You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted Rooms In Athens Hotel

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Rooms In Athens Hotel

 

I thought that my first experience with the supernatural was everything that started happening after I began wearing my grandma's earrings (documented in my other two stories), but I've recently realized that isn't true. My first experience occurred on a trip I took a few years ago but was eclipsed by all the good memories of the trip.

My family and I took a trip to Greece with a few of our friends a couple of years ago. I was sharing a room with two of my friends and our two other friends were in a different room. I remember as soon as we walked into the hotel in Athens, my first thought was that this was a place that would be seen in a fantasy movie or depicted in a book about the supernatural.

We all went up to our rooms to get settled and came back down for dinner a little while later. Friends A,B and I briefly touched base with our parents before getting dinner. Friends C and D came down from their room a few minutes later. As they joined us at the table, they looked confused and vaguely concerned. Friend A (who seems to have uncanny intuition) asked them if something was wrong. Friend C immediately told us that she thought their room was haunted and Friend D agreed. Being a non-believer at the time, I was just kind of like "...what?" As Friends C and D continued to tell us about their experience, I still wasn't believing it, so after dinner they invited us to go see for ourselves.

I was the first to enter the room with Friend B behind me. I remember being doubtful until I stepped into the room, and it was freezing cold. Like unnaturally cold and a vastly different temperature from the hallway, just as Friends C and D had described to us. As soon as the door opened, the cold hit along with this feeling that this room was different from the rest of the place. I can't find a proper way to describe the vibes I got from it. It had an odd moist musty smell to it that Friends C and D said they couldn't find the source of despite searching thoroughly. As I walked farther into the room, I began to get a very strange feeling like I was being watched, even like I was really being studied. Friend B didn't say anything, just followed quietly behind me but looked as concerned as I was. Friend A refused to walk into the room at all.

Two nights later, in the room I was sharing with Friends A and B, I woke up to shuffling at around 2:00am (which seems to be common time for me to wake up in the middle of the night for some reason, and I now find it interesting that Friend A woke up to do the following at this time too) to find Friend A inspecting different corners of the room. She kept returning to one window in particular and making sure it was locked over and over again. I asked her what she was doing, and she said she was just paranoid someone was in the room with us. I ignored that and told her to go back to bed. She did, but a few minutes later I noticed the distinct outline of a human (I can't recall exactly if it was male or female but I'm like 95% sure it was female) hiding behind the curtain. I couldn't feel any energy from it either positive or negative which makes me question if it was actually there, however.

It wasn't just the rooms either. Every time we walked up the stairs in the lobby, I felt we were being followed. I looked over my shoulder several times, but there was never anyone there.

Other hauntings by Rachel9997

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Greece

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Rachel9997, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Rachel9997 (4 stories) (27 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-02-21)
Thanks lady-glow,

I'm not entirely sure how old the building is or what its history is, but it seemed like an old building that's been updated with the times if that makes sense. I haven't researched it, but it would probably be a good idea.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-02-21)
Hi Rachel.

Thanks for your feedback.

Have you tried researching the history of the hotel and the land where it stands?
You haven't mention if it is an old building or a modern one. Although, based on this sentence "was a place that would be seen in a fantasy movie or depicted in a book about the supernatural.', makes me think that it's an old structure, perhaps with antique furniture that may be holding the imprint of old emotions.

Anyway, I hope the rest of your trip was full of fun and good memories.
Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-02-19)
Hi again Rachel9997

We all have an innate sixth sense, not many may be aware of it but it's what generally warns us about creepy situations and danger and I think this was one of those times where the sixth sense kicked in.
Rachel9997 (4 stories) (27 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-02-19)
Hi Rajine,

No, no one really bothered to ask about the history. I think we all just kind of wound up ignoring the incident and chalking it up to our imaginations playing tricks on us. But in retrospect, it may have been a good idea to try to find out in case there was actually something there.
Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-02-19)
Hi Rachel9997

I think whatever it was is attached to that room, did anyone speak to the hotel manager or staff to find out what happened in that room?
Rachel9997 (4 stories) (27 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-02-19)
Hi lady-glow,

C and D did mention these things along with that immediate feeling that something was wrong with this particular room as opposed to the rest of the hotel, I may have inadvertently left that out. I agreed at the time that it wouldn't have been enough to claim that it was haunted but as soon as I entered, something was just off.

The AC was not running; that was one of the first things that C and D checked.
To my knowledge, they did tell their parents about the physical issues and just dismissed the odd feeling as their imaginations, though I think they did complain to the hotel about the smell and temperature as well. Since we were only in that city for three days before visiting another, they just waited until our last day.

A didn't have any solid explanation she could put into words I can only tell you what I noticed about her which was that she looked into the room once and just looked freaked out by it.

Interesting take on the time thing; you're probably right.

I think I would consider A to be sensitive. She always seems to be aware of things that the rest of us aren't, including if there is a strange presence around that the rest of us don't pick up on. It's never been anything too significant; this was the most outward sign of it.
It does seem strange that I couldn't associate any energy with the figure; I'm not really sure why which is why I said that that makes me question if it was even really there.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-02-19)
Hi Rachel.

I bet this was a very fun and memorable trip.

I have few questions about some points of your story and will appreciate your feedback.

"Friend C immediately told us that she thought their room was haunted and Friend D agreed."

Did they mention what made them think that the room was haunted, aside the temperature and the musty smell? In my opinion, these findings would have been enough to say that there was something wrong with the room, but not sufficient to be certain that it was haunted.

Was the AC running? I know that in some hotels the cleaning staff like to crank the AC to polar temperatures while they are working in the rooms.
Did your friends informe their parents about this? Did they complain to the hotel front desk about the problems?

"Friend A refused to walk into the room at all."
Did A explain why she didn't want to enter the room?

"I woke up to shuffling at around 2:00am (which seems to be common time for me to wake up in the middle of the night for some reason"

Personally, I wouldn't give this too much of a meaning on this particular night considering the fact that you were several time zones away from home and probably your body had still to adjust to the time difference. I'm not denying the possibility of something waking you up, I'm only trying to keep in mind that this could have a more logical explanation.

You describe A like having an uncanny intuition but, do you consider her to be a sensitive? Did you tell her about the figure behind the curtain?
I'm curious that you wouldn't associate any energy to this figure, but she seemed to feel threatened by something in the room.

"Every time we walked up the stairs in the lobby, I felt we were being followed."
Who knows? Perhaps a spirit fell under the spell of your youthful and cheerful group of friends.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: