You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Watchman

Real Ghost Stories

Watchman

 

In the late 1980s, our locality had a thin, but very brave watchman. He and his brother would watch the security of our houses at night. They both were honest to the core and bravest of the brave. Everyone in the locality loved them, especially that watchman.

Although there were no such things as robbery and theft in our & other neighboring localities, everybody felt a necessity of having a watchman both day and night - "Night" to be precise. Our locality had those 2 watchmen brothers only at night because we didn't feel the need for one in the daytime.

The early '80s were comparatively very peaceful compared to the late '80s. Because in the late '80s, there was a sudden increase in thefts, robberies, extortion, etc. (All thanks to the media for glorifying the Mumbai Underworld; every roadside bully, and the street gangs started dreaming to become a Mafia.). The cops tried their best to check these matters and succeeded a lot, yet there were still a few of those 'wannabees' who always managed to escape.

Though no harm ever happened to civilians during day time, the nights always brought fear to the localities and a chance of having a way with their misdeeds for those robbers.

A few times these robbers did try to enter the apartments, homes, etc; but the alert people and those two watchmen successfully fended them off.

Days passed smoothly, tension free.

Then one night that very unpleasant, unthinkable, and 'fateful' thing took place.

During a failed attempt at burglary and fighting off the watchman, one of the culprits attacked the watchman. That culprit somehow got the upper hand and brutally killed our beloved watchman.

It was really bad luck as the brother of that watchman was not present there due to his health issues.

The injuries were so fatal that the watchman breathed his last then & there.

This incident shook us all.

A huge outrage broke. Chaos occurred everywhere. We all strictly demanded the arrest of those burglars and especially that murderer.

After two months or so, the cops caught the culprits and presented them in court. All were given 20 years or so of jail imprisonment.

Now here come 2 mysterious things -

One is; after a few days in jail, one night one of those culprits suddenly started shouting and crying for help.

When the jail attendant asked the reason for this behavior, he cried and asked them to 'take this man out of here and please don't let him come here', pointing at one corner of his cell.

The attendants checked the cell thoroughly but they didn't find anything or anyone suspicious.

The next night again, that culprit/prisoner started crying and shouting for help. Upon asking, he repeated the same lines which he had said last night. Just to make sure, the attendants checked his cell but again didn't find anything at all.

This happened consecutively for the next couple of nights. And one morning nearly 10 am he was found dead in his cell.

Later it was revealed that the time when that culprit used to scream in panic was exactly the same time when he had brutally killed the watchman. And in the morning the time when he died was the same as when the watchman was cremated!

Sounds very fanciful and surprising, right?!

But it's true.

The other thing is whenever someone tried for robbery etc. He/they had completely lost their mental state the very next morning. Nobody knows the exact reason... To date!

We all miss him. He was honest, humble, and helpful. He was a Gem.

Thank you guys for being patient & reading this long story.

Pardon me for my English mistakes, (if there are any).

Other hauntings by The_Dark_Soul

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, The_Dark_Soul, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

BaiAnina (3 stories) (41 posts)
+4
1 year ago (2023-02-05)
What happened to the beloved watchman was sad an unfortunate...

I don't necessarily think that the watchman haunted his murderer; he seems like a kind soul based on your description of him. What I think, however, is that the apparitions that the perpetrator has seen was a manifestation of his bad karma and his guilt haunted him until he broke and died. I felt like that's reasonable (and deserved) because he harmed an innocent life.
CrimsonTopaz (1 stories) (238 posts)
+1
1 year ago (2023-02-04)
D-Soul, this is my second attempt to comment and unfortunately I have lost the comment prior to this one. Who knows where it went. Anyway, it just said - I really enjoyed your retelling of the events.
Good read, May the watchman RIP. 🙏
Thanks for sharing.
nacpat88 (3 stories) (10 posts)
+4
1 year ago (2023-01-30)
Hi The_dark_soul,

Thanks for sharing the incident. I know of similar incidents of spirits going about their routine even after death. This might be a similar case. What happened to the brother? Is he still working in your locality? We're there any sightings of the spirit? Did any of the later victims of the spirit coherent enough to relate what happened to them.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2023-01-29)
One more question.

If "he was honest, humble, and helpful. He was a Gem."
During his life, why isn't his spirit just preventing any mischievous acts from happening instead of taking justice on his own hands by making the criminals mentally ill?

Okay, I understand that you might not know the answer to this last question, but, to my knowledge, spirits tend to preserve the personality they had during their time as living persons.

As an example, a loving grandmother wouldn't turn into a cruel and bitter spirit once she's passed away.

Then, it makes no sense for the Watchman's spirit to act in such an abusive way.
Just my opinion.

I'm ready for the down-votes.
Rajine (14 stories) (740 posts)
+1
1 year ago (2023-01-29)
Hi The_Dark_Soul

It's really tragic as to what happened to the watchman, I suppose that even in death he's still looking out for everyone.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+4
1 year ago (2023-01-28)
Hello Dark_Soul.

I have some questions about your story and thank you beforehand for your answers.

How do you know what happened in the prison?
Do you know if the criminals were staying in individual cells or sharing one amongst several prisoners?

I'm asking because, in my opinion, it's odd that the guards would bother checking the cell if they knew that there was only one person there, or that they would enter one cell if it wasn't obvious that the man was being attacked by one of his cellmates.

Also, what do you mean by "whenever someone tried for robbery etc. He/they had completely lost their mental state the very next morning. Nobody knows the exact reason... To date!"

As you, English is not my first language and it is not clear to me if you mean that every time that someone has committed a crime in the area have mysteriously lost their mind and this has been happening and still happens since the late 80's, or if to this day it is not known the reason why all that people lost their marbles... Or both?

I imagine one could think that the watchman is making these people go insane out of a sense of duty and protecting the neighborhood as he did during his life, but it would be important to investigate if these individuals had previous health/mental problems before jumping to the conclusion of the ghostly avenger punishing wrongdoers from the great beyond, and denying the right to be judged and sanctioned according to the law. Or perhaps these criminals are pretending insanity in order to avoid going into trail.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: