You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Happy House

Real Ghost Stories

The Happy House

 

I bought a 1947 farmhouse a while back. It was a fairly ordinary home but I was immediately drawn to it when I first saw it, fascinated by it for reasons I couldn't understand. From the moment I walked in the door with the realtor, I felt such a powerful sense of relief, like I had "come home" and the positive energy in the place was radiant. I wasn't alone with this feeling. I had many guests and visitors to my home after I bought it and most of them remarked on the very same qualities. Being a scientist by nature, up until that point I was a firm non-believer in ghosts or supernatural activity, having never actually experienced anything myself. That opinion changed fairly quickly, though.

My first experience in this house was actually terrifying. It was shortly after 11pm and I was not long in bed, already asleep. Suddenly I was being blasted from sleep by what sounded like a smoke detector - a horribly loud BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

For a few minutes I just lay in bed listening to the horrible noise, ears plugged, hoping it would stop by itself. It didn't. Terrified, I traced the noise to the kitchen downstairs (which actually didn't have a smoke detector). The noise was literally deafening, far louder than any smoke detector I've heard.

When I finally found the light switch and turned on the light the noise promptly stopped. I wandered around the kitchen for a bit hoping to find a toy or something that would explain the noise (so I could turn it off!) but I couldn't find anything. There was nothing electronic except my microwave which has never before demonstrated such bad behaviour.

Shaken, I decided to go back to bed upstairs. The very second I got back into bed (and I mean the very second!), there were precisely three more horrible BEEPs, then nothing more. It was like a confirmation - "Yes! I AM here!" although I refused to believe that then. I slept with my light on all night for the next two nights.

My next experience occurred only a few weeks later and this was truly the most eerie experience I've ever had in my life. It was 4am when I was woken by the sound of a very small child singing - no words, just a pretty little tune. I have three children who also sleep upstairs so at first I presumed it was one of them and for a while I just lay there listening to the little voice, enjoying it.

Before long it began to occur to me that the direction the singing was coming from was all wrong. It seemed to be coming from the attic above me, or the roof itself. I tried to explain it away by blaming the design of the house. I reasoned that one of my children must be singing and the trajectory is making it sound like it's coming from above and outside. However, I had heard my children in their rooms before and it had never sounded like it was coming from above me in my bedroom.

I briefly considered the possibility that a small child was somehow out at 4am, had walked to my remote property to sing. Of course, that is ridiculous and it still couldn't explain why the sound was coming from above. I listened to the singing for a very long time, knowing it would stop the moment I got up, trying to figure it out logically.

I finally decided to get up to check the children (and the singing did stop promptly when I got up) but all three were fast asleep. I simply couldn't explain it and I was awake for much of the night afterwards, disturbed.

There were other bizarre occurrences at this home, too, always occurring just shortly after 11pm, or 4am. I didn't usually get to bed until 11pm so I was usually wide awake for those ones.

Many, many times right after I went to bed I would hear conversations downstairs - always somewhat mechanical sounding, like they are "recordings" of conversations. But, as usual, the moment my feet touched the floor they would stop. If I didn't get out of bed, they would go on indefinitely.

One time, I heard an older woman talking on the phone downstairs, right by the bottom of the stairs. I don't actually have a phone there but there is a phonejack. Her voice was so clear to me I could almost hear what she was saying. And the sensation I got at these times was that there was definitely someone downstairs, a presence, almost like a thickness in the air.

A lot of electrical things happened, too, particularly after 11pm - toys turning on spontaneously, my computer somehow playing a sound beat which sounded like conversation, even though it was shut down for the night and there was never evidence of any video or mp3 player up and running on it when I checked the next morning. One time, again just after 11pm, my TV turned on by itself - and turned itself off right when my feet hit the floor (of course).

Several times I was woken at 4am to hear a small dog whining right at my bedroom window. Keeping in mind my bedroom is on the second floor that just didn't make any sense.

I did learn to live with these things and accepted them as being part of the energy of the home. Never once did I get the feeling there was something malevolent or hostile there but I most certainly did get the feeling that SOMETHING was there. To me, it always seemed to be benign. It was kind of like a pet cat that would get up to mischief when the lights go out. While the occurrences themselves were very strange and sometimes frightening (mainly because I wasn't in control of them and they just logically didn't make any sense), in fact, that home was a tremendous source of comfort and relief. I don't have that house anymore but I sure miss it, ghost and all.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, paperazzi, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-24)
I like people who were not believers. The story sounds more real. Like this story I believe in it. Others hear something and claim its a spirit. But that usually is not the case. Most things can be exsplained but when they can't you have to think in a different way. As you did the best thing by explaining it in a scietific way then later you got a different impression. Thanks for sharring your story with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Annie (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-22)
Great story! Thanks for sharing. It does only take a small dose of (or in your case... A large dose) other worldly experience to wake up that dormant side of the brain. Your house sounds much like mine. I have heard children's voices in the middle of the night. I've heard adults voices in the morning hushing my crying baby so I could get a few more minutes of sleep! 😁 I also know that a former owner died in my bedroom. I think it's her... Looking out for us. My children have heard her walking around upstairs. They've never been frightened. They both know that she's here as a loving, caring spirit. I've been here going on 20 years. I too got that same feeling of "coming home..." I have always felt very welcome in my little haunted house. Hope you find out more from the new owner. If you do, keep us posted!
Thank you for sharing your story. I loved it!
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-21)
Wow! Thanks for sharing this wonderful story with us!

This was a truly awesome story yet terrifying! You must have had a really bad experience. The part about the smoke alarm going off was really disturbing and weird! Even the singing part! As always, I suggest you find out the history of the house! Best of luck and keep us updated!

Biemaster
paperazzi (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-21)
Oh, I forgot to mention that the farmhouse had a rich family history. After things started happening, I asked around and learned the house had four generations live in it. The people I'd bought it from had bought it from the granddaughter a year earlier. It broke her heart to leave, I guess, but she and her family had to for work reasons. Her grandparents had built it and planted two birch trees in their childrens honour (they're massive now). I don't know if anyone died in it, though. Too scared to ask that question!

I'm going back to the same town this August on business and I'm going to work up the courage to ask the new owner if he's noticed anything odd. Wish me luck!
paperazzi (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-21)
Have pubescent children been known to create poltergeist activity? That's wild. My oldest child was only 8 at the time, though, so I doubt it was him! When I was actually writing down my experiences I was getting the chills because I simply can't explain any of it. I'd love to experience something like that again.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-20)
Hello paperazzi. Thank you for sharing your story with us, I found it very interesting. It sounds as if it was residual but it would be hard to say for sure. It is amazing what a person can get use to, it's all in having the proper mindset. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-20)
Could this all have been residual hauntings? I think that could very well be the case. On the other hand when electrical equipment is being tampered with then chances are its either poltergeist activity which can be brought on by pubescent children residing in the home or it was a resident ghost. Either way for someone with a scientific background to admit there is more to all of this than imagination is refreshing to hear.
Oglegen (6 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-20)
This is a great story! I love it! You really struck a chord with me about the "recorded conversation" that sounds like it's just being played back. I have experienced exactly this in many rooms and houses I have slept in. I wonder what it is?!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-20)
That was a fascinating story paperazzi so thank you for sharing it!

It's good to know that one begins his evaluation of certain events from a skeptical point or view since that can eliminate or narrow down, at least, most logical explanation.

I bet you believe a little bit more in the paranormal now 😊.

It's too bad for us you no longer live in that house but very good for you who had to deal with the inexplicable events late at night. Sleep deprivation and living a productive life are two weakly connected things! 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: