You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: Happy Birthday To Me

Real Ghost Stories

Happy Birthday To Me

 

I can remember the first time, 30 years ago, when I had a feeling of pure terror hit me like a freight train. It was my birthday May 18, 1980. I was outside running around with my friends, playing freeze tag, and waiting for my mom to bring out my Raggedy Ann cake.

I had just rounded the corner of our backyard and my brother was hot on my tail after I doused him with the water hose that was being used to fill up my pool (which I thought was hilarious by the way). Anyway, I felt a burning just above my belly button, and I initially thought I had been snagged by the large grapevine my mom insisted on keeping when we moved in. I looked down to see if I was bleeding and, upon further inspection, learned that I was fine and didn't need to scream bloody murder after all. I tried to walk it off, but I had this feeling of pure terror, even worse then when you break something and know full well you're going to be in BIG trouble. My head started to hurt and I began to cry. I couldn't figure out why I felt so scared, but deep down I knew something was happening. I sat there crying for a few minutes, and the feeling just subsided and I slowly felt okay again.

I didn't have time to say anything to my mom or anyone else because a few minutes later she rounded everyone up and brought out my cake, with my dad tailing behind listening to his boom box radio. Just as the chorus of happy birthday began, I again felt the same feelings I described above. I took in a breath and thought for sure I was dying, right there during my birthday party. I started to panic, and I knew I needed to tell my mom that something was wrong, but I didn't have the chance. My dad pulled my mom aside and whispered something to her, and she then told everyone to get inside and we would finish the party. I was trying to ask my mom why we had to go inside, when I heard the guy on the radio say that everyone near Mt. St Helen's was in immediate danger as the mountain had been making "noise" for a few weeks now, but it had in fact just blown. We lived north of the mountain and the news was saying that ash had been blown straight up and had fanned as it headed our way.

My dad flipped on the TV and all we could see were people trying to run through thick ash, cars covered with what looked like thick, gray snowflakes. Each time I looked at the people on TV, I could feel their terror, sorrow, anger or happiness at making it to cover. I couldn't explain it to anyone at the time, but it was almost like I was right there with them experiencing those feelings. Almost like a switched being flipped from happy, sad, relief and back again. We stood at the window and watched thin wisps of ash fall all around the yard, and as it was falling I could see people walking around out there. I asked my mom why they could be outside and we couldn't, but she told me not to be silly, there was no one out there. And as soon as they appeared in the ash, they were gone. I'm still not sure if they were ever there to begin with, but all I can say it that I saw them just as plain as day.

The day passed pretty much as uneventful as a mountain blast could make it, and everyone left for home. As I was getting ready for bed that night I began seeing flashes of things that I know I had never experienced. I was standing on the porch of a cabin, looking up at the mountain, and all of the sudden I saw the top of it blow off and I was thrown back up against the front door of the cabin by a forceful wind. As I tried to get up, I saw the ash raining down on my cabin and then the mud racing towards me. And that's as far as I ever got. In the next one, I was helping someone take their groceries out to the car, and heard what sounded like a bomb blast, followed by an earthquake. I grabbed the cart to steady myself, and looked up to see all kinds of ash raining down on me and as I tried to make my way back inside the store, I was hit by a car. I started to cry a bit, and laid down in the hopes that I could go to sleep and it would all stop. I got up in the middle of the night to get some water, and when I started back to my room, I saw a guy standing in my doorway asking for water. He was older, and dressed in overalls of some type, and a long sleeve flannel shirt.

He said his throat was dry for all the ash, and he just needed a drink until he could make his way back to his cabin. Needless to say I screamed my lungs out, for sure this old man was going to swipe me off into the night. My dad came running, and when I told him, he scolded me for waking the dead with my nonsense. I went back to bed with a sore butt, but back to bed anyway.

In the morning I awoke to see that we had a light coating of ash during night, and ran downstairs to see if we could play in it. When I came into the living room, the news was talking about a man named Harry Truman who lived in the blast zone and wouldn't leave. He was the owner and caretaker of Mount St Helen's Spirit Lake Lodge. He died that day. Then his picture flashed on the screen and I screamed and told my dad that was who I saw in our hallway last night. He yelled at me for lying, then sent me back to the bed I had just come from, to think about what lying makes me look like to others. It was a good long while before I every voiced anything I saw, to ANYONE. Not only was I scared that I would be made fun of, but how do you tell people you saw a ghost of an old man, in your hallway, on your birthday?

I will always remember that birthday, and every time someone asks my birth date, I am reminded of the events of that day, when they ask how old I was when Mt. St Helen's blew. I'm not sure why Mr. Truman came to me that day, or if it really was him that I saw.

I have a hard time being around people who are very emotional. It's almost like I experience it along with them. I see people here and there, like if I'm passing a cemetery or an older house. I can see them as they died or as they lived, and I can almost feel their emotions as I pass by. I'm unsure if they want recognition that someone sees them, or if they don't notice me at all.

We have a resident ghost at our house, my husband's father. He passed away there in his favorite easy chair, after sending everyone out to get coffee. He says it's because he didn't like being stared at in life, and he didn't want people staring at him as he died.

I do have a few select people that I share things with, and my husband knows a little also. I guess I just feel like no one can really understand what it's like, unless it happens to them.

Make no mistake, it's not at all like Ghost Whisperer. I never communicate like that with them, and have never had them try to disrupt anything, they're just there everyday.

I do hope that someday they can find the peace they need to move on, everyone deserves that much.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AppleSauce27, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ghostgirl1317 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-03)
๐Ÿ˜ฒ that's so odd ๐Ÿ˜† m so glad I'm not the only one who has experienced this. I'm so glad I read this maybe we could share some stories โค
MizMiMi02 (8 stories) (56 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-16)
Thank you for the welcome. There comes a time where you have to decide for yourself what's best, and not let others decide for you. And coming back was what was best for me. ๐Ÿ˜Š
Gargoyle (51 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-16)
MizMimi02
Welcome back!
That's strange, I was just reading your stories again earlier today!

๐Ÿ˜

Gargoyle
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-16)
Gargoyle - no problem, just glad you were able to figure it out ๐Ÿ˜Š
Gargoyle (51 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-16)
Thanks Miracles51031

I asked the question a bit prematurely.
I am blind and use a screen reader and sometimes they don't read what you want!
๐Ÿ˜•
Thanks again
๐Ÿ˜Š
Gargoyle
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-16)
Gargoyle - if you enter MizMimi02 in the search box up on the right, it will take you to a list of Your Ghost Stories with MizMimi's name.
Gargoyle (51 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-16)
MizMiMi02

I am sorry that you have gone from this site.
This account and your others make for fascinating reading. I am glad I read them but unfortunatley I didn't add the others to my favourites. I wish I had.
Does anyone know how to access MizMiMi02's other stories?

Gargoyle
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-11)
wonderful post! Thank you for sharing, I might have missed this if I had not started to read your last post and you mentioned reading the second one you added.
Im glad I looked up your posts and read this one.
It must have been so hard for you being so young and knowing your parents did not believe what your telling them.
Thankfuly for the internet you have managed to find a whole site of people that will.
A sad post but enjoyed it.
Thanks again
Carl
Now for the next 2
๐Ÿ˜Š
teafortwo1922 (3 stories) (20 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-10)
I fully agree with you discerninguser a parent should not yell at the children for being off they should confert them.
I think some parents want there children to be norimal so bad that they push hard and when child fights they get mad
discerninguser (6 stories) (82 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-06)
It is really a shame that people especially parents get angry with their children, call them liars or laugh at them when they talk about paranormal experiences.

I could never understand the mentality of such people. Even if the child was lying or having delusions, scolding beating or making fun is definitely not the solution.

Rather a responsible parent would try to understand what is really ailing the child and comfort him/her.
teafortwo1922 (3 stories) (20 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-22)
I really love your story. I understand you fully on feeling of the ghost. I am very lucky if I tell my folks about the ghost and feeling like it they embrace it and lesson to what I have to say. My mother also gets those crazy feeling as well. This why I never really did things that are bad cause when I do she knows people think I am crazy and say it is not true. I know it is true cause I can't get way with much no matter how hard I try.
My mom would tell my brother when they would see a muder talk about on TV my mom would tell my brother where the body is and he would say no way. A week later they would say where the body is.
I am like you when I go to a grave yard I see the ghost and get there feeling and how they live I like that. I don't know if they notice me all the time I know some do and they are shock I can see them and they get excided wierd. I don't have happen as offten as you do.
I also pick up on peoples feeling as well but I have to be hanging out with them offten. I also get bad feeling somthing is going to happen so on some times good.
I am going to post storys soon
loca_mocha (4 stories) (32 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-21)
Let me start by saying that a Raggidy Ann cake is SO creative! ๐Ÿ˜† I think you might be a physic or a medium from the way you talk about their feelings and how you feel like you experince what that person experinced. Good luck with your regulars โค
ILee (1 stories) (91 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-12)
Hi MizMiMi,

Thanks for sharing your incredible story! I have to point out that I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but it sounds like you have the gift as an empath. I'm not sure if you already know this or have heard of the concept. But just in case you haven't, an empath "is a person who can psychically tune in to the emotional experience of a person, place or animal. In the paranormal and in some works of science fiction and fantasy, highly developed empathy is a psychic ability to sense the emotions of others and often highly aware of the health and state of mind of their loved ones, no matter how physically near or far away the individuals may be."

This would explain why you felt the emotions of others around you. I can't imagine how that must feel. But you definitely have a powerful gift.

I googled up this website (not sure if it will help) and thought you might be interested in checking it out. Http://www.empathguide.com/

Lee
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-03-11)
MizMiMi02,
Welcome to YGS. I am struck by the vividness in your description of what occurred back then. I was living in Yrecka, California for a short time when MSH blew. Yrecka is near the border of California and Oregon. I was pregnant with my middle daughter at the time. What really stands out in my memory is the amount of ash we got. It seemed like it would never stop. Each day waking up to another frosting of ash everywhere. I remember watching the news and I do recall Harry Truman's death as well. It was eerie reading your account, I had nearly forgotten the anniversary was coming around again.
I do understand how you felt about shutting up because no one would believe you. Hopefully, with sites like this and the programs (not all of them) on TV these days, the paranormal will be less of a shock for the generations that follow. People are getting to be more accepting to the possibility that these things do occur, and they aren't just a figment of our imaginations,
Thank you for sharing and I look forward to reading about your other experiences.

Jav ๐Ÿ˜Š
Caz (342 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-03-11)
Elle0309...I have logged on just to say that I did not see anything wrong with your comment at all. In fact, I have often thought the same thing myself, after having had the odd prophetic dream! Perhaps, some people on this site just don't 'get it', though I can't understand why, as it's simple enough! Please don't let this put you off from commenting in future! Mizmimi... Loved your story! Thanks for sharing!
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-10)
Mizmimi...Oh I loved your story. I remember the blast and the plume, I could see it from my parents home in Seattle. Later that day the airport runway (I worked on the ramp there) was showered lightly with ash, planes were diverted and grounded, a Hughes Airwest flight narrowly averted disaster with an engine shutdown due to ash choked engines. Wearing a mask while on the ramp was required. It was a strange and terrifying week.
I am strangely drawn to that area to this day, I love the Gifford Pinchoe forest, there is still layers of ash under thick layers of moss to be found, lakes have beaches made of volcanic sand. I think that area is and has and has always been charged with a strange energy even before the blast. That you pick up on that energy is a gift and a blessing. Do you find yourself drawn to the area? I actually ache to go there in the summer and only feel better when I have visited. Strange but true, I'm oddly replenished when I do.
I think elle wasn't putting down the op. I think she/he stated clearly the story was enjoyed. Just making a statement he/she is frustrated that messages are given but often there is nothing we can do with them. I often wonder about that myself but am amazed that it can be given at all lol!
Anyway, thanks for the story. I haven't posted in a long time and this one brought me back.
Xx
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-09)
Thanks for all the positive feedback, and I wanted to address a few questions that were brought up. I was 8 at the time, and had never really had any "real" experience aside from seeing shadows on the stairs or hearing a few things that weren't quite right. Not living very far from MSH, we visited quite a few times both before and after the blast. I remember visiting the lodge with my parents, and don't ever recall seeing Mr Truman when I was there.
As far a finding out about the person being hit, there were 3 people hit that day, 1 being just across the street from the store.
I do the best I can with what I have. If I feel that something has come across in a way that I can clearly understand, I do share and share it immediately. But I don't ever share something if I'm not sure of what I have seen or heard. I wouldn't want to cause undue stress or panic to anyone.
I have protected things very carefully over the years, and it has taken a long time of scanning this site to get up the nerve to even post. So yes, I am being very discreet.
I enjoy visiting the mountain still, but it makes me very emotional to do so. Again, thanks for all the feedback and questions. I would be happy to share more, and look forward to hearing any more thoughts. Thanks.
ngute80 (220 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-09)
Elle0309-
I'm guessing this is the reason the op doesn't tell others about her gift and things she sees, because of comments like yours.
HappySpirit (187 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-09)
That's an amazing story, Miz, all the more so because it involved a very well known disaster we are all familiar with. I'm sorry you didn't receive more support for your perceptions when you were younger - people who cannot see these things or are frightened of them often react punatively, as did your dad. However, it sounds like you didn't shut down your abilities - I commend you for that - just became more discreet in how you shared them.
Ihaveseen99 (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-08)
I enjoyed your story have you ever though about sitting down and trying to speaking to them. I just posted my story yesterday and I'm waiting for them to put it on the site but I am having to break mine up into several parts.
Vanessanda (3 stories) (226 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-08)
Elle0309 I'm sorry about your dad but I don't understand why you are so judgemental with the OP.

Are you perhaps projecting your frustrations onto MizMimi? She was a child and didn't understand what was happening at the time it was happening.
Elle0309 (2 stories) (39 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-08)
I really enjoy stories like this. Although, it is frustrating that people are given these gifts of seeing what others can't but have no idea what the point is. Like the time my sister was in our dad's bedroom one day and saw a black mist sitting in our dad's recliner. It told her that something bad was going to happen to our dad. She didn't really say anything about that until a month later when our dad had a near fatal accident going to work. He is now disabled from the injury. What is the point? If you can't intercept and change the outcome, why tell us in the first place?
Vanessanda (3 stories) (226 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-08)
zzsgranny, thanks. I didn't realise that Harry Truman was the same man Miz was referring to when she mentioned the cabin. I think Miz is being discreet and I look forward to her opening up more.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-03-08)
Vannessanda: Unfortunately, Harry and his cabin were buried under 200 feet of mud and rock... ๐Ÿ˜ข
Vanessanda (3 stories) (226 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-08)
I understand the eruption on the morning of 1980 was of huge dimensions and the destruction massive and that the eruptions continued for some years. Scientists have learned a lot from Mt St Helen's.

May I ask how old you were at the time? Given that you have always had such experiences and the dimensions of this event, have you ever investigated "the cabin" or found out if somebody was actually hit in the car park of the supermarket? Could the voices you hear be of those who were killed at the time trying to get messages throught to somebody?

I would like to hear more of your experiences. Perhaps you could start with your father in law's.

Thanks

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: