You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Shimmerings At The Creek

Real Ghost Stories

Shimmerings At The Creek

 

This is a strange event that took place last week whilst I was taking an early morning stroll. This experience is a first for me, as I have never seen or heard a ghost before, but I can't deny what I saw and it would be great to get some ideas on the whole thing.

The road I was walking along was just your ordinary street, a few houses, paved and with the odd tree here and there. At the end of this road is a large oval and it was in this direction I was heading. On the other side of the oval is a bush track that I like to explore early before people start to stir and basically make too much noise.

Entering the bush and with the suburban backdrop disappearing behind me, I made my way down a track that leads to a little creek. I walk slowly and quietly so I can take in my surroundings, and it was for this reason that I heard a panicky conversation taking place down at the creek. I hesitated about proceeding, but the inner hero (idiot) in me decided to just have a quick look in case there was someone in trouble.

So, ducking behind a tree that hid me from view, I looked down onto the creek and man, was I shocked by what I saw. Two young girls were having some kind of serious discussion. What was shocking was that they were definitely not human or alive or whatever.

These girls were dressed in period style dresses, I would say 1800's maybe and they were shimmering, like flickering lights. The only other way I can explain it is to say that it was like those visual messages that they had on Star Wars, when Leia comes out of RD - D2. Sorry, but that is the best I can do. Now very intrigued, I stepped further towards creek, which I have to say was a bad move, because my footsteps alerted the girls who quickly looked in my direction and then disappeared before my eyes. Excited by this event, I have returned a few more times but I am yet to see a repeat performance.

I am also looking in to the history of the area as this whole event has spiked my curiosity big time.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bushwalker, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-04)
Wow this was a very interesting story. I realy enjoyed reading your story. I believe that you got the best advice on this one and basicaly everything has been said 😁.Listen to the experts. Thats the best advice I can give. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-02)
Agree, JPing. I am pleased to be wrong on you not enjoying research. Here's to you finding many topics that seize your imagination and passion. Cheers!
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-02)
Haha, alright then. We'll just agree to disagree.

I will point out however that you are most certainly wrong about me disliking research. I love it providing it holds my interest. Though, I can't say that I find anything remotely interesting concerning the historical uses for outback creeks. 😁
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-02)
JPing, I appreciate you reiterating your previous posting, but I am very certain that I do not misunderstand you. 😉
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-01)
Kecoughtan, I believe you've misunderstood me. By all means I would encourage research into the location of a supernatural encounter. In this case however I do not believe that research would be very useful simply because bushwalker does not have anything to go on.

He does not know the details of the conversation he witnessed;

The event being played out before him did not include any violent behaviour that could be linked to a recorded event; and

Unless he specifically noted a certain detail about their dress, he is unlikely to be able to pinpoint a year (or 15-20 years) in which these girls may have lived.

Without these important details, any level of research becomes fruitless. Two girls wearing clothing suitable for somewhere within a period of 100 years down by the local creek is more then just a bit of an ambiguous research topic.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-01)
JPing, research can not only reveal crucial clues, but helps to create a contextual framework within which bushwalker might interpret this incident. Especially in the UK and Australia, historians and geneaologists have created highly detailed regional and county histories that are exceptionally useful. During research bushwalker might learn how locals used the creek (for recreation, industry, livestock, etc.), legends told about this place, or what native peoples said about this ground and waterway. Records can reveal how the land was used and who owned it, and it might be linked to some tragic event (s) that help bushwalker better understand this incident that he was fortunate enough to witness. Bushwalker might even learn specific information, for instance, that two youg girls of the owner were swept away in a flash flood while drawing water. Records do not always survive or always provide the details that we want at the time, but it short-changes them and deprives bushwalker of possible information when you oversimplify and characterize them as not leading anywhere.

And, one's level of expertise in nineteenth-century clothing is besides the point. Clothing and material culture changed dramatically thoroughout this century. Bushwalker does not have to recall every detail precisely to make use of this information. By consulting historic pattern books, photographs, and mail order catalogues, bushwalker can use general details of cut and ornamentation to narrower the clothing down to a possible 15-20 year window. Combined with details from historical research, it can be used, for instance, to determine if these might or might not be the girls swept away in the flood. Unlike cinematic depictions, there is rarely an AH-HA moment in historical research and there are often frustrating ambuguities, but people do it because it can be very helpful. While you personally may not enjoy research, I think this forum needs to provide bushwalker with as many options as possible to help make sense of this incident instead of limiting his options.
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-01)
This story should have been titled 'Hologram at the Creek'. 😆

I've never heard of a ghostly apparition described as a hologram before.

I'm not so sure about white's theory. Although interesting, the chances of your actions coniciding with another reality playing out before you are simply too improbable.

Unless you happened to catch a part of the conversation, I don't imagine research will reveal anything. You discovered that there was a settlement there around the 19th century. That's nice and all but it doesn't really lead anywhere.

I don't imagine you're an expert on 19th century fasion either so unless you've memorised clearly the EXACT style of clothes they were wearing I can't see how you'll be able to pinpoint any particular year.

Perhaps you should just continue to make regular trips down to the creek to see if you can find them again.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-31)
Thanks for the update. Please keep us posted on your visits and historic details as you uncover them. Even if you don't actually see the girls, you might try photographing the spot from various angles just to see what turns up. Your light bulb analogy created some ambuguity in my mind. Did the girls completely "blink" in and out several times before disappearing entirely or did they "flicker" like a candle flame where the light is constantly emitted, but it brightens and dims in intensity?

Since you've recently joined the group, I'll let you in on a secret: Whitebuffalo is great and always has a novel and fascinating perspective to share! 😁
skepticmaybe (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-31)
Hi all and thanks for your comments I have been away so I am sorry for the delayed response. I have been back to spot with a camera and am yet to come up with anything. I have also been to library to check on history, there was early settlement in area around the 1800's but I still digging deeper to get more on place.

I really like white buffalo's theory as that does as it put some of my reservations about whether they even knew I was there. As for the shimmering that is really the only way I can describe it. Another description I guess is that they were like a light bulb that is about to blow or go out. If anything else happens I will defiantly post it.
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-31)
Hey Bushwalker and thanks for sharing your story with us!

Wow, what an experience you had! It must have been really exciting! I can just imagine it in front of my eyes! I have a suggestion that next time you go down there, or any time, take a video camera or just a plain camera with you so that you can capture those two girls' photos. Are you sure they were "shimmering"? That just doesn't fit into the picture. Thanks and I'm waiting for your answer and your next story or stories!

Biemaster
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-31)
Hello bushwalker and thank you for your story. Wow that is too much. I never had an experience like that ever! Yes, it would be very interesting to find out the history about the area. Being that the two girls were from the 1800 period, something happened to them in that place in the early 1800s is my opinion. I would definitely check out the history on this area.

Let us know an update if you find out anything and thanks for your story... It was great! Jude 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-30)
Hmmm, as the girls quickly looked in your direction before disappearing, I would have to say that my initial thought of a residual haunt is out of the question, or is it? It is possible that it was not YOU who frightened them with your footsteps, but someone ELSE from their space in time whom you matched timing with in THEIR reality.
I think I would like to see what it is that your research uncovers. How very interesting.
Thank you.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-30)
Welcome to the site, bushwalker, and thank you for sharing your experience with us. This must have taken your breathe away to see the girls disappear. What do you know about the history of the creek and the surrounding area? Was there a settlement near the creek during the 1800s? Thanks.
xXselinaXx (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-30)
wooow respect ^-^ 😜
Could you hear anything they were talking about? And what do you think was their age?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: