You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Christmas Spirit

Real Ghost Stories

A Christmas Spirit

 

This happened about 10 years ago in my townhome in Marlton, N.J. For whatever reason, around Christmas time, my home would have more activity than the rest of the year. And apparently, it still is, as my mother still lives there and still mentions this.

Well, it was late at night and I was home from college and Christmas had just come and gone. My brother and I shared a bedroom on the second floor and we were playing some video games. And then we heard the footsteps on the stairs.

Now, after living in that townhome for a good number of years, my family and I could tell who was going up the stairs just by the weight of the person's body and how they walked. But as you have already guessed by now, it wasn't any family member and we heard it perfectly behind our closed door.

Then we heard the footsteps walk to our bedroom door and we heard the floor creaking, as if someone was standing still but were adjusting their weight from one foot to the next.

Then we saw and heard our doorknob turned and it opened slowly, with no one there!

Of course my older, stronger brother made me go out of our room to see who or what was there, but it was no use. We knew no one was there and there wasn't. Our mother was already asleep upstairs, down the hall from us and our high school-aged sister at the time was next door and she was asleep with her door closed.

Neither is likely to play tricks and if they did, they wouldn't have had the time to hide the slip second after the door opened without being seen or heard.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Timesobserver, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Phantom380 (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-15)
Oh my gosh! You live in Marlton? I live in Tabernacle, New Jersey!
Timesobserver (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-15)
JamesRobiscoe, thanks for stopping by my blogs. I hope you enjoyed them.

Why did my brother make me investigate? Probably because he didn't want to get up. But you know, it never occurred to me to ask the spirit a few questions or wish it a Season's Greetings. I wish I had now.

We have tried recording devices before, but got nothing. Of course, sadly, it seems most spirits don't perform when you want them too.

The Unknown, I'm quite sure it was Christmas time. I was home from college at the time and I was playing a new video game that my brother gave me. While there is some activity around the year, it's usually during the holidays that it increases.

And I certainly have no intentions of making a happy spirit mad. And I don't believe I said anything that the spirit did anything bad or mean. He or she didn't do anything that I would say was bad or evil.
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-15)
Must be some spirit visiting. Are you sure about the time when the Chrismas spirit visited?

Please don't make the happy spirit angry, I don't like to hear you saying that the spirit did something bad.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-14)
TimesObserver--Well, you can rule out Marley's Ghost. Why should your brother know (see?) more about the spirit (s) and yet make you investigate? To learn if you can testify to more, too? Apparently, none in your family is particularly frightened by the occasional phenomena.
If the visitor is a departed family member come to share the holiday, could you perhaps pose some questions or declaim some good wishes this coming season?
Have you ever considered getting recording equipment to have on hand to catch some evidence?
By the way, I like your website, hope you get rid of the Spam trouble-makers, but keep up the Burns My Bacon column. Darned good!
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-14)
Yes, Christmas time is a very spiritual time and generates many emotions. I think this is why there is so much paranormal activity around the holidays.
Timesobserver (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-14)
ChrisB, I never thought of it like that, but you might be right. I never realized that because Christmas generates such feelings that it could lead to more activity from spirits.

Rhodes68, I would say that my mother's home isn't a residual haunting based on other stories and experiences from other family members, especially from my brother. He seems to be able to witness more.

But based on other experiences, I would say there is more than one spirit in the house. My brother once saw our dead grandfather in our house and my brother and mother both heard a baby crying in our living room one night, when not only was there no baby in the house, but in any of the joining homes in our townhome. We later learned that our home was built under an Indian camp.

Actually, Punkyxxmoi, when that doorknob turned by itself and the door open with no one there, I wasn't really afraid, but more stunned by disbelief. I just couldn't believe it happened. But don't get me wrong; I'm quite the scaredy cat, as my wife will be more than happy to admit to. 😉

Thank you all for commenting and I hope you all enjoyed one of the few, true ghostly encounters that I had.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-14)
Now that msut have been scary. I was quite surprised that the activity happens more often at Chritmas then on other times of the year. I'm not going to say its Santa but I believe you would like this to be the answer. I realy think that emotions play a big role on the amount of activity someone has. During christma there are a lot of different emotion s and to that the house is decorated. Spirits are seen more often when there are some changes in the house. Maybe this is the key. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-14)
Hello Timeobserver (I like your name!) and thank you for sharing your experience with us.

I know exactly what you mean by being able to tell which member of the family it was by the sound of footsteps so there's no need to explain any further. You mentioned that the activity was ongoing but mostly noticed around Christmas so I have to assume that wasn't your only encounter with this energy. Had it ever attempted more direct contact or was it just residual? Do you believe it was only one spirit or more?

I'll be looking forward to more stories from you.
punkyXXmoi (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-13)
this story is pretty scary that the doorknob turn by itself! But thanks for sharing that story anyway! [bah]

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: