You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: A Sweet Goodbye

Real Ghost Stories

A Sweet Goodbye

 

Perhaps I'm being overly generous with my assumptions of who this being was, but everything I'm about to type is true.

I was 17 when this happened. It was the early months of 2007. First a bit of backstory: My mom's late partner had passed away from brain cancer in the beginning of November ('06). Her and I had been very close, kindred spirits of sorts. It's simple to say her death was difficult for me. I had a hard time accepting it, and made a bit of a scene at the funeral (I had a meltdown after the eulogy and seeing her in the coffin. It was too much.)

Time passed and the pain relieved. Still I was depressed, I missed my cheesehead buddy. Things didn't feel the same around the house anymore, but I figured (and still do) that it was just getting used to the absence.

My experience is simple and short. It was late in the afternoon one day in March or possibly April. I remember it was still very cold out, but glaringly sunny. I had no blinds for my window in my room, and the window was closed, making it very warm and dry. I was laying in my bed, not sleeping, just being a lazy teenager. I was sticky with sweat, hot, but I didn't want to get up to open the window. I could hear my mom in the kitchen cooking dinner and I was thinking about how I didn't want to eat either. Laying on my stomach, my arms above my head, wrapped around my pillow, I heard a raspy whisper voice say "psst" and then call my name. But it wasn't my real name, rather a nickname that only my mom's partner had ever called me. It made me jump because the voice was *right* next to my left ear. I was too hesitant to look over, and then I felt something touch my left arm. It was a soft touch, like a finger poke. My whole forearm was chilled, and I had actual goosebumps. All the hairs were standing up. I looked and I was alone. I felt much more at peace after that:)

Thanks for reading. It's a special memory and I wanted to share it.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, virtualboy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

123angela4 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
That was a nice story I don't think the loss was trying to frighten you maybe he/she said pst then your name to let you know their still there for you ❤ ❤
Argette (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
I had a similar experience a while back, and it was so scary that I quit my job over it. It was early in the morning, and I was having a nightmare about work. My experience was disturbing; I am glad yours was comforting.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
That's an awesome story! I think you're right on the money, being that she called you a nickname that only you and her shared. She most likely wanted you to know that she is ok, and wanted you to be ok too.
virtualboy (1 stories) (18 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
jaffa- After I looked at my arm the chills started to go away, along with the feeling of someone in the room with me. I haven't had any expirience with her since then, other than the odd floor creak or cold spot. I think she's still at my moms house though, due to some things my mom has told me. It doesn't seem like she's trying to communicate however, just watching over. Thanks
mrfear672india (106 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
May be she want to say something to you about something.
Is tha first time you heard these sound?

Jaffa.
ashville (3 stories) (42 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
Great story virtualboy. I had a similar experience I wrote about. Glad you are at peace now:)
virtualboy (1 stories) (18 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
Thank you all for reading:)
And zzgranny: I know in my gut it was her. My mom has said she's felt her presense a few times since she passed, so whenever I'm there I take a moment to myself to talk to her.
BunnyPanda (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
It seems as if your mother's partner wanted you to know that she is there:)
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
Thank you for posting this, it was a really nice story. I'm sorry for your loss though.
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
Ha ha Granny you will need to keep a journal to remember to buy a journal! 😆 😆
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
Hey, granny, "specialty shops" have really great leather ones. And yes, I do think you should just jot this stuff down 😆
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
Miracles: I'm going to look on-line right now for a really nice, leather bound book... In the meantime, I think I should just jot this stuff down, eh? 😆 😆 😆
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
Hmmmm...is granny coming around? Maybe one or two more (hundred LMAO) times of "I should listen to Miracles and Rook and start keeping a journal" and she'll actually start keeping one? 😆
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
virtualboy: Seems we have something else in common 😆...Just recently, as I was laying in the same position you were, I heard a woman's/girl's voice yell "OKAY!"...The thing is, it was in my ear that was on the pillow 😆...At least I think it was "OKAY!", I should listen to Miracles and Rook and start keeping a journal 😆...

One thing that we tell people is to go with their "gut" feelings... If you feel this was a sign from your Mom's partner, then more than likely, you're correct... Thank you for posting!
againsarahan (34 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
That is a sweet story. I'm glad you were able to receive the message. Thanks for sharing it with us.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: