You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Knocking On The Window

Real Ghost Stories

Knocking On The Window

 

I think this occurred shortly before I saw that "white blur" (a posting I submitted not long ago) also in the house in which I grew up; my parents still live there.

So I need to set this up first:

During the day, if you stand in font of the kitchen sink, you see the exterior of a bedroom on the right extending about 20 feet. On the left there is a smaller room which extends about 10 feet.

So that sort of forms a little alcove in front of the kitchen window. The space is wide enough for the washer & dryer to fit side by side.

One night I was at the kitchen table facing the window. I was making a sandwich so I was looking down. I then heard footsteps outside walking up to the window. Immediately I thought it was extremely odd that I only heard the footsteps only in the area of the alcove but not before that. Especially because the footsteps were of a hard heel; they were loud. I looked up and I saw something white go across the window.

OK it just dawned on me that this was also something white.

Well then they knocked on the window but I didn't see anything at all (like someone's hand/arm).

I thought it may have been my brother trying to spook me. I ran to his bedroom and he was sleeping like a log. He is not the kind to hold a straight face while playing a joke, which he rarely did anyway. And I just knew it was not him.

I went back to the kitchen dismissing it. But a minute later I realized that no one is able to walk up to the window because of the washer & dryer! They sat about a foot away from the window/wall, so who knows how they got across the machines to knock. I think I lost my appetite and left my sandwich there.

So that's that. I can't say for sure it was totally unexplainable. Maybe it was a neighbor trying to be playful? Who knows? But that's why I didn't consider this little event to be too "interesting."

The other stuff that happened on the house was glassware breaking for

No reason, which nobody ever witnessed. The 1 other thing, which no one saw either, was a clock falling from the wall. It had a very sturdy hook facing up; the clock had to be picked up and out of the hook to fall. We checked the hook and it was still facing up and sturdy as ever.

Other hauntings by sherrera1980

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sherrera1980, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-15)
I guess I assumed you were a teenager at the time this happened. Were you? Just wondering because I mentioned the kinetic energy from a teenager thing. Just trying to find out possibilities of what could have happened or could have been the reason for you to experience this or these things you experienced. A lot of times, or most times, you will never figure out the reason for these things happening. They just happen.

SHELBY
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-15)
If the washer and dryer WERE going at the time you heard the knock, it IS possible that the noise came from that. Also, from what I understand, the washer and dryer are up against the wall where the window is and in an enclosed area. That would account for only hearing the sounds from in that area only. As for the white thing you saw, I guess I would need more detailed info. Was the white thing in the shape of a human, or see through, etc. I have experienced the knocking on the window but didn't see a hand and there also was no evidence of a prowler, according to the police. But this night I didn't only have the knocking on the window but all over the house for about three hours. At first, I was trying to think of logical explanations but there really was'nt any. Then I started to think paranormal. I also thought that maybe it was my fifteen year olds kinetic energy. Teenagers, especially teenage girls, are very emotional at this time in their life.

SHELBY ❤ 😊
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-12)
I was wondering about the same thing as Tonith. Were they on at the time you heard the footsteps and the knocking on the window?

That of course could not account for the rest of the sounds in the house let alone that the clock falling to the ground when the hook's still in place is a bit too coincidental.

I'm still not able to tell if this is poltergeist or someone craving for attention. Maybe an additional account of events if there are any would have helped.

Thank you.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-11)
Forgive me, I tend to be a bit slow at times but is this washer and dryer outside? Or outside but enclosed in this alcove? This would create a place for sound to bounce off walls and be deceiving as to exactly where its coming from. The rest of the incidences could be a result of kinetic energy which is common in teens and is usually chalked up to poltergeist activity when it's not. Since you kids moved out do your parents ever have any strange things happen?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: