You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Fred The Dead Cat

Real Ghost Stories

Fred The Dead Cat

 

This story actually takes place in several places. The first being in California. I'll begin there.

Back when I was about seven, my family was fortunate enough to get their hands on a pure bred Siamese kitten. A lovely Seal Point that loved the entire family. My brother was the one to name him. He was against all of the 'pet-like' names and decided that he should be named after Humphrey Bogart's character in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre: Fred C. Dobbs.

So Fred he became.

A few years after we had gotten him, someone in the neighborhood decided that he didn't like cats and set out some poison. Fred was strong, though. He survived, but lost his sight due to the trauma to his system.

Fred lived MANY years after the incident. In fact, he even was able to move with us to Oregon and learn our ranch-style home (and its cat-exit to the yard for... You know, cat like things). He had no problem moving around, even if I decided to move the bed and desk around my room. He was quick to adapt, even without his sight.

When I was sixteen, Fred disappeared. He was old, no doubt. Had lost most of his teeth from chewing on electrical cords (I still can't figure that one out), but was still a beloved family pet. Last we had heard, he had ridden the back bumper of my father's car when he went to work one day. A neighbor had told us he had seen the cat there, but couldn't stop my father before he was out of reach. We searched for several days in the area in an attempt to find Fred. He was never found, alive or dead. He simply disappeared.

Fast forward six or so years. After losing my father, having my mother move to the Oregon coast and finding myself (excitedly) living on my own for the first time, I had rented a small one bedroom apartment in south east Portland. I loved that place, but it was lonely. Nothing like having people around you and then suddenly finding yourself alone at night.

I had a waterbed at that time (woo hoo for being single!) and found that I wasn't really alone. Every night I could count on Fred being there. I could feel him jump onto the foot of the bed, making the tell-tale ripple across the frame, and occasionally would feel him curl up behind my knees as I tried to go to sleep. He was a great comfort, especially when I would realize that for the first time in my life, I was going to sleep alone in my own home.

Even though I'm married now and have three other cats, I'm still certain that once in a while I can feel Fred jump up onto the bed. I tell him, "Hello! Make yourself comfortable!" And sometimes he does.

Right behind my knees where he likes it.

Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by Grinder

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oregon

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Grinder, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cooperdoo (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-01)
I had received a kitten for Christmas one year, and I named him Buddy. He was my best and only friend when I was eight, but he died after 3 months. I still know he is here watching over me though ❤
Jopuppylover (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-01)
I've had a similar experiance. My cat ran away, but we found him four days before christmas dead on the side of the road. I was very sad, but I can still feel him around, like you can.
PurpleSharpie98795 (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-27)
Thats adorable! So sorry for the loss 😭 If one of my cats ever ran way or got lost I would cry! TO think if my dog disappeared! I would be totally depressed! Good luck! Maybe you should get another cat to see if it will play with Ghost Fred because sometimes cats will do that!
promghost07 (6 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
Hi Grinder,
Your Story was very touching to me. I think that Fred wanted you to know that he was going to be with you always, no matter what happened. I had a cat named Trixie since I was 3. She ran away some time ago because of having to many cats and being attacked by my other missing cat,Edna, and I was heartbroken. Every day I hope Trixie would come back, but I'm sure she passed. I now have a couple more cats to keep me happy, especially my baby boy Mr.Whiskers. Thank you for sharing your story of Fred.

God Bless.

Promghost07. 😉
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
Hello Grinder. The good thing about having a ghost cat around is they're not frightening- they act just like a cat. Thank you for sharing your story with us, I really enjoyed it. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
Grinder (5 stories) (22 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
Wow. So many comments! I'm not sure how to respond to all of them...

Yep, I'm familier with the 'Guard Cat' stance Siamese have. I love the lore, sitting high on pedistals just inside entryways, ready to pounch on any intruder. Lol

I'm also curious about his 'disappearance'. He did just that. He was old at the time, maybe knew he didn't have a lot of time left and didn't want to hurt the family. He was one hell of a smart cat - I swear he was a human in a cat's body, and one day he knew it was the end. Instead of hurting us by finding him in 'final repose', he decided to hop the first car out, so to speak.

I know that dogs can be just as protective of their masters, but I know in my heart that Fred had that protective streak as well. Nothing against dog owners, but I once saw Fred fight off a dog (while he was blind) that had tried to enter our house one day. I cheered when he won and the dog went yipping away. He was FIERCE I tell ya! Lol

Thanks for the comments, all and everyone. Most of my other experiences are rather bland, but I'll still share them, little by little.
Hullabulu (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
I'm sorry about your loss. What I think ws so horrible was that a neighbour poisoned your cat. 😐
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
Hi Grinder! Thanks for such a beautiful story!

I'm sorry for your loss but life goes on... Its weird that Fred suddenly disappeared. I don't have any pets so I really don't know how much it hurts because it must be like a family member going away. Anyway, its good to hear that Fred is still with you and makes you know that too. Very nice story and I hope to hearing more from you!

Biemaster
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
Very interesting story Grinder. I realy enjoyed reading this one. I believe that Fred loved you all but when to be with you most. I guess that is why he decided to come for a visit. Thanks for sharring.I* hope to hear from you soon and take care
laus (3 stories) (26 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
awww that is sucha beautiful story, my cat is like my baby and I don't know what I would so if I lost her, shes part of the family. Thanks for sharing! 😊 xx
Maxie5 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
aww that's so sweet! I hope my cats do that when I'm older! You know when they pass on
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
Hi Grinder
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! I am all smiles sitting here at my desk. You Fred is like my little sweetie Inka. She is the most adorable and loving Cat. I would not be without her. It is amazing the bond that is formed. Grinder I really enjoy your stories. Look forward to reading more.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
Hello again Grinder. If you were referring to me when explaining how long ago Fred died, I know it was long ago. I was talking about his spirit coming back 'home' not the actual cat. By the way, my cat was also Siamese-isn't that position they always sit in one of its kind?! In Ancient Siam they were highly respected and were used to guard the temples. Only Royalty were allowed to have such cats. If anyone else was caught in possession of one, they were brought to justice and executed!

Thanks
Grinder (5 stories) (22 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
Thank you all for the comments! Fred disappeared - wow - almost 30 years ago. I'd like to think he's still alive, but chances are he's not. I'm convinced he's more spirit than flesh at the moment.

Fred was the most incredible pet anyone could ask for. He really did think he was human, even to the point of sitting in my dad's chair when it wasn't occupied. Not laying, relaxing or whatever - he really did sit in the chair like he was a person. In the stereotypical Siamese Cat position (at attention, I call it). He used to crawl under the covers and use my arm as his pillow as we went to sleep.

I think my brother was jealous because Fred spent most of his time with me. Lol

At any rate, I do miss him. Though the cats I have now are great in their own respects, there'll never be another Fred.

Thanks again for the comments!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
Heart-breaking Grinder! I will skip the comment about your neighbor out of respect fot the site. I have a tender spot for cats and ever since my cat died, I haven't been able to be anything more than a surrogate-too painful still! I find them homes as soon as they grow strong and healthy.

I'm happy Fred has finally found his way back home with you. It's pretty obvious that the love you too shared was strong enough to make him come back to visit.

Thank you for the memories you brought back!
myst3ri0usn0is3 (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
your cat souns so cute! Sorry for your loss. But mabey fred is not dead yet. Believe it or not, you be the judge. High hopes for your other cats!
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
Hi Grinder. I loved your story. Poor Fred. Animals always seem to find their way home... Thank you for sharing it. This story brought tears to my eyes 😢 and laughter too. Thanks for sharing and this will be put into my favourites. Jude 😊
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
I love cats expect I am a cat lover and I hate to seen it hurt even that person who poison cat that is cruel anyway it was good to see that you notice your cat is back and sleep with you it was really nice.
Natashaax143 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
Wow, what a nice story! I believe that pets love their owners so much that the always want to stay with you, well I bet Fred loved you so much he didn't want to leave you. Great Story! 😊
Bella101 (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
I just read your story.
I have cats of my own who I love. My cat had died under weird circumstances because he may of been poisoned but your cat was strong and fought past it =]
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
Thank you for the beautiful story! To me my pets are more like family, I know some people say it is weird, but I don't. It never hurts to keep your pets around even after they are gone. Thanks for sharing 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
What a beautiful and heart felt story! Pets often know us and our needs better than we do ourselves.

Thanks so much for sharing your tribute regarding Fred with all of us!

God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: