You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Psychic / Medium :: A Haunted House Story

Real Ghost Stories

A Haunted House Story

 

As a young girl, we moved around quite a bit. Eventually, we moved away from the tropics, and headed to California. When we first moved to the United States, from the Canal Zone-it was strange to see how close together the homes were built.

We moved into a new development called Santee lakes, and the new homes were surrounded by older neighborhoods. I loved the house in our neighborhood, as we overlooked a huge canyon. At night time, we would sit outside and stare into the blackness. Being that there were no lights to block out the stars in the night sky, we saw every single falling star. It felt magical sitting there under a star filled sky.

It happened when I was 6 years old. The apparition came at me in the dark of the night. My Parents hadn't come outside yet, and Mother was cleaning up the kitchen after dinner. Dad was overseeing my brother and sisters, and I had sneaked outside. It always felt better to be outside, I don't know why, it just did. A big family has lots of chaos, and mine was big and loud. Dad was always singing, and somebody was always calling out. It never seemed to be quiet in my home.

Sitting outside, I was relieved no one had noticed I was missing. It felt so nice to be the dark, in the solitude, even if it was just for a few minutes. I wandered over to the edge of our yard, and I looked down into the vast valley. There were always things moving around down there, but I always assumed it was animals. There were rabbits and squirrels around, and lots of birds.

I saw the face floating above a grove of small trees. The trees were around a quarter mile below, and I thought it was an owl, at first. It floated toward me, and I could see the beginnings of a neck, an arm, and hips. The Ghost was dressed in a flowing, pale blue gown. I saw that she had a cotton hat with lace around the edges. It tied into a bow under her chin.

As the apparition grew closer, I saw she was a little girl. Maybe a bit older than myself. She smiled at me as she floated right past. I remember being frozen to the spot. She went into my house, and was gone from sight in a minute. I waited for a minute or two, but she didn't come back. Running into the house, I looked for her. Normal stuff was still going on, and no one had seen her, I guessed. I didn't say a word to anyone, but my Dad asked me who I was looking for. I didn't answer him as I pulled open closet doors, and ran through all the bedrooms.

When I was convinced she wasn't hiding, I gave up my search. Everybody started to go outside, and I was the last one out the door. I was determined to find the girl. She didn't reappear until my bedtime. I saw her playing with some of my toys on the floor. I sat up in bed, and she faded away. We only lived in this house for a couple years, but the ghost showed herself to me at least once a week. She traveled from the valley to my house almost weekly. I wondered if she was buried there.

I was looking through the history books one day, and I saw a picture of children dressed and running alongside wagon trains. You know, back in the prairie days of old. When people headed west. Maybe this little girl was from this era? I will never know. I went up to the area a few years back, and the whole area was overdeveloped. Homes now filled the valley, and our old home looked so different.

I hoped and prayed she was at rest now. Who knows, maybe she still haunts the old house?

Blessings, Ghostseer

Other hauntings by ghostseer

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ghostseer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

melikas (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-07)
The girl most likely lost her life in the valley. Children who were migrating with their families in those days died during the trip of sickness and sometimes they were accidently runover by the wagons that carried family members. She connected to your family because of the you and the kids and the toys. When you are dead and "waiting" around for something to happen, anybody your age is a welcome sight to hang around.
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-21)
ToraOkami303: I pray she has found peace too! I never understand why they come to their old haunts...Blessings, Ghostseer
ToraOkami303 (1 stories) (75 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-21)
i really hope this girl found peace... I mean does she even know she's dead? Really poor girl... She could be with her family...*sigh*

~Tora~
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-13)
I don't know, but I would think she is still around...Blessings, Ghostseer
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-13)
Ghosts of the past will always come back to visit the living, especially their favorite places and their loved ones.

This ones too peaceful, so let her rest in her favorite valley behind that house of yours.

Question: Is the spirit girl still there?
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-12)
dreamergal72: Thankyou for your comments. I wish I knew how the girl died, but there is no way to find out. Thanks for adding this as your favorite story to date. I am just waiting for this website to publish the other stories. They will be online soon...Blessings, Ghostseer
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-12)
Also one things I will put this one as my favorite cause the way you say praire time hat the girl wear that my favorite right now my grandma still make that 😁 and I did try on and think I am mary ingall or laura ingall. I love that show my favorite show I watch them every morning. Thanks... Your story is my favorite now. Please keep it up with another story.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-12)
You mean like those charartette of the little house on the praire hat the girls wear in those old days I know what you talk about and yeah she may had been from like 1700-1800 it don't seem scary to me sound like she is harmless and lonley to me want to smile at you when she saw you and came and play with your toys sound like a good girl you know they didn't have a doctor back then that may had how she died some sickness way when when no doctor but only one like country doctor.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: