You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Hotel Del Coronado

Real Ghost Stories

The Hotel Del Coronado

 

I may have been considered an adult, age wise, the first year that I was in the Navy, but I sure did not act it. I was always looking for adventure, and it really did not matter how I achieved it.

A group of people that I worked with and myself decided that we were going to spend a weekend out on the city of San Diego. We were going to sleep on the beach, eat at the bistros and forget we were in the service for two whole days. Some of our fellow enlistees and officers had been sent over to Saudi Arabia, and emotionally, we could not handle knowing that our number could be called next.

It had been a dream of mine to see the inside of The Hotel Del Coronado, since the moment that I was shocked with the news that Somewhere in Time was NOT filmed at The Grand Hotel, but here. That was the first order of business.

We walked the shore line and crossed over the invisible line that separated the "free beach" from the hotels beaches. We sauntered up to the steps and simply walked in.

I have to say that it was amusing watching some of my friends pretend to be well off financially. All of the stereotypes were into play, and we were not very considerate.

We had a hard time deciding if the Babcock and Story Bar, or the Crown Room was our favorite room. Both were exquisite. We spent most of our time out at the Village Pool, however. No one was there, and we were able to have the run of the place. Employees would walk in and out, but we were undetected as interlopers. It gave us a giddy sense of conquering a forbidden land.

The evening that we stayed there, we ate on the terrace overlooking the beach. It was a glorious view, and we were talking about the entire days events. I have to admit, I never once thought of the night's accommodations. I was having the time of my life.

As dusk hit, we took the steps back down to the beach and took a stroll. One of the members of the illegal elite stopped in his tracks and we all followed suit, eventually. He had turned back to the hotel swearing that he hear a woman's scream. We all laughed at him, telling him he was tired and what he heard was probably just someone laughing, or some such thing.

He was unconvinced, and headed back to the hotel. What else could we do but follow him? We looked at everyone strolling about, hoping to see what caused the scream that he firmly believed that he heard. We saw nothing.

So we went back inside. Back to the pool.

We were lying on the lounge chairs talking over the scream, trying to convince him that it was nothing when a young porter came up to us and explained that he did not mean to over hear, but asked about the scream. Where were we? Was it a woman? Many questions that only my friend could answer.

That was when we were made aware of the legend of Kate Morgan (one that is largely shadowed in MUCH mystery, as her identity may be confused with a Mrs. Lottie A Bernard), and her untimely death on the steps leading down to the beach. It is recorded that Miss Morgan was a woman of means only in that she had used her womanly ways to swindle many a man out of his money. It is assumed that she committed suicide as her husband, who was supposed to meet her at the hotel had run off with another woman on the train ride over.

There are many different versions of this legend roaming about. Many questions that may never be answered accompany the story as well as one that we have added. Was the scream that my friend heard the scream of a woman murdered in her prime for the sins of greed? Or was it the sound of a calling seagull in search of food?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, whitebuffalo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-01)
Ospilin sotirion kaiparadison terpnon kaifotos aidiou nefelin iparhousan tinagian Parthenon imnisomen apantes legontasto Here afti.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-01)
In the Name of The Great Spirit,
And by the power of His Blood and His Mercy,
We bind all spirits in the air, and the fire and the water,
In the ground and the underground and the nether world,
And we bind any satanic forces of nature.
We bind all curses, hexes, or spells, or any occult activity previously used.
We bind the interaction and interplay of spirits.
And we claim the protection
Of the Great Spirit
Over this house and grounds, and over every person here.
We call upon the ancestors of the land
And the company of angels to surround this place,
Making it both safe and sacred.
And we call out to you, O Great Spirit.
Come now and fill this place, never to leave!
We pray in the name of the Great Spirit, Amen.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-10)
Well, thank you, Jonesblue.
I wish it had been possible to add MORE detail, and a positive yes, or no, about this particular experience. But, I guess I missed the dance, that time around.
Someday I hope to go back (SOMEday is often times SOOO far away) and see if there may be a rerun of the sound so that I, personally, can form SOME KIND of thought about all of this. It is just difficult when YOU, yourself do not experience it.
Thank you for reading.
jonesblue (3 stories) (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-06)
great story!
I loved the specific details that you put into it!
Again, loved the story, and thankyou for commenting on mine!
jonesblue (3 stories) (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-19)
very very interesting story...

Oh and by the way I have to thank you for commenting on my story. I have answered your quetions so please go and see it. Thankyou for charing it was a very interesting story.
bnaredr3 (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-30)
Whitebuffalo, I think you described it better then me. That's the weird thing, I never felt anything strange whenever I woke up (and yes it happened for 2 weeks straight at the same time)
As you can imagine by the third day I started to get a little freaked out. Just because it was so weird to keep waking up at the same exact time. It might not be anything paranormal but I just wanted to see if anybody experienced something similar. I've never seen or heard anything in my house but sometimes when I'm turning all the lights to go to bed and have to go across my living room to get to my room. I feel like I have to run across, don't feel like I'm being chased but that I might see something I don't want to see. I try not to run and sometimes I even talk to myself so I won't feel scared but when I get to my door I just have to close it without looking back.
Also, my 3 year old son just told me yesterday that he saw a black man with a hat and he had legs but didn't have feet in our second bathroom. Then he said that he wasn't scared that the man wasn't real. So I asked him again if he really saw a man and my son said yes but he knew the man wasn't real, so I just left it at that.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-30)
bnaredr3, Hello and welcome. I will be looking forward to that story ๐Ÿ˜Š.
Let me try to see what you are asking correctly, please.
You woke, out of a "dead" sleep (sorry, I could not think of an appropriate word there) to sit bolt upright at 4:15 EVERY morning for two weeks straight?
I am missing something.
Do you recall HEARING something?
Do you remember physically FEELING anything?
Did you just simply wake straight up with an eerie feeling that something is wrong?
I would love to try a hand at helping you out, so I hope you read this and get back with me.
Thank you.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-30)
Hello again, Mike.
I have not yet been fortunate enough to get into contact with him. He is a busy man these days, and should be coming home in the next few months from over seas. His lovely wife (Hello Linnette!) promises to tell him, in due time (๐Ÿ˜Š) to get a hold of me for a "walk through the past". I will keep all who will still be interested, updated.
bnaredr3 (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-29)
Hi, I'm very new at all of this and don't really know much but what I've seen on TV and read on this site (which I love). I live in this rented house with my husband and our 3 year old. The house is only a few years old and as far as I know nothing has happened here. As for the land, I don't really know. Anyways, I have only experienced "something" once when I was 16 (which I'll post my story later, and maybe you can help understand that too). Until this day I don't know if it was something paranormal or what.
Back to what I needed help understanding, about 2 months ago I started waking up at 4:15 am (on the dot) every night for 2 weeks straight. What's strange is that I wouldn't be rolling on my bed and then wake up, but my eyes will shot open and always at the same exact time. I would look around my room and even go to my son's room to check and never found anything. I mentioned it to my husband (but no help there, he doesn't believe in the paranormal) and he said he never heard anything so it wasn't like something in my house was waking me up. Also, I'm a very heavy sleeper and my husband is not.
Has anyone experienced something like this? Maybe you guys can help me understand a bit more.
Wildone (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-29)
You are so going to think I am stalking you through these pages. I guess in essence I am.
Is it possible that the sounds of the waves, along with the sound of the sea gulls (you mentioned that you tried to convince your friend that is what he heard) could give off the hollow sound of a recorded scream?
The reason I ask is that some say that a residual sound is a bit metallic, like talking into a can, some say it sounds a bit like static. There are times when waves sound a bit like static.
As you said, you can not tell what it was that he heard. Were you able to get into contact with him to see what it was that he could describe for you, or if he remembered this at all?
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-17)
It is sad, isn't it Tammy? I found it totally inhumane that a man who supposedly loved this woman enough to give her his name, bring her into his "vocation", spend years obtaining the wealth they both so desired, should not even respond to the many newspaper articles of the time to see if that was indeed his wife.
But then again, it was a totally human (thought still very rude- for lack of a better word) response. He had rid himself of her "for good" in ignoring the fact that she actually existed.
If HE had claimed her, perhaps she would not be forced to post live out her existence roaming, and could be resting peacefully.
Such an ugly legend to such a beautiful place.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-17)
Thanks for the link Autumn-what a terrible fate for any person! I was especially saddened by the part about nobody claiming her body. No matter whether he loved her or not, to disrespect and even worse to be so indifferent to a woman or any human being even after death, is so cruel!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-16)
Howdy Chris.
After I found out (years later) that it was possible for me to hear things from what some assume is another plain, I have to say that I wondered the same thing. But, as I said before, we were busy talking and being a group of rambunctious jerks on the beach. If Kate herself had walked up at that point and initiated a conversation, I MAY have taken notice, but it is hard to tell. I was young, impulsive, and (should I admit it?!) stupid. ๐Ÿ˜†
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-16)
Hello again, Rhodes.
I looked up the legend for you, and thought I would add the link for you (and anyone else who should happen to be interested in Miss Kate) http://www.ghost-investigators.com/Stories/view_story.php?story_num=1
What is interesting is that there are those who believe that Kate Morgan, and Lottie Bernard were one in the same. Then there are those who seem to have concrete proof that they are indeed two separate persons.
TRULY the stuff legends are made of.

Tonith, the Hotel Del Coronado is virtually in the thick of San Diego, so a person would be hard pressed to locate a coyote. Now a house cat, they run around that city just as much as they do any other big city. However, I did not hear the sound that my friend did, so I could not tell you if it were similar, or possible. Thank you for the thoughts. Perhaps I will have to get into contact with him and see what he remembers.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-16)
Hi WB. You shared another great story with us. I realy enjoyed reading it. Frawin did give a good question. But maybe you werent supposed to hear the scream? Even thoe you have seen them a lot maybe this time the spirit wanted your friend to know? It is a little confusing but what isn't when we talk about the paranormal ๐Ÿ˜†?I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-16)
Great story but did you ever hear of a cat or a cayote? They can sound amazingly human. Glad you had a good time but I doubt you heard Miss Kate.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-16)
That was another great account and a very-well written one. Unfortunately I'm not aware of the particular legend but your two final guestions concerning the origins of the scream are thought provoking.

Thank you for sharing!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-15)
Hi jlee19.
Thank you for reading and enjoying my story. I appreciate all comments, so feel free to check out any of my stories.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-15)
FRAWIN, my good friend. ๐Ÿ˜Š
As far as I know, we all learned of the story of Miss Kate at the same time. As far as I know (Notice I repeated that). The reason for our being there was JUST because I had the strong urge to see the Hotel. As for the rest of them, they were just there for a good time, and knew I would take them along for the adventure.
To tell you the truth ๐Ÿ˜‰ we were talking so much that if I HAD heard it, I probably would have doubted what I heard. The place was so magical, I would have thought it was all part of the ambiance. In fact, I was the one who suggested that it was a seagull. <shrug> I am not sure.
Also, at that time in my life, I was not "listening" to my surrounding world. This story actually happened around the time of Ghost or Earthquake? So I was virtually lost on most subjects.

Nothing like a near hit, right, Bellissima? I do wish that at the time I had been silent, and walking in the rear of the group, instead of the middle as I was. Maybe THEN I may have heard something. Then again, maybe not. I was pretty young and... 'nough said there. ๐Ÿ˜†
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-15)
Hello again, Brownie09.
Legend has it that she does still haunt the hotel. As recent as September 7, of this year, Bonnie Vent (Research Medium located in San Diego, CA) has been using a new process called "Interdimensional Communication" to try to communicate with whoever it is that still stays at the Hotel. I would LOVE to sit in on one of the sessions.

Thank you again, KimSouthO, for visiting one of my pages. It would be wonderful if I were able to live that part of my life again and just pay a bit more attention to what was going on around me at the time.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-15)
I need to amend something that I have written. I am sorry for the misinformation, I wrote it quicker that I THOUGHT about it.
In the MOVIE, the hotel used WAS the Grand.
In the novel, Richard travels from 1971 to 1896 rather than 1980 to 1912, and the setting is the Hotel Del Coronado rather than the Grand Hotel.
My lovely editor pointed out the error of my printing, and to her I will be eternally grateful.
I apologize for misrepresenting the movie, as well as the novel. Please note that on the story of Mitchimakinak: Big Turtle Island, you will see an exact replica of this correction.
Thank you all for understanding.
jlee19 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-15)
Wow! What a very interesting story. I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing it... ๐Ÿ˜‰
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-15)
whitebuffalo, hi!It's been a while. I hope you're feeling more your old self these days! โค Taking care, I hope. I really enjoyed this story, as I do all of yours. FRAWIN has a good point in his comment, it's funny you didn't sense anything. Thanks for sharing another of your experiences, well maybe this is more like a near experience- kinda, sorta. Whatever the case, you write so well that it's always a pleasure to read one of your stories.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-15)
Hello Autumn: Question # 1, do you know if the man who heard the scream knew about the legend of Kate Morgan? If not, during the course of the evening did the conversations turn to the legend or paranormal happenings, you know to plant the seed in the young man's mind. The only thing that has me doubting the young man's story is the fact that you, being as sensitive to these things as you are, should heard it too but didn't.
Thank you for sharing another interesting story with us, I always enjoy them. Take care old friend and may the Great Spirit guide and protect you.

FRAWIN ๐Ÿ˜Š โค ๐Ÿ˜
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-15)
Once again, white buffalo, a wonderful and intriguing story.

Regardless of the fact that it was a real womans scream or that of a sea gull, the story is fabulous!

Thanks for taking the time to share it with us!

God Bless!
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-15)
Wow, thanks for this interesting WhiteBuffalo. Sounds like that woman is still haunting that hotel. Maybe it was that woman's scream that your friend heard, but who knows but that hotel does seem interesting.
Thanks for the story.
Vicki ๐Ÿ˜Š โค

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: