You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Illinois Lake House Haunting

Real Ghost Stories

Illinois Lake House Haunting

 

It was the year of 2016 that I moved into a new home, a beautiful turn of the century brick mansion overviewing the local Decatur lake in central Illinois. This house was so large it was sectioned into a triplex, dividing it into 3 apartments, the main floor was my home.

Soon after the move we noticed things falling and getting knocked off the table or couch when we weren't in the room. This happened a lot. I would walk into the kitchen and BOOM something fell in the living room. It was strange but we didn't really think much of it. About a month after moving in, I took a shower in the middle of the day, just as I finished and flung open the shower curtain my hair dryer across the room turned on simultaneously.

How weird, I was slightly creeped out by this, but figured... Maybe it is the old house having electrical issues, maybe the moisture of my shower sparked something? Maybe static electricity? I was definitely creeped out but still did not feel the need to tell anyone and brushed it off as a coincidence.

2 days later at 2 am, my boyfriend got up to pee while I was dead asleep, I was woken by a horribly LOUD rattling clunking sound that only lasted about 4 seconds followed by my boyfriends loud cursing. I shot up in bed, yelling "WTH was that!?" My boyfriend was panting and noticeably spooked. He said he was just taking a leak half asleep when out of nowhere his electric travel razer that was sitting on top of the porcelain water reservoir turner on. The vibration and rattling on the tank was ear numbingly loud at 2 am in the morning. "Damn near gave me a heart attack, I didn't touch it or anything, I was just peeing and it just started buzzing, look! It isn't even plugged into the wall, how the hell does this even happen!?!"

I immediately had shivers down my spine, the hair dryer... I haven't even told him yet.

The hair dryer turns on for me, the razor turns on for him, how creepy is this? My boyfriend and I were not really into paranormal things or believed in ghosts but here we were, THOROUGHLY creeped out in this old brick building. To make things more eerie, we found swastika and iron cross tiles imbedded around the old fire place which was a very strange thing to find in 2016.

During one night at around 2-3 am we were both dead asleep and woken by a extremely loud BANG inside our room. It was so loud, my boyfriend shot up in his sleep and had his gun in his hand within a few seconds (he is a Marine). If I had to describe the bang, it sounded as if someone had a large stack of heavy books and dropped them from the ceiling to the floor. It was LOUD. The light switch was right above my head and as I switched it on I was expecting to see disarray, something broken or fallen on the floor or something knocked over, but there was nothing. Absolutely nothing. Not a thing out of order, we could never figure out what in the world made this loud bang.

As the months passed my boyfriend and I broke up and I lived there alone, at night I frequently noticed that right at the moment I was drifting into a sleep, I would be woken by what felt like screaming directly into my ear and it was accompanied by what felt like electric jolts in my brain. It felt very wrong, violent and as if I was being attacked.

These electric jolts almost felt like seizure activity and I started to worry that maybe I have developed a seizure disorder or a brain tumor. A month or so later, I had a date over for the first time, we were sitting on the couch talking when he suddenly interrupted me and said: "I'm sorry, I don't want to seem weird or freak you out but I can't focus like this, do you by any chance believe in spirits or ghosts?"

I looked at him with this blank stare.

He didn't know any of the weird things that have happened since I moved in. So I answered with "well, not really, but since I moved here some weird things happened that kind of make me wonder". He smiled and said "I really really hope I won't deter you or make you think I am nuts, but I have been able to see spirits since I've been little and you definitely have one here, female, she is standing on your porch right now" he looked uneasy and pointed at the screened in porch.

I think all the blood has drained out of my face at this point. I was so shook at what this stranger in my house just said.

He continued to tell me that she is wearing a bathrobe and she used to live here... 50s maybe 60s, he said. "She died here, in the bathroom, suicide in the bath tub"

I was just flabbergasted at this point. So as soon as he said all that I started telling him about all the things that have happened since I moved in and he validated all these occurrences as most certainly her doing.

Shortly after, I moved out of the house and into a small 1 bedroom lake house across the lake.

I never felt the strange electric jolts in my Twilight sleep again, and never had electric objects turn on or off or have things constantly falling to the floor.

This only occurred in this house.

The same guy that told me about the female spirit came and visited me about a month or two after I moved out. He told me how much he liked my new place and how it is such a better healthier place for me to live in. He continued to tell me, that he didn't want to make me uncomfortable or anxious at the time, but he is so glad I am out of that place, there was a darkness at this old house and the female spirit was NOT friendly, she wished me harm.

I was never a believer in ghosts or spirits, but after this experience, I am 100% sure the place was haunted.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Inga, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Paul1 (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-05-26)
You should have a Catholic Mass said for the women who killed herself and she can be freed. Ghost often appear because they want someone to pray for their soul.
Linjahaha (24 stories) (126 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-03-29)
I'm glad for you that you got out of that house. Things would have just escalated, believe me. My late husband,& I lived in a haunted house for almost 4 years. Don't ask me how we did it. However, we were finally driven out of there.
That guy came to you at just the right time to let you know what was there, & possibly help you with that knowledge.
Something like that usually changes one's views on the paranormal. It's wonderful that you're someplace much better!
Zander (7 stories) (146 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-03-14)
Hi, Inga! Apologies for the delay! That was so nice of you to send photos! I don't seem to have received them, though, somehow... Do you have a link, maybe, that you could post? Again, appreciate the gesture very much!
MrsRamsay (guest)
 
2 years ago (2022-03-06)
Wow,that's a pretty interesting date. Some people get lucky like that and some people just get a dinner at Applebees!:) Really great story.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+2
2 years ago (2022-02-25)
About the 'swastikas' - the Nazi party placed it on their flag in 1920, but for about 5000 years before that it was a Sanskrit symbol (svastika) meaning good fortune, or 'conducive to well being'. It's also been featured in Byzantine and Christian art, and is still a sacred symbol in Hinduism, Buddhism, and other Asian religious traditions.
Along with crowns, fleur de lis, interlocking circles, swastikas were used in decorative tiles in many, many buildings. So finding them on a fireplace, doesn't strike me as that odd, and is a useful tool in dating it. Any idea as to when the house was built?
InTheNight (2 stories) (34 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-02-24)
[at] Zander

Are you seriously denying the holocaust right now?!
Inga (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-02-24)
Hi Zander, I actually juuust sent the pictures from the swastika/iron cross tiles around the fireplace in an email. So they might be uploaded in the next few days! I know the symbol is ancient and means a lot of other things, however after asking the landlord about it, she confirmed that the original owners of the house were Nazi enthusiasts 😯 I was pretty disturbed by it!
I hope you get to see the pictures! And thanks for liking my creepy experience!
Zander (7 stories) (146 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-02-23)
Amazing! That guy you met seems like a Godsend. That was really brave of you to stay on, there, alone. I'm glad you've found a good place, now.

About the swastikas, they were sold at county fairs in the US, used by the Coca~Cola company and in Southwest American Indian rug designs until the later 40s. It's an ancient Indo-European sun symbol. Speaking of the "Indo" part, you'll still find it used in East Indian sacred designs and Buddhist ones as well.

As to its use in the mid 20th century...well, I've learned that armies make propaganda about their opponents as a matter of course. Historians seem increasingly aware that some really twisted, horror story stuff was claimed by the Soviets about Germany, and the Allies went along with it to get their people to support going to war. Thanks again for sharing this story. It's really good.
Rajine (14 stories) (769 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-02-23)
Hi Inga

If I were you I wouldn't have lasted that long in that house, I'd be out of there within a week.

I believe that guy came into your life for this reason only, to tell you about what was going on there, I really do believe that some people are gifted with being able to sense and see the supernatural.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: