You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Sweet Smelling Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Sweet Smelling Ghost

 

This happened to me a couple of days ago. It was in the middle of the day and being winter was also quite cold so I had all the windows and doors shut. I was walking into my kitchen and just as I was passing my pantry I was hit by this sweet floral smelling scent/perfume. I stopped walking, turned around and went back to the pantry to work out where the smell was coming from, only to find it was no longer there. One second I smelt it and the next it was gone. It wasn't a faint smell, it was quite strong, so for it to vanish as quickly as it did was very strange.

The house I live in is around 30 years old and I've been living there for 6 years with my family. This is the first time I have smelt what I believe to be a ghost.

6 months prior to this I was woken by my baby daughter early one morning wanting to be fed. Being sleep deprived I sat up in bed awake but blinking madly as my eyes didn't want to stay open. Whilst I was blinking I saw a young person (early teens) standing at the foot of our bed (on my husbands side) staring at him. When I blinked again it was gone. I didn't mention this to anyone thinking I was going mad or so sleep deprived that I was seeing things.

So when I smelt that fragrance the other day it confirmed for me that we have another resident in our home.

I have also seen things at work (a couple of years ago) and so has my eldest daughter who was only 6 months at the time. It was early in the evening and I had finished sorting out the work I was going to take home for the weekend. My husband was downstairs going through his emails and I was waiting for him with my daughter upstairs surfing the net. We were the only ones in the factory at that time.

My daughter was standing on my lap looking over my shoulder. She suddenly turned her head to the corner of the room and kept staring there. I asked her what she was looking at and turned around to see what had her attention. The expression on her face was of awe. I couldn't see anything and there was nothing in that corner of the room. But she continued to stare in that direction.

She then starts to turn her head as though she is following something across the room so she is now looking in the opposite corner. I ask her again "what are you looking at?" and just as I turn my head to look, in the corner of my eye I see this brilliant golden flash of light. When I looked directly in that direction I could see nothing. I looked back at my daughter who was still staring there but instead of a look of awe she had a big smile on her face.

She couldn't talk at the time but her reaction and her expressions said it all and I definitely saw something as well. The funny thing was I didn't feel scared.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Joanne, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-06)
There's this pastor I know who travels. But when he lays hands on & prays for people, his hands secrete a oil that spells like roses I kid you not. I think the Holy Spirit & being in that presence smells different to all of us, but always sweet.

~LSD~
ziggypants (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-06)
hi...i often smell a sweet aroma... Usually at church. The Holy Spirit has the most beautiful sweet rich scent. I truly believe your daughter saw an Angel or Jesus. Kids are so receptive to the Spiritual realm, because they are so pure and innocent. I believe God is calling you into His kingdom. Angels are there to help get to know God and His ways.

I often smell a not so good odour, like an acidic, dusty smell... I'm asking God what it is? Obviously its not of His kingdom because He alone is Good! But I do believe I am smelling it for a reason... It could be anywhere I am,...where people are really.

I'll leave you with this, God the Father is love and His love is unfailing towards those who trust in Him. I pray you will get a revelation of this unconditional love and His perfect plan for your life... Its wild and great and just for you! When you smell this again ask God the Father, Jesus the Son and the Holy Spirit to reveal themselves to you... Those who seek shall find... It will transform your life unto JOY inexplainable!
Bless You so much in Him.
Joanne (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-22)
Hi ChrisB, Thank you for your post. There are a lot of different theories to what I've seen, it's all very interesting. I'm trying to find out more information about both my house and my office building. Hopefully something might come up. Will keep you posted 😁
Joanne (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-22)
Hi Rhodes68, That makes a lot of sense. Your fantastic at explaining things. The only unusual/abnormal things that I remember happening to me were my dreams. Compared to what other people dream, mine were pretty bizarre. I used to and still do have the most vivid dreams (my mother thinks I'm strange). Some dreams were incredibly scary. I just posted Matticus about one of the scarier dreams I used to have on a regular basis. I no longer have them anymore but they were certainly strange and frightening.
I've had other weird dreams and out of body experiences but they were more fascinating than scary. So I guess that's the only abnormal thing I've experienced or at least can remember experiencing.
Thank you for your responses and helping me to better understand, I really appreciate it ❤
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-21)
Hi Joanne I realy enjoyed reading your story. To be honest it was a little scary. I believe that the spirits in this home don't know what's going on. For me I think this is a residual haunting. But I could be wrong. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-21)
I think 'sensitivity' is a quality one is born with. Many people believe that as soon as logic kicks in at a later stage in our lives, the intuitive, instinctual mind of a child gradually builds up 'defensive mechanisms' and thus loses this power! There are also these people who, either by coincidence or due to a traumatic event in their lives, cultivate this innate gift.

I would add a little something to this theory purely from personnal experience. I can now recall several incidences in my early years that were far from ordinary but that, being too young to distinguish between normal and ubnormal, I accepted them as the ways of a strange adult world. I think a child's mind is 'programmed' to quickly access the information it receives, to accept what it recognizes and ignore whatever it doesn't. A child would not ponder on a transparent figure it might perceive. On the contrary, it will go about playing or doing whatever it's doing at that particular moment 'convincing' itself that shadows and faint outlines are a tangible reality of a very complicated world. Even worse, as time goes by, these memories or the accuracy of these memories faint away making a logical and mature adult question the validity of their encounter.
Joanne (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-20)
Hi Prinsessnight, Thank you for your post. I'd like to know who the sweet smelling scent belongs to as well. I was wondering if it was one of my relatives or my husbands relatives, letting me know they are there keeping watch of me and my girls. I guess I'll never know, but it certainly was strange.
Thank you for adding my story to your favouites. Take care ❤
Joanne (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-20)
Hi rhodes68, That must have been hard hearing that from a loved one, it's not like you can help what you see. I must admit though, before I started seeing all these things, I thought other people who claimed to see ghosts were mad/crazy! But of course my opinion has changed since then, I'd still like to know why I'm suddenly sensitive to seeing and now smelling ghosts. I thought it was something you obtained from a young age/birth.
The company I work for has been in operation for more than 25 years and have occupied the same building the entire time. I don't know what it was before that but will find out this week when I see my boss. I think they have added onto the building inside so you might be right about there being another entrance to the office.
It's a shame nothing can be done for the energy that is there, sad really...
Thank you for insight and helping me to understand what it is I've been seeing.
Take care
Jo ❤
prinsessnight (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-20)
Dear Joanne, your storie is a little scary there probily is a ghost in your home I wonder what that strong sweet smell is? 😕 But your storie is great its going into my favs 😁
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-20)
Another comment:from what you're describing, it seems that the figure of the man sitting at the desk is residual energy probably left behind from an old employee at your office or whatever used to be there before. He clearly doesn't perceive your presence. If this is the case, there's very little you can do about it. Sometimes people have to learn to live with these 'energy hauntings' since they are nothing more than an 'echo' from the past.

For some reason I think the shadow coming up the stairs must also be the same type of energy. It would be interesting to know how old your building is and what its structure was initially. I bet there was a door where you see the shadow ascending.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
Oh trust me Joanne, I know what it's like to be considered crazy! I was even told once by someone I loved very dearly that I should grow up and let the fantasy world to children. He insisted on his remarks even when I saw him catching a glimpse of what I could see in the room behind him. Well, who really cares what others think when you know that what you see, you see with your very own eyes. And yet, confirmation is always welcome, I suppose.

Seems like there's a lot going on in that office so I would very much like to read any other encounters you might want to share!

It's been nice talking to you!
Welcome to our site 😊
Joanne (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
Hi rhodes68, Thank you for your post. It's only been the last 5 years that I have experienced strange happenings - my first encounter at work. The experience I had with my daughter was the most spectacular, which is why I posted it but I have had other strange things happen there.
The first time it happened (and not the last), I was sitting at my corner desk and every time I was looking at the proofs I was working on to my right I kept seeing (peripheral vision) the bust of a man sitting behind one of the other computers in the corner of the room. I could make out shoulders, neck and black hair with a definite part but no facial features (almost like it was blurred). I seriously thought I was loosing it and didn't mention what I was seeing to a soul, for fear of being labeled mad!
The funny thing was when I looked directly at it I couldn't see anything.
I decided that I no longer wanted to keep seeing it because it was freaking me out a bit so I swapped desks and was then working with my back to that corner of the room.
A couple of weeks later the girl that was sitting at my old corner desk starts laughing. I ask her "what are you laughing at?" and she said "I keep seeing someone sitting at the desk in the corner of the room". (When she said that it was like a weight had lifted off my shoulders and I knew then, that I wasn't going completely mad). I asked her to explain what it looked like at she described it exactly (to what I had seen). I then admitted that I had been seeing the same thing. So all the other work colleges thought that we were both crazy and seeing things. To the point they were putting things like white cardboard in front of the computer, moving the chair etc... But it was still there no matter what they did.
I have also seen a black figure going past the window (which is next to the entry door into the office). I just thought it was someone coming up the stairs, but when they didn't enter I went to see what they were doing on the landing and nobody was there. It was only a few months ago that I realized where the window is positioned the stairs begin so if someone was coming up the stairs they would be seen coming up at an angle, not straight across like the figure I had seen.
I let everyone at work know what I experience now, they think I'm crazy but at the same time I think they're pretty freaked out by it all. They have changed the layout of the office since then but I'm still sitting with my back to that corner. 😁
Joanne (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
Hi Francois, Thank you for your post. I haven't done any research on my home but will after this second experience. My neighbour has lived next door, virtually since the estate was built. I might ask her if she knows anything but I'm a bit hesitant to in case she thinks I'm crazy! If I find anything out I will let you know.
God bless and take care ❤
Joanne (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
Hi bruwx, thanks for your post. I'm glad it wasn't a bad smell, I'd have to sell my home! 😁
Joanne (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
Hi Pinkroses, thank you for your post. It's funny you should mention it being an angel... I had a conversation with a four year old about a year ago at my friends baby shower. I had just had my second daughter (3 weeks old) and this little girl came up to me and started asking questions about her - can she crawl etc... I answered her questions and didn't discourage her and she began telling me that she could remember being that young! I was a bit shocked by what she said and thought she had a wild imagination, but still did not discourage her.
She continued to say that she remembered being in the sky as an angel, she pointed to the night sky and said "really high up there" then she said that my daughter (the one that smiled at the golden flash) was also an angel up there with her. I thought that was very sweet but was thinking this little girls imagination was amazing! She continued by saying "then it was mummy's turn" (meaning she was to be born) "that's my mummy over there".
When she said that it sent a cold chill up my spine. What four year old says something like that? She had only met my daughter that day. Unfortunately her mother came over at that point as they were going home so our interesting conversation ended.
😁
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
Hi Joanne! I think what you're describing are two very different and unrelated encounters. For that reason I'm inclined to think that you're sensitive towards the spiritual realm as your baby daughter is.

In the first case, I don't have enough info to decide whether the boy's apparition was just a wandering spirit who accidentally dropped in for a visit or whether he was a previous tenant who was confused as to why a strange man was sleeping in his house. For that matter I can't even speculate if the perfume you smelled and the boy were the same energy although I'd dare say, I doubt it!

As for your office encounter, if that was the only time you experienced anything of that nature, it would be safe to say you encountered a friendly type of energy just passing by. Of course if there were more encounters, it might be a spirit related to the building or even the land on which your office is located.

Hope to hear more from you.
pinkroses (1 stories) (33 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
From the gold light to your daughter smiling and you not feeling scared and the scent being sweet perfume, I would say it was an angel your daughter was seeing. ❤
bruwx (2 stories) (78 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
hello,
It happened to me a couple of times when I was staying at my auntie's, the importance that the smell isn't bad, because when its foul smell its an evil prsence.

Brooke ❤
Francois (220 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-18)
Dear Joanne,

Your story is more interesting rather than frightening, truth be told. Have you done research on your house's past? Aside from the apparition, were there any other recent wierd happenings? Keep me posted and updated, if you don't mind.

Thank you for posting and sharing your story with the yourghoststories community. God bless you and take care.

Sincerely,

Francois

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: