You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Tours & Haunted Hotels :: The Piano Room

Real Ghost Stories

The Piano Room

 

In my town, there is a huge mansion on the edge of the park, it's open to visitors and people who want to walk through its many rooms, there are tours etc. When I was about 10, my class in school went to look around it one day. As with most big houses, there are ghost stories surrounding it. The story was that a young woman lived there and her father did not approve of her lover so she hung herself in the huge main room from the banister on the balcony. Now you know what kids are like, all the guys in my class were saying they saw a ghost blah blah blah. I didn't really believe it all until I went to use the bathroom. I walked into the bathroom, it was empty and I looked at myself in the mirror and suddenly all the doors on the stalls slammed shut and locked. All of them. Obviously this scared the hell out of me so I bolted out the door and went back to my class. No one believed me though.

I went home at the end of the day and decided I would go back to the mansion on my own and have a look around. I looked through most of the rooms, I had a weird feeling as if I were being watched the whole time. It was very cold even though it was summer. I visited the spot where the woman supposedly hung herself. After a while, I found a circular room draped in red curtains and in the middle of the room was a great big black grand piano facing with its keys away from me. Then I heard music, a slow sad tune issued from the piano and I heard a woman singing, she sang "Servo meus animus vox vocis of piano" I didn't know what it meant at the time, the red drapes began to blow as if there were a high wind in the room, the music stopped and I stood for a moment, then took a pen from my pocket and wrote out the bizarre words she had sung to me. "Servo meus animus vox vocis of piano" is Latin for "Save my soul voice of the piano".

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-21)
Thank you, Oglegen for answering my questions. As I said in the comment, I could see the cubical restrooms being in place, the others I just had no clue about. Unfortunately I have only ever lived in America (I have visited a few other countries, but in the type of visit that I was not able to sight see), and do not have the foggiest on how the school systems work. Thank you. You have shed a light where none was present 😊.
Oglegen (6 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-21)
In Alex's defense, a lot of the stately homes in England have stalls for toilets, as an "add on" in the barns or outbuildings which surround them, just for guests who are looking around the building. And I know of several stately homes that have free-roam policies too. Additionally, a great proportion, say 95% of the private schools in England teach Latin as a subject from year five (8-9 year olds) and so it just maybe likely that he/she did experience this phenomena and write it down. Not saying the story is definitely true, at all, but I can vouch for "how things are" in the UK.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-04)
Hello Alex or Ruthark.
I read the story and the comments, then jumped on over and checked out the encyclopedia page you linked to it and I have got to say I still have some of the same questions that Bellissima had.
I may be missing something here, but with the building changing hands so often and the different owners using the building for different purposes and all, I can see where and why cubical toilets were installed.
This mansion has a "free roam tour" policy I would assume as you were able to roam about the mansion seemingly with no interference.
I wonder though, how would a ten year old know how to write Latin, and what would cause the same said child to decide to write it out in the first place? Generally if children hear something that they like they try to find it later, with out the written word as a guide.
I grew up in a Roman Catholic church, and I have to tell you, I said the words, I joined in the Latin services, but there is no way I would have been able to write down words that I heard only once, and especially if the words were from an unknown origin (i.e. A ghost).
The link you provided took me to a page about the Pump Room. Is that also where the piano is? There was no mention of it in the article, but you were there, and things may have been moved into other rooms since that article was printed and posted. What of the stairwell? You said she hung herself from the banister off the balcony. Was anything seen around this site too?
This is a beautiful story, really. The last couple of lines put it in the category of classical literature, but I still have too many questions.
Thank you.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-04)
Hello Alex. Thanks for the story, I enjoyed reading it although I will have to agree with Bellissima. The story would be completely believable if it happened to an adult but for a ten year old it`s a stretch. I don`t know of any ten year old that has the presence of mind to go back and investigate, taking pen and paper with them, recognize Latin, write down the words and look up the meanings. I`m not saying that I don`t believe the story, it`s just that I don`t believe it happened to a ten year old child. Take Care.

FRAWIN
Ruthark (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-04)
Well Bellissima its a shame you doubt my story. Heres the place it happened in... Got check it out for yourself http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittville_Pump_Room

😉
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-12)
Sorry Alex, I find this hard to believe. First, the story sounds so familiar. I think of urban legends when I read this. Also, why would a mansion have stalls in its bathroom? Even if they conducted tours, I can't imagine modernizing a home that is grand enough to allow people to tour it. And how could you possibly remember (and have the presence of mind) to write the words she was singing and recognize that it was latin in order to find the translation?
bossymiss (1 stories) (30 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-17)
summers right you must have been brave did you visit the toilets again and what happened bye ❤ 😊 😉
Cybil (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-16)
The same exact thing happened to me!
summer (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-02-25)
wow I would freak out wow you were brave I dont think I could have done it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
17 years ago (2007-02-24)
unguided_traveler, if you have medium abilities, I suggest you read our mediums category of stories:

http://www.yourghoststories.com/ghost-stories-categories.php?category=11&page=1
unguided_traveler (9 stories) (35 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-02-24)
wow. so she actually sang that?! that is really interesting. the only spirit who talks to me goes by the name of Todd and he was supposedly the brother of my best friend in one of her past lives.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: