You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Strange Lake House Occurances

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Lake House Occurances

 

I live in a one-story house by a private lake in a gated community with my mother, and my two sisters, Lily and Rose. I am the oldest child at fifteen, as Lily is nine and Rose is seven. Before I begin, I think that if I explain my house a bit more, the events that took place will make a bit more sense.

When you enter the front door of my house, to the left is the garage, laundry room, and master bedroom. Straight ahead is the living room, which has large bay windows that overlook the lake as well as our dock. The living room opens up into the kitchen without any walls or doors between the two rooms. Also connected to the living room is a hallway with a bathroom and three bedrooms. My bedroom is right across from the bathroom, whereas Rose's bedroom is to the right of it, and Lily's bedroom is next to mine. At the very end is a small closet that holds blankets and whatnot.

The events seemed to have first started when my mother and her boyfriend Matt, who comes over to our house nearly every day, were watching a horror movie known as The Skeleton Key in the living room. Suddenly, in the middle of the movie, a lamp that had been unplugged for years turned on. Startled, my mother jumped off of the couch, but didn't think any more of it than a weird phenomenon. Matt agreed that it was probably nothing, and they returned to the movie. The next morning, my mother told me about the event that occurred the previous night, but didn't mention anything to my sisters. A week passed, and nothing happened as far as we could tell.

One night, I went to the library to finish homework, and my sisters had a sleepover, so that left just my mother and Matt home alone. She told me when I got home that the fireplace had burst into flame without anyone going near it. She looked frightened, so I made Rose and Lily sleep with her that night.

In my mother's room, she had a very old computer that hadn't been used since I was a small child. It wasn't plugged in or anything. But, in the wee hours of that night, the computer screen blinked on with a simple error message displayed. My sister Rose is a very light sleeper, so the light woke her, and she woke my mother. We got rid of the computer the next morning.

About a month passed after that experience, and we finally thought that the house was now at peace. We were, indeed, wrong.

My other sister Lily has this habit of talking to herself every night before she goes to sleep. She'll do so for about ten minutes, and then drift off into dreamland. But, late one particular night, Lily didn't stop talking to herself. It was making me angry because I couldn't fall asleep, so I got up and walked into Lily's room.

"Lily, who on earth are you talking to?!" I demanded.

Lily blinked at me, and then said, "Him," and pointed to the window, where no one stood. I have to admit that I was a bit spooked by this, but children do have very active imaginations, especially in my family. So I simply told her to go to sleep and went back to bed. I didn't hear her talking any more that night.

The next morning, I was awakened by the sound of Rose crying and calling for me.

"Violet! Help me!" she'd cry.

Alarmed, I walked to her room to see what was the matter. I tried to open the door, but it wouldn't budge. I pushed it harder, even rammed my shoulder into it, but it still wouldn't move. I ran and told Matt that there was something blocking Rose's door, and he had to take a running start in order to get it open. It appeared that someone had pushed Rose's big oak dresser in front of the door. It was much too heavy for a seven year old to move.

The most current event that's happened to us is this. Next to the windows and the backdoor of the living room, there's a little sign that says "Fishing Season is Year-Round" that hangs off of a nail with a wire. Well, one evening, my mother, Matt, my aunt, and I were all sitting on the couch next to the sign. Suddenly, it just fell off of the wall, right in front of us. There wasn't any way it could've fallen off by itself, because the nail that it was hanging from was bent at an angle to prevent it ever to fall off accidentally. It startled us, but we laughed it off as Casper just trying to get some attention.

I'm not sure if this counts, because, like I stated earlier, children do have very active imaginations. However, due to the events that have occurred to me in the past, I'm forced to be open to the possibility that the things that Lily says is true. She claims that people will come out of the television in her room and try to scare her. We tried to solve this problem by letting her sleep on the couch, but she's just as disturbed, saying that the same people will come out of the living room television as well. If there's a television in the room that she's supposed to sleep in, she won't sleep unless the television is covered with a blanket or a towel or something.

I can assure you that these things I've experienced are real, and that they aren't just some stories that I've made up for entertainment. To be honest, I'm sort of surprised that my dog hasn't acted up during these few months, but he acts like nothing's happened. I guess the whole "animal instincts" thing about ghosts aren't true. But I'm very sure that my house is something not unlike haunted, and I'm determined to get rid of whatever it is that's causing my family to be afraid of their own house.

Thank you very much for reading; I appreciate the time you took to read about my strange lake house occurrances.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Anyka, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Anyka (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-03)
Miracles- Ohhhh, I see what you're saying now! That was my mistake when writing my story, I meant to write "that next night" instead of "that night".
Sorry for the confusion! 😊
Anyka (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-03)
Miracles- What would you like for me to clear up? After school I had stayed at the library. My sisters were over at a friend's house for a sleepover. I got home and my mother looked like she had just seen a ghost (pun intended;D) and told me that, while I was gone, the fireplace suddenly caught fire.
Anyka (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-03)
Very sorry for the delay, I'll answer questions as fast as I can!

No, it was happening before Matt came into our lives.
My dog is around two or three years old, I think. He's pretty much a young dog.
The computer was a very old PC.
I was around eleven or so when these things started happening, I suppose, and yes, toys have been randomly scattered across the floor when I get home from school sometimes. I'd just cleaned the room that morning.
paul19 (1 stories) (18 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-27)
Also I don't mean any offense but animals actually do sense spirits my dog has many times barked at unseen things.
paul19 (1 stories) (18 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-27)
I have noticed many houses near the water seem to have a lot of spirits dwelling there. My family has a beach house which was built in 1870. I always feel like I am being watched by something. Ask neighbors if they have had similar expiriences.
Shady4u (2 stories) (188 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-02-27)
Hey there! After reading your story I've concluded that your house is sure to be haunted and the worst part is, your sisters are too little to experience these stuff. I suggest you call a priest and get your house blessed for good. I love this story, thanks!
-Shady
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-02-27)
Anyka - I was confused at this part of your story, so I'm just wondering if you'll clear it up for me, okay?

"One night, I went to the library to finish homework, and my sisters had a sleepover, so that left just my mother and Matt home alone. She told me when I got home that the fireplace had burst into flame without anyone going near it. She looked frightened, so I made Rose and Lily sleep with her that night."

Thanks 😊
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-02-27)
Its been mentioned so here it is...

Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)

Day one: Open all curtains window and doors with screens installed, let fresh air and sunshine into the home. Have all closets, cabinets and other 'dark spaces' open so that as much natural light as possible can enter those spaces. After 2-3 hours take a broom and 'sweep' out each room (this is symbolic and you do not have to really sweep) focus your thoughts on sweeping (pushing) out all negative energies / entities /thoughts. Close home up after completing each room of your home... Please do not forget your garage if you have one. (Optional) Light incense (sandalwood or Dragons-blood works well for me) and let aroma fill the home, and/or play a tape that contains your favorite Church/Positive, Upbeat (songs that give you good thoughts) songs before you begin sweeping.

Day two (or three): Once again open all curtains, windows and doors. Take a White candle (Optional) to the center most point of the home, sit on the floor and place candle in front of you. Light the candle (visualize a white ball of light) and then focus on the flame... Visualize the flame (white light) filled with positive thoughts, energy. (Say a prayer at this time if you so desire... Ask for cleansing positive energy to fill the candles flame/white light). Hold this 'image' in your mind and then visualize the flame (light) slowly expanding outward, visualize it filling the room your in, every corner and 'dark space'. Continue to visualize it expanding...it's outer edges pushing away (burning away) any and all negative energies/entities out and away from each room in your home. Once you have visualized this flame (light) filling your entire home, picture it expanding to your property lines. Hold this image in your mind for a few moments then visualize 'anchoring' this flame (light) where you are sitting which is the center most point of your home. Once you have done this. Take a deep breath, relax a few moments and then blow out the candle. (If you didn't use a candle just let yourself relax a moment or two.) "

Now you can create a shield for yourself using the 'home shield' technique but instead of focusing on your home visualize the 'flame' simply surrounding you instead of your home... Best time to do this is after a nice shower using a rosemary scented soap (rosemary is good for purification and protection.)

I'll start off by asking this... How old were YOU when these experiences started? Do they ever happen when YOU are not at home? As far as your Dog not reacting, If, IF my hunch is correct he may not react because the source of the 'energy' involved is something he recognizes.

Respectfully,

Rook
byroben (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-27)
just remember to show no fear. They won't bother you if they aren't acknowledged. That's probably why they haven't bothered you after the last event.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-27)
Dear LillyPieLindsay,
I must say this... Well done...really...you gave such nice and rounded up suggestions to the o/p 😁

I admire your clarity...

Regards
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-27)
Dear Anyka/Violet,

I have never heard a more stranger tale if it be true...

I hereby request all my esteemed & experienced friends on this site,esp. Rookdygin famed for his cleansing not to say the least, to take a look at this narrative and kindly present their own views.

Regards
LillyPieLindsay (35 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-02-26)
Or of curiosity how old is your dog? Is it still young or is it an older dog who might have issues seeing or hearing? I (and others on here) usually try to look for normal reasons for things happening before jumping to the idea of everything being supernatural in origin, so don't be offended by our questions! I generally can write off things like lamps being turned on seemingly by themselves (although it seems spooky at the time!) but NOT when they were unplugged as you say they were! Was the old computer you mentioned a laptop (that may have contained a battery pack) or a regular pc?

As far as getting help for everything going on, I would first recommend talking to your Mom about it and maybe showing her some of the suggestions here. There is a cleansing ritual that is NOT pay of any particular religious affiliation that a poster named Rook came up with that I know is very helpful to many. I'm sure someone can find it or post it here for you (I'm on a phone and can't do it at the moment) and maybe you and your Mom can do it and try to get rid of whatever may be in your house together? You may want to do it at a time when the other children aren't there, so you don't get any interference or scare them. It's not at all scary to do the cleansing but they may wonder whyyou are lighting candles and talking to the air! Good luck to you and your family!
JennZ (72 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-26)
First off, I Love how your Mom named all of you after flowers! Second, I was about to ask the same thing as Emotionalprincess, how long has your Mom been with her boyfriend? Has anything happened before he came around?
Emotionalprincess (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-26)
mmmm did you ever experience such things before. Matt came into your life?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: