You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Grandma Came To Visit Me

Real Ghost Stories

Grandma Came To Visit Me

 

Grandma came to visit me one last time. This story is very personal for me. It occurred a little over a year today but I still remember it so clearly. I feel as if I took a little paranormal break for a little while. I worked through some personal things. Some job things that led to depression. Then pulled myself back out, dusted myself off, had a few bouts of being sucked back in and came back out on the other side again... But back to what happened a year ago. I can even tell you the date: July 6, 2022. Grandma had not been well. She was my last living grandma. You're probably not supposed to have a favorite, but she was a favorite. She always acted like whatever I did was great. She never told me I wasn't enough or doing enough. She accepted everything and everyone.

She ended up in the hospital. I think her mind was going in some ways and she wasn't taking her medication. She had become a stubborn older lady at 94 years. Why did she stop taking her medication? I wish I knew if she forgot or just didn't feel like it. Both are possible. My mom and one of my uncles lived close to Grandma and she enjoyed her freedom in her little apartment. Grandma and I did not even live in the same state. She was in Montana which was my home for many years and I was in Utah.

From the hospital she was moved to this rehab facility and had been there for a couple good weeks. It was apparent to me and other cousins that grandma might not make it out of there back to her cute little apartment. My mom held out hope. She kept telling me that, "mom might have to stay there a little longer than planned, but I think she will be back." Then before grandma passed, they cleaned out her apartment. And grandma peacefully left this earth. I knew the day it happened and even the time. Physically I was asleep in bed, but it's like I went somewhere.

Everything is so sharp. It felt almost like Christmas but it wasn't. I was at what used to be grandma's house. My grandma and grandpa used to live in the ranch house before it was given to one of "the boys." That side of the family had a very large cattle ranch, but that's a different story - not paranormal. Everyone else in the family was in the background. They were talking. They were sitting in the living room, visiting and everyone was having a good time. I was standing and suddenly grandma was there. She was in one of her favorite red sweaters. She loved red sweaters. She told me it was time to go. She talked only to me and no one else in the family engaged with us the whole time. She looked the way she looked when I was a younger; kid or a teen. I asked her go where but the pit in my stomach knew. She said it was "time to go" again. She gave me a hug and a kiss. I followed her to the door and asked where she was going. She said she needed to go now. She stopped at the door and I knew I was unable to go farther. The interesting part is this part of the ranch house, my uncle had added on to. I marveled at how that addition was gone. This was grandma's house again. Grandma opened the door and looked at me one last time. It was dark outside. It would have been dark this time in the physical world as well. She walked out the door and there were 3 people outside. I noticed grandma's garden was lush again. The way it had been when she was alive and before my aunt ripped up all the plants grandma had loved and cared for. She never looked back. She walked outside to those 3 people and her arms raised up to hug. The middle one was her mom. Don't ask how I know, I just know. Although I may have met my great-grandma once I don't remember her, and I have just a few memories of meeting this lady in a nursing home before she passed on. My mom said I was maybe 3 at the time.

I woke up. I gasped, looked at the clock. It was a little after 4. I put my head back down and told myself to get some sleep, but felt the pit in my stomach. Amazingly I went back to sleep. I woke up around 6:30. Looked at my phone. Saw there was a voicemail. It was from my mom. I knew. I just new. Her voicemail was amazingly calm, not full of emotion and just said to give her a call. I called her and she said, "grandma passed." I didn't know what to say except, "I'm sorry. I know." She said not to be sorry. It was very peaceful. She told me story of my uncle calling her around 2 am and the nurses had been in. They weren't sure she'd make it through the night. My mom asked if she needed to come in and he didn't know, but said things were okay. My mom got up, made coffee. Drank some and woke up my dad and told him she was going in. She went in and she and my uncle talked quietly and laughed while talking about memories, and she sat and rubbed one of grandma's legs as she seemed to be asleep in bed. Then at one point, she said she told my uncle, "I don't think mom is breathing anymore." He came over, agreed, they called a nurse and grandma had passed. It was a little after 4. I told her my story as best as I could without breaking down bawling. I did not share it with other family. However, my mom did and that's okay.

There is a short part 2 to this I will have to write later, and a couple other stories not related to this I need to write down another time. She hasn't been back to visit me yet. I keep hoping she will at some point. It's been little over a year, but maybe she's busy. I am still not sure who the other 2 ladies with her mom were. It was too dark to see them and I probably wouldn't recognize them. I am curious though, and I hope grandma is doing well where ever she went.

Other hauntings by Kest

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kest, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ghostsarecool (2 stories) (9 posts)
+3
9 months ago (2023-08-03)
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh before I even read the rest of your story I have to comment on your visitation dream. I've never had one, but my dad has. After my grandma died, my dad had visitation dreams about her. He was at his aunt's house with a couple of my aunts playing cards, and that went on for a couple dreams, and the third dream, my grandma kept telling my dad that she had to go. He said that he knew and that he was ok with it, and that was the last dream he ever had like that. He had a really hard time accepting her death, and these dreams helped him accept it.
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+3
9 months ago (2023-07-17)
Kest, this is so beautiful. Everything in your dream just beams love and happiness. The imagery in your dream is so powerful and really speaks to the bond you two shared and the overall meaning/reason for the dream.
I absolutely loved reading this it felt like a big hug, and I don't even know your grandmother! Well, your bond really jumped off the page. Bless you and your gran. I'm adding this to my faves.
No doubt your grandmother will find a way to touch base with you again, whether through dreams or other ways.

Thanks for sharing!
mighty_light (2 stories) (21 posts)
+3
9 months ago (2023-07-16)
Hello Kest,

Thanks for sharing your story. It's sad yet heartwarming. Your grandma wanted to assure you she's ok and showed you a memory of a point in your life where everyone seems to be happy back in her old home.
Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
+3
9 months ago (2023-07-16)
Hi Kest

From your story it seems that you were your grandmother's favorite, that is why she visited you one last time, I'd like to believe that the afterlife is a beautiful place where souls are free from bodily constraints and suffering.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: