You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Stow-Away Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

The Stow-Away Ghost

 

When I was ten years old, my family moved back to the house on the cattle ranch near Bushnell, Florida. A lot had happened to my family in the '60's. My Daddy was diagnosed with a spinal cord disease that took his ability to provide for his family, we lost a house we were buying after we'd lived at the ranch house the first time.

The owners of the ranch liked my Daddy and wanted to help however they could. Although Daddy couldn't walk or stand very well, he could still work on small engines and do jobs that didn't involve having to be on your feet. But, even with this, we were very poor and my parents decided to move back to their original community in Northwest Alabama to be close to family and old friends. My Daddy was receiving a settlement for his disability that enabled us to move and put a down payment on a new house.

I remember the night before the day we were scheduled to leave the ranch for the last time. My little brother and I were sleeping in the same bed. The curtains had been removed from the window of our room so only the beds and a few pieces of furniture remained. Everything else had been packed into the moving truck for our trip to Alabama.

I was sleeping fitfully, being both excited about the trip and saddened by our leaving the only community I had known as home. Finally, giving up sleep, I rolled onto my side to stare out the window at the moonlit pasture. Staring out the window at night had been something I did quite a bit all my young life. I was too excited about life to let much of it pass me by and even in the stillness of the night I found things to wonder about, and wonders to see.

The window was open and a screen protected us from the bugs so prevalent in Florida. I could hear a mosquito buzzing around the screen and the ever present chirp of tree frogs. A cool breeze blew in on the night air, still full of warmth from the summer.

I was just beginning to get sleepy when I heard scratching on the screen, like someone running their fingernail over the screen. I looked out the window, expecting maybe to see my uncle who was always playing pranks on us. The scratching continued so I got up to look more closely. I could see the ground underneath the window if I pushed my forehead against the screen. There was no one there. I returned to bed, thinking maybe a moth had brushed against the screen.

But, as soon as I pulled the cover over my shoulder and settled into my pillow, the scratching began again. This time it was louder and the scratches longer like someone running their fingernails the entire length of the screen. The noise woke my brother up.

"What's that?" He whispered.

"I don't know..."

As soon as I got the words out, it sounded as if someone was taking the screen off the window, lifting and scooting the wooden screen frame away from the window casing. I rolled away from my brother, my eyes fixed on the moonlit window- the screen was still there, just as it had always been.

Cold filled the room; my brother hugged me tight from behind and whimpered a little. His fear infected me and I slid back into him, distancing myself from the window.

We heard distinctly the sound of someone coming through the window, climbing onto the casing and then heavy boots landing on the floor. The sound reminded me of when my Daddy used to take his work boots off and drop them on the floor with a sigh of relief. The thought of my protective Daddy made me want to scream for help but when I opened my mouth, no sound came out. I soon realized my brother was screaming as silently as I.

We heard the invisible intruder walk around the foot of the bed, then felt the bed jar as if someone had run into it in the dark. The bed began to slowly be pulled out away from the wall at the foot of the bed frame. I covered my head with the blanket and turned to my brother in a fierce hug. He was shaking as if he was chilled to the bone. My heart felt like it would pound out of my chest.

The invisible being sounded as if it was wedging itself between the bed and the wall, lying down in that small space. A few more bumps, as if it was getting comfortable, and then stillness.

My brother and I finally found sleep as we held on to each other until the thin light of dawn came through the window. My Mama was up preparing the family's last breakfast in Florida, juice and oatmeal. My brother and I seemed to wake up at the same time and we both peered cautiously into the space between the bed and the wall, there was nothing there although the bed had been moved away from the wall at the foot of the bed several inches.

We got up and dressed in silence, both tired from a restless night. Before we went into the kitchen, my brother touched my arm and looked at me with plaintive eyes, "It's still here. Can't you feel it watching?"

I nodded my head and thought a second before I spoke, "Maybe we'll leave it here when we move, think so?"

A glimmer of hope came to his eyes and he nodded. We tried to tell Mama and Daddy about it but they were too wrapped up in moving to pay much attention to us.

We made it to Alabama without much of a fuss and stayed with my grandmother for a couple of weeks before my Mama and Daddy found a house that would suit us. Mama and Daddy along with a bevy of uncles and aunts moved what possessions we'd brought with us into our new house and then called the utility company to connect the electricity and what not. Mama and Daddy bought new living room furniture, a dining table and chairs, stove and refrigerator but we'd brought our beds with us.

I believe that the invisible intruder who visited my brother and I stowed away in our bed and we brought this ghost with us from Florida because of the happenings in our new home before we even moved into it properly. Why this ghostly intruder attached itself to us, I don't know and can only guess.

I'll save those stories for another time.

Other hauntings by Ocsana

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Ocsana, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-18)
Hi Ocsana when I was a kid my mom got me a bunk bed so it was easier for my friends to spend the night. I was an only child so I loved to have sleepovers for the company. About a month or two after I got the bed a ghost moved in for years at my house! What I mean to say is that I made it a habit of always sleeping on the bottom bed because it was bigger and whatever it was would lay down on the top bed when I would either go to sleep or take a nap. It physically shaked the bed when it would climb the ladder and lay down on top just like a normal person would do. It never bothered me or tried to scare me and I got used to it. The only thing it would do would turn lights on/off and a particular radio it would turn on full blast when you would walk by the radio to try and get your attention. The ghost left when I finally out grew my bunkbed and my mom sold it. I wonder if it followed the bed and stayed with the new owners or if it moved on to another bunk bed?
I just wrote all of that because it almost seems similar to me in a way.
--Sydney ❀ 😊 ❀
Ocsana (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-13)
You are all so kind and I'm sorry if I am sensitive on the matter of my stories, it's just that I've gotten so much skeptism when I've tried to relate these stories to people who were supposed to be professional on the matter of the paranormal that I'm very skiddish. I've run into people who are so skeptical that they entertain no notion that what is being related to them is true. Everything that appears to be paranormal can be explained away as a hallucination, a dream, bad pipes, rats in the attic kind of thinking. So, again, I'm sorry for balling up my fist and being on the defensive, forgive me. I have to recondition myself to being amoung people who don't think I'm just " that old woman who sees things".
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-11)
πŸ˜†.Well I wouldn't say that Tammy. I know that the word "old" can be a little harsh but from now on I will say WISER insted of old πŸ˜‰.But I still love you all! 😁 I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
Sorry Oscana. Chris, you're pushing your luck! What do you mean, that we're old or just older than you? πŸ˜†

I had a student a few years back who asked me if I was born before or after ww2. CAREFUL!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
Hi Motherpann. I think I'm a little to late your probably finished working 😁.Even though you are a little older then I am (lets just say its a big difference) it is so nice to talk to different people hear. I like Ominiousnyxx are young but we realy like talking to you peopl. I always laugh when I tell my wife that my great friends from hear can be my parents! I honestly have to say its great being here. Meating you all is something special. Its not that we always talk about the paranormal but the feeling we have. Every time I'm here I always feel that I have support from others. Its like a family we never see. And it is we who should protect it. We don't want this site to be another (bul*sh*t) site. It is great and let's be happy that its is.
MOTHERPANN (10 stories) (77 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
I'm working too, 2 more hours to go.
Yes I am 56, but I keeping forgetting to act my age. I still think like a 20 year old but a much wiser person πŸ˜†

I like ghost hunting, sci fi, ufos and things that old fogeys can't relate to, so it is much easier to interact with much younger persons with like interests. Even 13 years olds are on the same level as me as far as I am concerned on the above subjects but sometimes the mom in me rears it's ugly head.

I promise to all the teens who write on here I will try not to pull the old age card on you but I will not hesitate to use a cautionary word to you for your own safety as I would for persons in my own age group. πŸ˜‰
ominousnyxx (10 stories) (136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
Most of these stories scare me. Why do you think I watch comedy shows before I go to bed, LOL.

But this is the only site and the first time I've interacted with people 5x my age and they can act like such kids. πŸ˜†

Sure I work in an office environment with people 2x-5x my age but I hardly talk to them, I mean I'm the only 19 year old office worker in this company & I look 16.

Right now I'm at work >.>" I should be working but I'm on this site (I am working though - just sending through some claims LOL) - JUST 1 HOUR OF WORK LEFT AND I'M FREE FROM HELL!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
πŸ˜† I think I wouldn't hit anybody but you all know that fear can make somebody do weird things! Good thing we could all joke once in a while. Some of these stories are starting to scare me 😨.And a little laughs is a good thing for all of us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
MOTHERPANN (10 stories) (77 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
Chris: a fist huh, remind me not to sneak up on you, LOL. I don't like persons coming up behind me and scaring me and there have been times I swung around with a fist ready to hit. So I should talk huh?
I been surprised that during ghost hunts I haven't shown any fear (so far) but I have had chills run through my body at times when "something" is happening.
P
MOTHERPANN (10 stories) (77 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
Same here about me saying if it is real (apology) or not but unfortunatly there have been some stories on this site, that were not true and were written like a very descriptive English class paper, by younger pranksters, and that is how we/I were able to determine that they were fake. You do write with interesting flair so don't give up your colorful ways, but don't take offence if your stories are questioned.
ohmy (22 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-09)
Ocsana, I hope you didn't take my previous comment the wrong way. It was supposed to be a compliment on your gift for writing, not implying that your story was fiction.
ominousnyxx (10 stories) (136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-09)
Ocsana, I do apologise if I hurt your feelings about implying that your story is made up, but I didn't say it was;p

Just that it was TOO descriptive and it felt like it was. Anyways, I do believe you and as I said I felt a little scared when reading your story - good job on that. πŸ˜†

ChrisB; wow you show your fear by forming a fist? Gee, I better not surprise you then, incase I get punched in the face. LOL!
Ocsana (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-09)
Hello All and thank you for your wonderful and insightful comments.
As for my story sounding like a novel; I write what I remember in as fine detail as I can. My memories are very clear and seem to get clearer as I get older, especially details about past experiences. I also come from a long line of story tellers who told their stories in fine detail also. As for facts, how can you be factual about a ghost story other than time, place, what happened and to who?
Over the 4th of July holiday, while the fire crackers and bottle rockets where going off all around us, I presented my printed stories for my brother to read. He was too young to remember much about the plat eye other than the rukcas my parents and I made when coming back in the front door. He remembered very clearly the ghost coming through the window and how scared he was. We talked about what happened after that night more than anything else. He has some very detailed memories about what happened to us when we moved into the house in Sheffield, Alabama after we moved from Florida.
None of what I am writing is "made up" and it hurts me to hear people implying that my stories are fiction. There are plenty of sites to publish fictional stories on but this is the only one I've found that publishes what is true. I am not saying that I am that great a story teller. This is the way I write, the way I was taught to write in school wheather fiction or not; to be concise, detailed and interesting. It's the art of story telling; an art that has been lost in many ways. You can take the most mundane of happenings and make it interesting without involving any kind of fiction if you want. I would not know how to present my story in other way.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-09)
Hi Motherpann. I haven't heard from you for a while. I understand why you ask this questin. Why do people hide under the sheet? It is wierd isn't it? I have done it on one occasion and I was 17-18 don't realy remember but I wasn't a small kid but still?Why.Now I have a another problem. When I get scared my hand turns into a fist. My wife scared me not long ago and I almost hit her πŸ˜†.I guess everybody has there way of showing fear. Some people run others pee there pants. I think there is so much adrelin running in the blood that the mind acts differently. And In some cases pretty much dumb. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-09)
Motherpann, I know exactly what you mean-with the time difference in Greece, I have the same problem 😊
MOTHERPANN (10 stories) (77 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-09)
rhodes68, I agree with your point, also when I wrote some of my experiences I found I wrote some fill-in information on my story to keep it interesting and to have enough words to make the minimum requirements to get posted.

I guess I was kind of of harsh tonight, its 3 am ish now and sometimes I get impatient with some of the stories. I try to believe everyone because I know ghosts exist based on my own expeirience but sometimes the writing/story seems to good to be true and I get mad that someone is trying to pull the wool over our eyes so they can add to this WONDERFUL site. Not saying this is one of them!

(I wish my company would let me access the chat page so I could talk out some more thoughts and questions but they bock chat sites and the only time I can access this board is from 1 am to 5 am m-f)

Sorry to take up space on Ocsana story page, please forgive me.

I do look forward to more on what is going on at your new home and if the ghost followed you there. Please keep us posted
Pann
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-09)
To Motherpann:

I'd first like to address your skeptism-although justified-concerning too well written to be true stories.

Sometimes when I personally deal with something supernatural or not, I find myself unable to discuss it with others until I'm either calm, managed to make some sense out of it or if that's impossible, at least kind of accept it.
This along with the language I choose to present it to my listeners helps me distance myself from the events and somehow feel "protected" from further harm.

In addition, despite my excitement or terror, I consider it 'improper' to write in the same casual fashion as I speak. I need to re-organize my paragraphs, check vocab and spelling, etc,etc.

The effect of all that may ultimately deprive my text from credibility as it 'lacks' panic or intimate emotion but I cannot bring myself to do it the other way round.

As for why some people may hide themselves under blankets, it's simply because it's equally effective to running away from what you perceive as a ghost. In both cases the response is ineffective but it's instinctual. You can't protect yourself with a blanket or by running away from a non-material intruder. It's just a reaction based on the person's personality. Think of those members of the animal kingdom (giraffes) who stick their heads inside a hole on the ground. How effective can that be? 😊
MOTHERPANN (10 stories) (77 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-09)
EXACTLY!

I know my covers make me feel warm and safe (I'm 56)

Also I know that "if he can't see you he can't hurt you theory" but maybe I am humanizing the entities thinking that they know what's under the blanket and if they can walk through walls they can reach through a blanket.
ominousnyxx (10 stories) (136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-09)
LOL, you're no crabby old lady:P
I'm 19 I still pull my blanket over my when I feel scared, it just makes you feel more protected, it's like thinking that the "spirit" or ghost can't see you cause they can only see blanket on the bed and not a human thus turning themself away from your bedroom/house.

I don't know;p it's a defence mechanism;D
Sometimes what I do if I feel like someone is in my room is move vigourously and cough loudly and groan, thinking that this will scare away what I feel.

Anyways, this story is well written and it did scare me alittle;p But I have to agree with Pann, it was too descriptive, don't get me wrong it was good and I'm not saying your lying, but descriptive stories are like novels - made up.

When I write my experiences on this site, I tend to write like I'm talking to YOU. So when people read my story it feels like I'm actually talking to them.
MOTHERPANN (10 stories) (77 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-09)
your story was great but it just seemed too perfect, like you were writing a descriptive story for school. I am not saying it didn't happen but when I read stories that sound like a novel it takes away from the story and makes it seem more made up. I like facts and events more so then descriptive writing that has nothing to do with the event other then to make the required amount of words for the forum.

One question to all readers, why do people pull the covers over their head? Almost every story I read, the person hides under the covers. If you are scared leave the room, you can be harmed whether you are under the covers or outside the covers, evil entities can't be stopped by a blanket!

I am not trying to be harsh to you or anyone else, just curious
As to why people write their experiences like a junior high creative writing class assignment, it makes it hard to believe a "story".

(yeah I know crabby old lady talking lol)
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-09)
Hello Ocsana. Thank you for a well written and very interesting story, I enjoyed it tremendously. It is truly a pleasure to read stories such as yours that is detailed and actually makes sense. I shall be waiting for your future stories. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-08)
Ocsana, I have to agree with Bette31. I felt like I was right there with you and your brother! That was quite scary.

Jennifer ❀
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-08)
Oscana, that was a horrific encounter you and your brother had that night. I'm happy you got out of it safe and sound but I must admit, while reading it, I feared this story would not have such a good end!

What a dreadful experience to have to go through! And that description of someone coming through the window and pacing about in your bedroom 😨, and then waking up in the morning to find "it" still there!

I guess... Thanks for sharing your experience.

Your terrified reader

😊
ohmy (22 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
Except for the "what not" part, you write like a professional writer. What a freaky incident!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
that is an amazing story! Whew, terrified me right to the bone!

I am very sorry to hear about your fathers diagnosis. I have an extremely bad back, broke it when I was 16, so I empathsize.

Can't wait to hear more!

God Bless!
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
Ocsana, once again a wonderfully told story. The detail that you provide, makes one seem that they were right there with you while this was taking place. Thank you for sharing your story and I can't wait for the next one.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: