You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Sleep With One Eye Open

Real Ghost Stories

Sleep With One Eye Open

 

My name is Josh, I am 23 years old and I recently moved to Tampa, FL. I only started considering the possibility of there being another side here last fall when my dad was raving about the show TAPS. I listened, but it was all too much for me to swallow at first. Apparitions and EVPs; what kind of bong water you been swimming in pops? But I have always had an open mind.

That night I went searching all over the net, and with respect to the quantity of fictitious garbage that can be found, I started to accept that not everything can be staged. I got more interested in hard documentation, opposed to personal stories. The little Japanese girl in the mirrors is the video clip that pulled me under. I got obsessive for like a week, literally bingeing on paranormal information. Finally, I had satisfied my curiosity, and my imagination cooled down, until it took me for a trip to the twilight zone a few weeks ago.

My girlfriend and I hit a pot-hole in our relationship, resulting in a terrible argument that sent me storming out on her. I have never done that, save this one evening. I called some friends and we met up in Temple Terrace to indulge in some beers. We did more talking than drinking, munched down a massive pizza next door to the bar, and drove to the nearest friends' residence.

My friends concluded that I should not go home until morning, as to let my head clear up before facing the obstacles that the old lady and I would need to overcome. It seemed logical, so I spent the night there in Rich's second story flat with him, his wife Nereyda, and their eleven year old Laura.

We relaxed and watched a movie together, and then naturally they retired to their rooms in the 2/1, roughly 700 square foot apartment. I'll have to double check its name; the apartment is in a complex right beside USF on the corner of 50th St. North and Fletcher. My best guess is that it was built in the sixties.

I sprawled out on their big red couch which faced a wall with a television to the right and sliding glass doors to a small balcony to the left. I lay with my head adjacent to the glass doors, which was fairly noticeable, as shards of light from a street lamp outside were cutting through the vertical blinds and the gap at their bottom. This and the digital clock on the DVD player allowed me to see all around the unlit room with reasonable definition.

I could make out the furniture, paintings and decor, the ceiling fan, and all the seams and corners of the room. I passed out around twelve-thirty, not really feeling the beer from hours earlier. With their blonde Pekinese, Snuggles, keeping my ventral side toasty, I remember getting to sleep with ease considering how stressed out I had been.

At what I later learned to be about 4:45 am, my rest was disturbed by Snuggles tearing off and growling. "Stupid dog, stupid cat somewhere. Whatever, going back to sleep." I turned toward the back of the couch unaffected. Then he let out a high pitched bark.

I counterpoised, opened my left eye, and froze like a Popsicle. I couldn't finish rolling over. I have and had never been so rigomortified in my life. A few seconds later I opened my other eye, confirming that there was indeed a seven or eight foot figure towering right over me.

Rich and Neri are well under six foot. It was lurched over staring me in the face, between me and the blinds; it was shrouded, all details concealed in silhouette, but as plain as day. I knew it was no dream because I could hear my pulse surging and feel the discomfort growing in On second thought, I kept one eye open that night, and sometimes still do.

My half turned spine. I kind of had to pee.

The dog didn't make another peep and the figure did not budge. After what seemed like hours, but was probably only twenty to thirty seconds, I was struck with a wave of adrenaline and swung a back-fist from under the sheets. Faster than the fastest fly, it premeditated my action the instant my arm began to move.

It streaked across the room without a sound and reconstituted on or against the wall that my feet pointed to. Then it slid slowly along the wall to the right, disappearing into the black hall.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, whatkilledthecat, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

StrangeAtNight (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-29)
Thats a shadowperson or shadowdemon... I met mine face to face 3-4 days ago... Changed my life bro... I was astral projecting and it didn't like me for that... Now I sleep with the light on and hold rosary beads when I sleep... Welcome to the one eye open sleep club... 1st rule of the club is don't tell anyone about it theyll think your freaking nuts!...but we won't judge you... Lol On the real you are braver than I was... I'm 29 year old 6ft 4 in man 250 pounds, pretty muscular... And I pretty much cried after my experience... At least you got a confirmed punch thrown on one...
StephanDragon (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-05)
from long experience of similar events "welcome to the club bro" it is freaky to wake up to someone staring at you. And can tell you this. To this day I sleep with a light on and I am 29 years old!
zozeen (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-18)
you have joined the 'sleep with one eye open club' lemme tell you why One night two weeks after my nan died I felt some one tuck me in I know my mum and dad where a sleep so I remember keeping one eye open so I can watch for my nan coming back. I think 😕
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-10)
whatkilledthecat: I'm some what familiar with streamwood. I believe it is near Barrington, IL which has indian burial grounds.

I believe you can post/re-tell others accounts. Just give em' credit:o)
whatkilledthecat (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-10)
My dad reminded me that the house he grew up in was in Streamwood, appearantly 30 minutes outside chicago. He thinks it was northwest. The street was Oldendorf. Should I attempt to post his story in first person? He gave me permission to do so but I don't know if that is acceptable by the sites standard
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-02-10)
"I was struck with a wave of adrenaline and swung a back-fist from under the sheets. Faster than the fastest fly", 😆
Sounds so funny, BRAVE that is all I will say, I would have probably laid there until the sun came up.
Nor_Cal_Girl (3 stories) (97 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-09)
I never thought of what lisamaxw said before, but it makes a lot lot lot of sense to me! That's defintely a scary experience, I don't think I would have had the courage to take a swing at that thing though! Let us know if anything else happens.
Thanks for the story!
rstahley (3 stories) (102 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-08)
Great story. It really scared me, though. Why is it that dogs can see ghosts? I've always wondered that. I'm afraid of the dark, so I would've probably kept that TV on all night.

Now, I'm curious to watch the Japanese video, but I'm going to wait until morning or until I'm home with my husband.
KelleVamp (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-07)
Shadow demons... They will stalk you sometimes.
If you're not careful. And I would do what bigragu said and stay away from that place.
bigragu42 (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-07)
that my friend was a shadow person or shadow demon. Considering the size, a powerful one at that. I would stay clear of that residense from now on.
Lavender (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-06)
See, you made me go watch that ghost girl video on YouTube. Indeed quite creepy! But indeed also, quite fake. Like watching The Ring or something.😨

Bon weekend everyone!
southpole21559 (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-06)
im sorta new to this website, but I've had a lot of experiences, and I'm only 14 years old. Your story was interesting. While I was reading it, I was frozen solid as I read what you had wrote. I've had the same experience before. (well, except for the being partially drunk, and staying with my friend.) I'm going to add my stories as soon as they make it possible. I think you should check it out
nmg5789 (2 stories) (48 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-06)
your story was very interesting. I would have been so scared! I have never actually seen anything paranormal, but I have definately experienced things. You can read my stories to find out about them and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me at any time!

😁
Lisamaxw (92 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-06)
WKTC, who's to say it was attached to the house rather than to YOU? A couple of clues: (1) an unusual outburst of anger toward your girlfriend after you'd been doing some paranormal research (I believe that some entities feed off negative energy); and (2) you had been drinking, which lowers inhibitions and makes you more succeptible to influence. I'm not suggesting that you were hallucinating or drunk. I'm suggesting that showing an interest in the paranormal may make us more attractive to it. It may "color our auras," or whatever, when we delve into the spiritual world; and these parnormal things recognize our auras as attractive, so they become attached to us. Maybe something took a liking to your aura and decided to hitch a ride. Just an idea. Please let us know how things progress.

L.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-05)
Welcome to YGS! I enjoyed your story very much. I was your editor on this peice, I don't think I whacked it, just corrected some spelling and grammar. ANyway, that is beside the point, I to would be interested to hear your fathers perspective on the paranormal and what lead him to watch the documentaries.

By the way, I think mentioning this pccurance to Rich would be the right thing to do as you were a guest in his home when this happened.

God Bless!
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-05)
Hi Josh, and welcome to YGS!

Your experience sounds really unnerving, but doesn't seem like anything more than a shadowperson. (A very tall one at that...) They don't really do any harm to people other than scaring them half to death.

The Japanese girl video is fake? I had a feeling but I wasn't sure... 😆 don't I feel stupid.

Blessings,
DA
whatkilledthecat (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-05)
hobbyholly: I'll refresh my memory with him sunday, and do my best to write his story in his words. I definitely won't forget to include the exact place.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-05)
Chicago? 😊 My family lives in Lincolnwood. Beautiful place!

Please DO post his experiences. I would love to read them!
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-04)
I would have cover myself over my head if I had seen this thing lend over me. Swear I had seen the hooded figure since 1991 in my own trailer. Yeah that creepy and sure poor dog scare of it. Welcome to yourghoststories.com
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-04)
whatkilledthecat: you can communicate directly with users. I don't have my email posted in my profile for privacy reasons. So sadly, yes you'll have to talk to me via the comment boards.

I was just wanting to know what chicago suburb your father lives/lived in. Chicago... Well really Illinois haunts really interest me
hazzardsyndrome (10 stories) (121 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-04)
oh my freaking goodness, your story scared the hell out of me! I have no idea what I would have done, probably try to throw the dog at it then stick my head under the cover and cry until morning
Thanks for sharing, I'm very creeped out now, I think I'l wait awhile before turning my light off 😲
whatkilledthecat (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-04)
Thank you all by the way, this will be fun. I'm really looking forward to it as a matter of fact 😊
whatkilledthecat (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-04)
By the way, can I communicate directly with specific users, such as you hobbyholly, or are these commentaries the only way?
whatkilledthecat (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-04)
I'll be seeing my family this weekend in Port Charlotte. Rather than guess around about any details, Ill gather all the facts from him and share them next week, promise. I'm sure he'd be happy to be the source of a discussion and allow me to take detailed notes.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-04)
"They are pertaining to Illinois, Chicago suburbs involving indian burial sites. He claims to have lived on a grave site."

I have lived in the city of chicago, and now the suburbs of chicago. Which suburbs?
whatkilledthecat (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-04)
Honestly, I did. Even though it's fake it sure made me think. Embarrassed now.

Any way I worry that if I bring it up to Rich, he'll get spooked about a demon in his house, or in me. You ever known people so religious you have to 'tread carefully'? I will eventually, after considering the best of possible approaches.

Like the title indicates, I keep an eye out now. I never saw it coming which bothers me internally, so now I'm more or less paranoid about them being around invisibly. I don't think I'll lose my sanity over it though, as mine was a relatively gentle experience.

As for my dad, yeah he has told me his stories. I dunno, should I put them on here for him? I know he wouldn't, since he never uses computers. They are pertaining to Illinois, Chicago suburbs involving indian burial sites. He claims to have lived on a grave site.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-02-04)
Oh, that was rude of me. I forgot to welcome you to the site and say that I really liked your story!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-04)
So you thought that evps and personal encounters with ghosts and the unknown are bogus so you then literally fell for the fakest of all videos-the Japanese girl at the mirror... 😆. Sorry couldn't help it!

Like my fellow poster Hobbyholly I was wondering about a few things such as whether you have discussed your "little incident" with your friends as well as whether you've asked them about their own, if any, experiences in the house.

You say your dad was watching a documentary about the paranormal. Have you ever asked him why he watches such documentaries? It might be interesting to hear what he has to say.

Final question for the moment if I may... What would your new approach be to this strange experience of yours? What does it mean to YOU to keep an "open mind" when it comes to the "other side"?
whatkilledthecat (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-04)
My story got whacked up some by the editors. I chose not to bring it up to Rich because he's a bit of a Jesus freak. I think I will if ghost topics come up in conversation, or once he moves his family to the house their buying. I was unable to go back to sleep, but Snuggles did after staring down the hall for a while. I didn't exactly punch it, merely swung. It moved away before I could even get my arm out from under the quilt. It was quite chilly that night to begin with so I don't recall it making me cold, or any other sensations other than being caught off guard and scared prickly.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-04)
So you punched it... Then what?

Did you discuss it with your friends? Did you go back to sleep? When punching it, did you feel anything?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: