You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: Man Of Murray Hill

Real Ghost Stories

Man Of Murray Hill

 

This is an experience that happened to me when I was eleven years old. Although I might have been young, I am positive of what happened that night. It was real.

I was living in a two-story house on Murray Hill Dr. That actually much resembled a barn. Down stairs is where the kitchen, dining room, and my Two little brothers and my parent's room lay. Upstairs there were only two rooms, my sister's and my room, which was connected by a hallway. An old man and his wife had owned this house for many years, before their lives were ended unexpectedly in a car crash. So my sister and I being very Superstitious did not like the house when we bought it about two years prior. The house sat off a small road and behind my house lay about 5 acres of woods.

It was about 9:00 pm and I was just about ready for bed. I decided to take a look outside to see if any stars were out. I opened my curtains and glanced out the window. I realized it was totally black except for two ovals that seemed to reflect light. I realized I was staring directly at a face in my window. I gasped only to realize it was my cat tunsis, or tuni as we liked to call him. I opened my window to let him in and muttered some profanities under my breath. Now my adrenaline was flowing vigorously and I was on edge. As I closed the window the motion sensor lights came on from the back. I quickly scanned the back fence, at first I saw nothing, and I went back to shutting the window. Suddenly something caught my eye; it was man standing in the woods. He was hard to make out, dressed in dark clothing and nothing of his face visible to me. Just as soon as he had appeared, he ran into the darkness and disappeared.

By now, being eleven and being very scared of anything relating to ghosts, I was absolutely jumpy. I walked to my dresser trying to occupy my mind with trivial things. I pulled out my clothes that I would wear tomorrow. When the front of my bottom drawer fell off and landed on my foot, which to me felt like a hand grabbing my foot. I screamed in horror and bolted down the hallway into my sister's room. She screamed also because she was also easily scared. I told her what happened and she told me that the dresser drawer had been old and loose therefore it had fallen off. I was not convinced, I was certain that a spirit had made it fall off. Whether this was true or just coincidence I'm not sure, but I decided to tell myself it was coincidence. I got in bed sometime around 9:45, and sometime later fell asleep.

I slept about a good two hours before I was woken up. It was whispering that I heard, and it came from the corner of my bedroom. The same corner my window was. Petrified I peeked over my blankets and the curtain swooshed up, like a woman's dress when dancing. It slowly died down and in its place stood a figure, the man from the woods! I remained silent and didn't move. My head still lay resting on my pillow, and I closed my eyes tight, thinking I was just imagining it. I glanced over at my clock to see what time it was. In my mind for some reason as long as it was past 12:00am, I was safe. To my dismay it was 11:56pm. Then again it whispered and I went numb as a chill ran through me. I soon began to understand I was not imagining it. I glanced up and he was still there unmoving like a coat in a closet. The door was closer to him than it was to me so there was no running. Finally in desperation I said a prayer, thinking maybe he was a demon of some sorts. As I said my prayer he began to make movement on the wall near the window. He finished and he whispered once more; I blanked out from fear.

I awoke to my Mother calling me to get up for school. At once I remembered and my eyes darted to the corner of my room. He was gone; I cautiously walked over to the corner of the room to inspect it. Nothing seemed different except a symbol on the wall. In some kind of black ink there stood a symbol resembling a snake. That I never bothered to touch and it still remains there to this day.

I have never since seen the Man of Murray Hill and hopefully never will again.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, rideenjoi24, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-08)
You have a flare for the dramatic. Keep writing - you tell a great tale.
soundofwhite (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-01)
are you sure it wasn't someone breaking into your house? Lol. That would of been my first thought eek
ghostgirlontheloose (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-25)
wow, spooky. Did you ever wonder if the symbol was there before. Maybe it was, and you never noticed it. I would search the symbol on google. Maybe you will find an answer. Good luck for now

Xoxo,
Hannah ❤
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-24)
Could this be what is known as a shadow person? I don't know if they are known to make sounds (the whispering) but I do know they will show up darker than the darkness surrounding it.
ghostgirl445 (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-24)
WOW! Scary experince. But I have to agree with hobbyholly I don't think that whatever this guy was didn't mean any harm. I think that he was scared of you, like you were scared of him...

Blessings,
Ghostgirl445
scaryboy (2 stories) (117 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-24)
well how did you spend the entire night and how could you actually say it was the same it is something related to fiction which is not allowed here cockandbull story huh?
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-23)
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, how were you able to fall back to sleep with a man in your room and being terrified? How were you certain it was the man from the woods when you stated you could not make out any of the features?

God Bless!
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-23)
Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm also interested to see if you can take a picture of that symbol and send it to us. I wonder what it is? Have you tried researching it? Was your window open that night, so maybe the curtains could have blown up from the wind? I don't doubt you saw the man though. I'm not sure who or what he was, but it doesn't sound like he meant to hurt you. It's possible that it was just a residual haunting... Sort of a replay of what he had done there in life.

Blessings,
DA
Jmak (6 stories) (156 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-23)
Hi,
Welcome to YGS, thank you for sharing this experience with us. Were you ever able to figure out what the figure was whispering? You said the symbol is still on the wall, is there any way that you could post a picture of it? Have you done any research into the house/land or the symbol? If so what did you find out? Please keep us updated. God bless.
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-22)
Its pretty scary, and do tell how do you manage to sleep at night after this experience...! The prayer was a good call... Thanks for sharing.

Regards & Prayers,
Logan
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-22)
It sounds like the previous owners didn't want to leave their home. I've heard of spirits being in their old residence when they have died tragically.

I don't think he meant you any harm, although I would have been just as scared as you.

Thanks for sharing

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: