You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: In The Beginning

Real Ghost Stories

In The Beginning

 

This was originally going to be my second post, but I thought that maybe it would be best to share my very first (known) experience with the unknown before moving on with some of the additional stories I have to tell.

Back in 1981 I was eighteen, do the math. It was the year my father died. It weighed very heavily on the entire family since even his father and mother out-lived him, by only a few months, but still...

About nine months after he passed away, I had this experience that I consider my very first paranormal visit.

I awoke one night (I was nineteen by this time) in a heavy sweat. I pulled off my tee shirt, tossed it to the foot of my bed and noticed that someone was in the living room of the home that my mom and I still shared. I could see down the hall a shadow that kept pacing back and forth. I got up to investigate.

I entered the living room to find my mom sitting on our couch and, strangely enough, my dad, seemingly in an anxious mood, walking from one end of the room to the other. He didn't look at me until I sat on the couch with my mom. But even then, it was just a quick look, one almost of worry, and then he continued pacing. Back and forth, back and forth. He wasn't saying anything.

I noticed he kept reaching up to a gauze patch that was on his forehead above his left eye, almost like it itched. He never had any kind of trauma to his head so I couldn't understand why he had this sterile bandage on his forehead. (He died of Hodgkin's Disease - Lymph node cancer).

I looked at my mom - she looked at me, and I said to my dad... "Dad? Why are you here?"

He stopped pacing, looked at me and said, "I have a lot of things to finish..."

I 'woke up' then, in bed, finding my tee shirt at the foot of my bed where I had thrown it 'in my sleep'. I rushed to the room where my mom was sleeping and told her of the dream I had. Was she there too? Had she seen her husband? My father?

She looked away like she didn't want to talk about it and said she hadn't. She never explained why she didn't want to continue the conversation at that point. She just didn't want to go further with the discussion.

About a year later (math would indicate I'm twenty at this point), I'm involved in a semi-serious automobile accident. I spend the night in the hospital, and a surgeon is called in to remove glass from my head and sew me up.

You guessed it. The glass was lodged in my forehead, over my left eye. I wore a gauze bandage to cover it for several months as it healed. And to this day, some twenty-five years later, it still itches from time to time.

Nothing to explain, nothing to analyze. It DID begin a series of events that has made me wake up to the fact that there's more out there than we really see, and I've been open to seeing it all when they happen.

And when my scar itches, I know it's my dad thinking about me.

Thanks for listening... I'll add more stories as I can.

Other hauntings by Grinder

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oregon

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Grinder, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

CharyWithThePoltergeists (3 stories) (61 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-30)
I think that whitebuffalo is right. Sorry for your loss and thanks for sharing!
Luca (1 stories) (83 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-21)
This is wonderful Grinder, your dad was totally there with you and your mom. I'd bet anything you interrupted your mom and dad while having a conversation/interaction. Totally fascinating, this story is now one of my favorites.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
What an interesting story, thank you Grinder.
I would suggest to you that your Mother never lied about this experience. SHE was not dreaming, only YOU were in the dream state. What SHE was experiencing was a very real, one-on-one visitation from the Other Side. And the reason there were no words exchanged, were as YOU were not meant to hear the exchange.
I know you said "Nothing to explain, nothing to analyze...", But I just could not leave out my thoughts, as this has happened in my home.
Thank you.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-23)
Welcome Grinder-nice to have you with us!

I enjoyed your story greatly but most of all I wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss.

Any loving and caring father would refuse to accept the idea of death not simply for egotistical reasons but mainly because he wouldn't want to leave his family behind 'unprotected'. My own father and I have had a discussion recently during which I asked him if he fears death (he's healthy and strong so it was a philosophical discussion). I was surprised by his response as he said what he feared mostly was that death would take him away from us and that he's terrified by the idea that he won't be able to protect us. Now mind you I'm 40 while my brother is 34.

What I'm trying to say here and it's pretty obvious I guess is that your father was there at home with his family that day-he let you see him to reassure you that he still exists, that his death was not the end of his existence and that he'll always try to provide for you in any way possible.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-22)
Hi Grinder and thank you for sharring this story with us. First of all I'm am very sorry that your father passed away. Even though it was many years ago it is always said to hear of a close person who had to cross onto the other side. I believe that the dream was ment for the same reason you think it was ment. Although the scar itches it is a good feeling to know that your father is thinking about you. Thanks for sharring and I'm looking forward to your other stories. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-22)
Grinder,
What an amazing story, I really enjoyed reading it. I would definitely agree with Frawin "that maybe you walked into your mother's dream/vision". I really look forward to reading more of your posts.
Grinder (5 stories) (22 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-22)
Thank you all again for the nice comments. I have to admit, I didn't think about the possibility of walking in in the midde of an ongoing conversation, let alone the possibility that it was a dream (or spirit-contact) my mother was having and not one of my own.

I suppose my dad had asked my mom not to divulge certain information about them, which is why she'd talk about paranormal things, but not this one in particlar, in case it made her break her final promise with her husband. What that information might have been is now forever scattered with their ashes.

I'm greatful for your comments and insights. Please continue if you wish...
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-22)
Hello Grinder. Thank you for writing such a wonderful story. It is fascinating to me when this kind of paranormal activity happens. Its as if you walked into your mother's dream and your father was trying to tell you something. Um, I have premonitions/precognitions where I dream of a person close to me and 100% of the time, something happens to that person. But I usually don't know what the dreams mean until it is too late.
You definitely are gifted. I am sorry for your loss and hope to hear more stories from you in the future. For your first story, it sure was interesting. Take care of yourself, Jude 😊
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-21)
Hello Grinder. That was quite an experience. To experience the "paranormal" on both sides of the veil is something else. It would seem that you walked into your mother's dream/vision- maybe that was why she didn't want to talk about it. Just a thought. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-21)
That was a great story, Now you know why your dad had that guaze on his forehead. Good story Please post some more. 😊
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-21)
Grinder--Thanks for a seldom-discussed dimension on the spirit-to-human interaction. Besides the payoff of the matching wounds, I do find it curious your mother, the one interested in the paranormal, refused to speak of it to you. Perhaps they had indeed been having a very private conversation about themselves which you interrupted, which prompted your late father to say what he did and not "Let this be a warning to you, son..." Soooo many things are possible in this world and the next, eh? We look forward to your next tale.
Grinder (5 stories) (22 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-21)
Thanks for the comments! And yes, Tonith, it does sound like my dad knew what was going to happen. Perhaps I had woken up before he could give me more details - I don't know. My mom lived for another 14 years after my father died, and though I asked her about the incident a couple of times later, she never did want to talk about it. That's kind of odd, because she was the one in the family that was really into paranormal activity.

During most of my experiences (maybe 80% or so) I've never felt fear. Maybe an 'unease', but nothing like fright. I've only been afraid when I'm with someone else and things happen. I think it's the empathy side of me that makes me pick up on the other person's feelings, and I feel what they're feeling.

Thanks again!
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-21)
Sounds like your dad knew you would be having that accident. He was concerned but apparently knew you would be ok. Maybe your mother had sensed him as well but wasn't able to deal with it. I would like to think those that go on before us can and do at time communicate with us. The trick is not to be afraid. I think fear blocks spirit contact which is why it seems that in the dream state we are more receptive and they are able to get through to us on some level. I agree with you totally that there is more to this existence than meets the eye.
laus (3 stories) (26 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-21)
woah that's such a great story, thanks for sharing! I can't wait to hear more 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: