen.

As I reached the doorway, I found to my horror, that there was water everywhere on the kitchen floor and the pot that housed it was lying all over the kitchen area, broken into a million tiny pieces.

At that moment, my mind seemed to have been stuck in a traffic jam of many different emotions. I felt bad for my aunt that all her hard work was thrown down the drain. Plus she'll have to arrange for another pot, which was a difficulty because it required money. What will we drink now? Will my aunt think this is my mischief? Maybe she will and then I'll get a scolding. Everything a child could conjure, I believe, I did in that moment. And then reality hit.

My gaze lifted from the floor to the sill where the pot was a moment ago. Perched on it was this cat, looking straight at me, like it was mocking me.

Anger boiled in my chest like bile. I could almost taste it. In that instant, I felt I wanted to kill that cat right there. I welled up the courage and took a step forward.

But, the moment I stepped in the kitchen, the cat, that was still boring it's eyes into mine, vanished.

Like disappeared into thin air. Not jumped, not ran... Disappeared... Gone!

I was utterly dumbfounded, not knowing how or what to do, if anything. Fear, seeping in as to where it might reappear, urged me to run. Stumbling, falling, I somehow managed to get out of the house.

I ran straight to my aunt crying incessantly. Upon reaching her, I dove straight into her arms and collapsed, probably losing consciousness. I remember opening my eyes to a few people gathered and hunched down around me. I didn't realize I was still gasping though my tears. My aunt was trying to calm me down. Someone offered me a glass of water and I took a gulp or two only to throw it all out through my nose and mouth.

My aunt looked worried as I was already feverish, as she later told me.

In between hiccups, I only managed to tell her that, "The cat did it. I did not break the pot.", and something on the lines of, "She vanished just like that."

A person living next door, took me in his arms and along with my aunt started walking toward our house. Upon realizing that we are headed back home, I started throwing my arms and legs, saying I will not go to that place. They later told me my crying and tantrums were uncontrollable.

We entered the house, aunt first and behind her this man who was carrying me.

As my eyes cleared a little off my tears, I was shocked beyond believe.

There was no water on the floor, no broken pieces of the pot. Nothing.

In fact, the pot was kept right where it always was, on the sill. Filled with fresh water.

My aunt turned to me and was like, "What did the cat break?"

I think that's when I either fainted or fell asleep.

I woke the next day, with high fever, which I believe, took a couple of days to settle. With the help of my aunt's motherly care and medicines, I recuperated pretty quickly.

I never saw that cat, or whatever it really was, again. But the image, of her eyes staring at me, is engraved in my memory for life.

P.S.: I do believe an apology is in order, as in my narration, I did mention that it's a very short incident. However, I only wished to be as vivid as I could for your benefit. The downside to which, is that it makes the narration to drag, for a bit too long. I sincerely hope you do not mind too much.

I apologise, nonetheless.

And to conclude, I again thank you ever so much for your kind patience.

Ciao...

Other hauntings by RogueDawg

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RogueDawg, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fenrispro (58 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-04-27)
Nice story! I doubt it was an ordinary cat because it wanted to get u in trouble, or it was a vision of some kind.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-04-21)
Hello RogueDawg, I have some questions. Where did it happen? And what was the reaction of your aunt and others? Whether they gave any inputs or their own experiences? Did any other person see the cat before or after your experience? What about your cousins. They must have come to know about it since you were down with fever.

Please do respond.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-04-20)
Alina5. As I understand it, a Jinn is a real creature that is held in the beliefs of Islam. According to them, there were three type of extraterrestrial creatures: Angels, Demons, and Jinn. Jinn are spirits that can manifest in corporeal form (unlike demons) and are both good and evil. The evil ones are tricksters and love to scare others. They can take the shape of humans and animals. They can manifest as shadows and smoke. According to Islam, they also have free will. You will encounter the culture of Jinn in the Middle East. In the West, we have bastardized the name Jinn into the recognizable term Djinni. These creatures have been in TV shows like "I Dream of Jeannie" (a play on the word Djinni (sp?)), and a Disney cartoon movie. They are extremely loosely based on the Middle Eastern Jinn. You can google the term and check how accurate I am as I am going from memory. You can also see videos on the subject on Youtube. I hope this helps.
Alina5 (3 stories) (136 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-04-19)
Thank you for your reply Rouge Dawg. If it's ok to ask you or any other fellow posters what is a jinn?. I actually did a quick Google search only to have find the conclusion of it being a mythical creature. I would appreciate if anyone can use their precious time to educate me on this. Thank you~
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-04-19)
Very good story - well written. As I was reading it, I immediately began to think of the Jinn. I realized after reading your story that others in the comments also theorized about the possibility of Jinn. Is this a phenomena that is understood and accepted by the people in your community? My only other thought was that your feverish delirium contributed to what you saw. But might it be possible that the cat/jinn/familiar was the reason for your fever?
RogueDawg (2 stories) (13 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-19)
Tweed: Thank you for taking the time to read and comment.

It's highly appreciated.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-19)
Hi RogueDawg,

I was going to suggest Djinn for the entity responsible but, like you, I haven't a clue what the reason could be.

Thanks for sharing, I'll be thinking about this for a while. Don't worry about the length either, no one does on here, it was cool to read.
RogueDawg (2 stories) (13 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-18)
Alina5: Thank you for your comment

I, until date, am not able to find a logical or a scientific explanation to what had happened. What remains, is to consider the possibility of the supernatural or paranormal.

Thus, I believe it could have been a Djinn who appeared in the form of a cat before me.

As to the reason, all I can think of, is that it just, maybe, wanted to create a mischief or just give give me a good scare. Which it, obviously, succeeded in doing.

I again appreciate your inputs.

God bless you.
RogueDawg (2 stories) (13 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-18)
VeronicaMarie: Thank you for your comment.

I believe you too must be fond of reading like me, as you did not find this narration lengthy. I appreciate your kindness.

Pertaining to the fever, I would like to clear your doubts, if any. I was not feverish before this happened. I was fit as a fiddle.

The fever only got to me after I ran out of the house.

I hope this helped shed some light on the matter.
Alina5 (3 stories) (136 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-04-18)
Hello RougeDawg,

In accordance to my understanding, I have never seen spirits of pet animals to be malevolent. In general, their conscience of being in the living world is contradictory to humans hence, they generally don't hover around in the living world for long. It's only my sole understanding but I stand to be corrected.

Since, it had done no harm to anyone says it. But the breaking of pot seems to be what you can say recollection of the events... Like a repetition of the events already happened. Or Maybe, the breaking of the pot had happened for real and the spirit somehow fixed it.

The thing is, it was a rare sight in those days to spot a Persian Cat as most people weren't really fond of adopting luxurious pets, which quite entertains the doubt of the entity being something else. But I can't say for sure.

Nevertheless, quite interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Peace
VeronicaMarie (5 stories) (106 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-17)
RogueDawg, that is a very interesting story, and not at all too long. I don't doubt at all that you saw this happen. But I'm also thinking about the fever you developed, and the way you were fainting, because high fevers can sometimes cause delirium. But no matter what caused what you saw, it must have been terrifying, and I am so sorry you went through this experience that still haunts you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: