You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Terror At The Lake

Real Ghost Stories

Terror At The Lake

 

The recent Covid-19 lockdown has given me an unusual and mostly welcome respite from work and the ongoing rat race. Like many of you reading my story I have been connecting with my family and friends via Skype and zoom and there has been a lot of talk and recollection of past events, especially holidays abroad and social gatherings.

During one of my 'virtual' weekly family sessions recently the discussion was on a family trip to India in 1992. It was a rare occasion, because together with ourselves from the UK, my auntie and her family were also flying to India from the states as well as my uncle and his family from Dubai. In essence this had very quickly become a family reunion/get together vacation. I was 13 at that time and was looking forward to the trip and also to meet up with my cousins and wider family.

As the virtual gathering progressed, my cousin from the states made reference to the time where I fell ill at the lake. To be completely honest the incident was suppressed deep in my memory and it took a good few minutes to recollect the incident. As soon as this happened I was overcome by a very strong sense of fear and terror. I was so affected that I made my excuses and left the zoom meeting. I had to put my head down on the bed just to calm myself down and proceeded to replay the incident that had happened 28 years ago and had just took the wind out of me.

During the trip in 1992, the family made plans to do a road trip from Ahmedabad in Gujarat to Delhi. Idea was to stop at major tourist points such as Mount Abu, Jaipur, Agra and then to Delhi. As you can imagine it was a big family, therefore we had to hire out x2 15 seater coaches for a total of 20 days. The Tour of North India was going splendidly. We had left Jaipur and were on our way to Agra. The scenery was absolutely stunning, therefore we decided to stop to take a break and absorb the surroundings. The sun was also well on its way towards setting, so we had an hour to sundown.

As the adults were organizing and distributing food as well as absolutely overwhelming the roadside tea shop with an epic tea order, my self and 4 other cousins of mine (the big cool kids) decided to venture a little further from the tea stall. Nearby there was a small lake which was set and surrounded by rocks and boulders. It was just about out of visual range and earshot of the tea stall. In other words my older cousins can have a quick crafty cigarette undetected. I wasn't a smoker and had no intention to start so wasn't to keen to hang around the smoke too much.

I was in awe of the astonishing beauty of my surroundings against the setting sun, it was awesome. At that very precise moment my gaze fell upon a very odd looking rock from a far. It had trumped my interest and I approached it for a closer look. As I got closer I saw the most horrific sight that I had ever encountered.

It wasn't a rock! It was a women's head. It was sandwiched between two bigger rocks. I could only see her down to the neck and the rest of her body was obscured behind a rock. The face was terrifying. To best describe it she had a red razor sharp tongue sticking out like a lizard. She had sharp teeth, I saw 2 sticking out like a vampires would. Her eyes were big and wide with traditional Indian make up extending the eye-line up to the edge of her face and her hair was pitch black and loose. She stared directly at me with an intense stare and a sinister smile. I was so terrified at this point that I was literally paralyzed.

Whilst I was 'frozen' my cousin from the states noticed the woman also but his immediate reaction was to grab me and run as fast as possible. I remember being pulled very hard and snapping out of it and screaming at the top of my voice. It was dark the sun had set and I had only enough strength to get to my parents and didn't dare look back.

On return to the family at the tea stall, everyone was ready to board and continue our journey. We immediately told our parents and family what happened, my Dad wasn't having any of it, he was sceptical. He was was ready to go over to the lake and check what it was with my uncles (equally sceptical) and lay it all to rest. However the man at the tea stall warned my dad and my uncle that they should leave immediately. My dad laughed at the suggestion, however my mum is very superstitious and demanded that we left. We boarded the coaches and headed off towards Agra.

The incident was so traumatic for me that I ended with a fever for the next 3 days. As soon as we got to Agra I was taken to a hospital and ended up staying overnight. Slowly but surely the memories of this incident slipped and faded away especially once I got back home and as I got older. Replaying this had bought it back, but I feel emotionally, spiritually and intellectually stronger to deal with it. But one question still haunts me until this day, what was it? As usual any comments and views from you are always welcome. Take care and stay safe people.

Other hauntings by Quasar

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Quasar, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

DarriuxDarkk (6 stories) (79 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-09-14)
hi Quasar,

First thing that captured my attention when I was reading your story was when you said you had a fever for 3 days after that incident at the lake.

That reminds me of Philippine superstitions that whenever an entity especially the elemental ones have shown fondness on a child. The child usually developed fever that very day or next.

It is a common occurrence that sometimes parents on the rural areas even seek help on witch doctors or so called albularyos and they do some rituals or offerings to appease the entities so that the child can recover.

Your fever experience somehow correlates to these kind of situations especially that you were young then when that incident happened.

I believe what you witnesses was an elemental spirit, though as what other people have commented, India has their own myths and folklore but none the less somehow part of the experiences you had shared some common grounds on other countries folklores and superstitions.

Thanks for sharing and God bless.
Marykori (6 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-09-12)
Hi quassar

Your experience was thrilling no doubt, the description about entity you gave here matches up with jal pischani (evil water creatures) , good part you guys were saved (as it was destined ofcourse) sonetimes god in form of relatives and frends can come up and save us
Quasar (4 stories) (13 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-06-29)
Hi Jethalal, I can't be precise regarding the exact time as it was 28 years ago. What I can say is that it was at sunset time, the month was February, I would say mid Feb. Not sure what day it was. As I don't reside in India not sure what time sundowns are. Maybe you can help deduce the time with information I have supplied? I am curious regarding your query, Why would the exact time be critical? Again this is my lack of understanding of local customs and traditions. I await your response. Thanks
Quasar (4 stories) (13 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-06-28)
Valkicry 100% in agreement with you here. I admit that I should have bitten my lip as well. However can't stand people trolling in general. Hopefully we can move on from this and get back to discussing the topics at hand.
valkricry (49 stories) (3270 posts) mod
+4
4 years ago (2020-06-28)
Quasar, I deleted your comment as it would not have made sense since I deleted Ambrotos' comment.
[at] Ambrotos, this Corvid virus have you a bit irate or what? You know what you said wasn't very nice.
I will say this to BOTH of you, it's very easy to misread stories and comments. Since this is a global site and we're all human (I think... Might have a few extraterrestrials or ghosties in the mix) every one has a different mastery of the language, let alone different writing abilities, there will be misunderstandings. What was intended as a humorous comment could be read as being snarky, an actual question as nit-picking or baiting. It's human nature to want to push back. But, criminies, isn't there enough ugliness in the outside world without bringing it in here? Are we children squabbling on the playground?
Remember, IF you perceive someone as being mean to you, nothing takes the wind out of them as being twice as nice back.
Quasar (4 stories) (13 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-06-25)
Hi Lorenzo, up until that point I was fine health wise. Regarding hallucinating the whole thing, logically I would put weight behind the possibility. However I wasn't the only one to have seen her. My cousin from the states, the one who pulled me away also saw her. He wasn't as effected as me, I had the greater exposure and eye contact with her. Thinking about it again it was a damn scary sight, especially for a 12 year old.
Lorenzo (3 stories) (21 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-06-25)
You say you were feverish after wards. Could this whole thing have been an hallucination due to illness?
You don't necessarly have to have a fever to hallucinate.
Nelson_but_not_Mandela (12 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-06-25)
What an awful thing to see I wonder if that monster feeds on the blood of fishes. 🤔
Quasar (4 stories) (13 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-06-24)
Hi Ambrotos. I don't think you have read my narrative properly. The sun was setting, not sure about you but I can still see pretty well during a setting sun, you can't judge someone else's vision by your own standards, unless you are an optometrist. In that case I apologise and defer to your professional judgment and accept that people's vision is substantially impaired during sunset. By the time we got back to the family and explained everything etc it was dark. Maybe on my next holiday I will take a pair of tactical night vision goggles just in case. Please do me the courtesy of reading the full story before asking rudimentary questions.
Ambrotos (6 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-06-24)
If it was dark, how could you see a very odd looking rock from a far?
Quasar (4 stories) (13 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-06-22)
Hi Sushantkar, thank you for your comments. I checked out the place you mentioned but that is Ahmedabad. The incident took place somewhere between Jaipur & Agra so not the one. The trip had plenty of photographs etc, however can' recall or find any specific to this place. It was an unscheduled stop some 28 years ago, and it was early evening time as well. I think it was meant as a quick pit stop, and seemed like a nice place to do so. I have had another look on google Earth for potential candidates for places I have found one that could be the place:

Van Vihar Hunting Lodge
Beerpur, Rajasthan 328028, India
Https://goo.gl/maps/V3GuEhQEPSXerVq56

Again not 100% here but could be the place. It looks like a Hunting Lodge, but again I'd this was the place then didn't realise what it was at the time.
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-06-22)
Hello Quasar!

When I was 12 years old, I had the opportunity to travel 15 days with my aunt and my whole family. That was also a road trip. In which we had the opportunity to see from Mathura to the Taj Mahal in Agra. It has been more than 20 years since this trip. And all the memories related to it and all the pictures of all the picturesque and interesting places we visited at that time are still safe with us.
It was very memorable family trip for you and your family. You must have generals/photos related to it... So you can cross reference from that also.
Ahamadabad has in total of 26 lakes but 5 of them are major.
The Nal Sarowar lake & sanctuary is the biggest of them and also it matches with your encounter.
I hope you will soon update us regarding the same.

Regards
Quasar (4 stories) (13 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-06-22)
Hi Guy's, thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts & views. It has got me thinking. I asked family regarding possible location of where we stopped, but that's like asking how long a piece of string is. As it was so long ago it's hard to recall, I believe we were still within Rajasthan maybe. Looked on google maps and it's like finding needle in a haystack. Alina5 Regarding the tea seller, his cautious words I think were more regarding safety in general about walking in the dark near a lake etc etc. I think he also sensed the possible anxiety that would have been caused by further delays. I could be wrong but I personally don't think local folklore/superstition would stop business and trade. Again guys not an expert in the supernatural, therefore Indian Sirens etc wouldn't have a clue where to start. I just described what I saw along with my cousin, could have been a practical joke by a local. I am open to all possibilities. Lady-glow, TBH on my next trip to India I was planning on visiting Bhangharh in Rajasthan, which is supposedly the most haunted place in India. I might as well expand my trip to broaden my search for the lake as well. I will do a bit more digging and quiz some of my family in India to help get on a warm feeling on the location. One thing I did learn from my travels is that India is huge and mysterious with heck of a lot of unknowns. I will keep you all posted if I discover anything. Take care.
Alina5 (3 stories) (136 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-06-21)
Hello Quaser,

I believe frantically having a road trip this long of 20 days from the western former region of India to the North can impact your health in certain ways.

Can you exactly recall the name of the lake? Or the specific area where you stayed? It doesn't have to be the exact location just the district or the city or village in general.

"the tea shop owner warned my dad"

This seems to be the most obvious cliché with most of the Indian stories...
If the tea owner had any idea of the ongoings then why didn't he reveal the details beforehand.

Did your father asked any further details to the tea shop owner warning?

If the place is really that dangerous why he had opened up a teashop there in the first place?

I personally on residing in India for almost 27 years have never heard of these "Indian sirens". It is something new to me so I'm quite curious in thus context.

Peace
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-06-21)
Wow...it seems like Indian sirens are quite ugly and wear very good quality waterproof mascara! (Just kidding)

Quasar.

In my opinion, it's hard to know what you saw based on the information provided in your narrative. The only way to say for sure if the lake siren wasn't a discarded mannequin, or a rotten coconut covered with seaweed, or an endangered and dangerous mythical creature would have been to investigate "her" nature at that moment.

Did anyone was curious enough to ask the locals if they knew who or what this woman could have been?
Now that you are "emotionally, spiritually and intellectually stronger to deal with it", have you considered going back to that place to try to learn more about its history?

Without knowing where this happened not the history and legends of the place, we only can guess and give our opinion but not answer what it/she was.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: