You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: Not A Happy New Year's

Real Ghost Stories

Not A Happy New Year's

 

So, this is the story I've been waiting to post, since the submissions page has been closed for a while. I believe it may tie in with all of my previous stories but I'm not sure... Some input would be wonderful. And yeah, I should have posted this one first, it probably would've been smarter, but it's hard to share without feeling ridiculous.

It started during the week of New Year's,2008.I was in St. Helen's or staying at my friend's mom's house for a week prior to New Years as we were going to celebrate down there, and my friend and I were having a pretty good time just going to parties and hanging out with other friends.

I don't know if anyone on here's ever been to St. Helen's before, but there's a cemetery called Masonic upon the hill that overlooks the rock quarry there, and people frequent it for its high volume of paranormal activity-we were such people. Feeling brave, we went there three times during our stay; both times we were sober and we did get our fill of activity (full story in another upcoming post). Needless to say we got our thrills and by the time New Year's Eve came around we were ready to just hang out at Ally's house and relax. We played a few card games, chatted with her little sister (her mom was at work in Portland), and didn't do much of anything. That is, until the idea was brought up of Ouija boards. After some debate, we thought giving one a shot would be fun (STUPID, we know).So, I looked up how to make one at home, I drew us up a rather nice looking one, and we set the mood to start-candles, lights off, all of that.

After about 15 minutes of getting nothing we were ready to call it quits, and we would have if the planchette (which we substituted for a clear shot glass) didn't start to move. Thinking one of us was playing a joke, we asked the routine questions; what's your name, how old are you, etc. What we got wasn't very joking... A little girl was speaking to us, her name Mary. She was seven years old, and had died quite some time ago (not in the house though, as it was a newly built house). Getting a little freaked, we stopped. We closed the ceremony and tried to take our minds off of it. Not easy though, because we heard footsteps and a door slam upstairs (by that time her sister and her friend had left and we were the only ones in the house) Unnerved, we decided to take a walk around the neighbourhood. It was pretty late, so we strolled quietly.

As we walked barely speaking, I looked casually around at the houses lining the street. I stopped when the sight of what looked like an animal moving in and out of some hedges caught my eye. I asked Ally if she saw that, and she had. We stood and stared for a few seconds, trying to see what it was (foxes and raccoon frequented the area). As our eyes adjusted though, we could see it was in fact the shadow of what looked like an animal, but as it moved towards the lighted driveway it changed shape, blending away with the light. We were terrified and as calmly as we could to avoid a scene, we turned heel and started back home.

Ally stopped midway with her head down, and I asked what was wrong. All she did was grin at me with a look that is not hers-she's a sweet person I've known for a while and the look in her eyes was malicious. I asked her if she was okay, to which she responded "I'm fine. I like to be out. Do you believe in ghosts?" I knew there was something wrong then; as my best friend she knew I was into all things paranormal. I told her to stop messing around, I was cold, but her only response was a giddy little laugh... Now I know this sounds ridiculous but it's true, and the events that happened next are sort of a blur, even to this day.

The street light we were under went out; Ally seemed to go back to "normal" but complained of an extreme headache. We got to the house, and this is where it gets blurry. The bits and pieces I remember are Ally having a few more of these episodes; she reports I did the same thing... I don't remember. My memory of that night seems to have chunks missing from it, as does Ally's. We woke up the next morning with pounding headaches and the feeling of being physically spent. Ally says she remembers feeling scared and helpless, I don't remember any feeling but confusion and ominous fear when Ally would turn weird.

We talked little of that night afterwards, me only sharing it with a few people and Ally never sharing it with anyone to my knowledge. A wedge formed between us, and although we're civil today, Ally has since relocated from our hometown of Sandy to St.Helen's with her fiancé. I myself have moved to Gresham with my family. It is our belief that the spirit we contacted using the Ouija possessed us, going from one of us to the other...we're not sure. I know it must sound phony but I'll swear on my life that I'm telling the truth. All I know for sure is that there are questions about what happened that need answers, and I'm finally seeking them out.

Other hauntings by AndreaRC

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oregon

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AndreaRC, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

AndreaRC (12 stories) (31 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-01)
BadJuuJuu:
I was in a bit of a rush writing the story, it makes me nervous talking about it, so I did forget to mention how I think it ties in. See, I figured that we didn't close the door the right way like you said, and since then I've had more strange things happening to and around me then usual-enter, my other stories. All of them have happened AFTER that New Year's,and there's quite a few more stacked up that I've yet to put up on here. And while I know that the ones that happened in my mom's house can be explained by the funeral business,I've never personally experienced things at that house up and 'til New Year's happened. I don't know, it's a prety messy theory, I'm still trying to find a way to explain it better. This is all I have so far though,ha.:/
AndreaRC (12 stories) (31 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-01)
BadJuuJuu:
I was in a bit of a rush writing the story, it makes me nervous talking about it, so I forgot to mention how I think it ties in. See, I figured that we didn't close the door the right way like you said, and since then I've had more strange things happening to and around me then usual-hence my other stories. All of them have happened AFTER that New Year's,and there's quite a few more stacked up that I've yet to put up on here. And while I know that the ones that happened in my mom's house can be explained by the fueral business,I've never personally experenced things at that house up and 'til that happened. I don't know, it's a prety messy theory, and I'm still trying to find a way to explain it better, but this is all I have so far,ha.:/
intrigued09 (6 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-30)
By the sounds of it you must have gained contact with a rather nasty spirit, although whilst using your home made ouiji board did you look up how to properly use it and shut it down? If you do not shut down the board properly then it leaves the board as a doorway to the spirit which contacted you.
crf1997 (2 stories) (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-29)
That's very creepy! Ahh! I never really had an experience with ouija boards. Me and my friend always try but it never worked. Weve tried in an abandoned house, which is very scary. We also tried in a graveyard. No luck, but it was less scary than the abandoned house. Once we were in there in the kitchen door just slammed. I'm suprised we got no answers from the ouija there. But after reading your story I'm sorta glad it didn't work out. I'd be scared to death in your poisition. Just stay away from the ouija board from now.
rachie (1 stories) (65 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-28)
That is a very exhausting experience if I have ever heard one.

I have always had a facination with the Ouija but have never tried. I think of it daily with no reason. Anybody know what to advise about this? I will not use when, so please save the warnings. Just... Why is it stuck in my head?

Sorry to turn my comment into an open question.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-01-27)
One more reason for me to stay as far from Ouija boards as possible. You can never really know what's going to happen until it's happened.
You say you think this could tie in with your experiences. In what way? Do you believe this "Mary" has stayed with you? Under normal circumstances, ghosts don't possess the living. However, automatic writing is a form of possession, so it can happen. I'm speculating here, big time, but...
When you closed the board, maybe you didn't close yourselves completely and left Mary an open door. One absolute fact in the paranormal is this, if you leave a door open, something is coming through. That's my best guess on what happened to y'all that night. Sorry it isn't much.
markj7 (3 stories) (19 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-27)
Freaky! What an experience. I say stay away from the Ouija board. Home made or not,it's still opening a possible door. I am glad you seem to be "normal" now and safe. I am intersted in more stories about this occurance.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: