You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Dark Presence And Sleep Paralysis

Real Ghost Stories

Dark Presence And Sleep Paralysis

 

About 18 years ago, I was living in a small town in Ontario as a missionary. My missionary companion and I were eating dinner with an Italian family. There was a young teenage boy in the family who was being bothered by a shadow for many years. The shadow seemed to be around the boy a lot, not just in the house. He said he could feel its presence around the corner out of our view even as we sat talking at the dinner table. Even the mother had seen this shadow. She described how she woke up in the middle of the night once and saw it pass her bedroom door down the hallway to her son's room, and that she got up and followed it and told it to leave her son alone. This constant presence made the boy depressed. They had priests bless the boy and drive the shadow away, but these were usually temporary results.

To help cheer up the boy, my missionary companion and I invited him to stay the night at our home. Now, I have had sleep paralysis experiences a couple of times previous to that night, but at that time, I did not know what they were. I would wake up seemingly conscious, but not able to move, and I would feel a depressing, scary feeling in the room. Well on this particular night, the three of us fell asleep. We were all in the same room. Some time in the middle of the night, I woke up seemingly conscious but completely frozen. I could open my eyes, and I heard this buzz or ringing. I also felt this dark, frightening presence... Much stronger than I have ever felt before. That sleep paralysis experience was the most vivid and intense of any of those experiences I've ever had. Eventually I was freed, and I could move. At first I was afraid to move or look, but I finally sat up and looked around and both the boy and my companion were sleeping. I still felt uneasy, but I went back to bed.

The next morning I asked how the boy slept, and he seemed positive.

I haven't had a sleep paralysis experience for at least a dozen years. But I always wondered about the connection of that experience happening on that night when the boy slept at our house.

Other hauntings by SpiritusMoJo

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SpiritusMoJo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Disciple (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-06)
I have had a couple of experiences. One where I was sleeping. It was a dream but felt like it was really happening. This thing took over my body. And I saw myself. I was outside of my body. I saw myself saying things. I knew they were curses though. About murder. My body started to levitate and it was placed next to my closet door. Another instance (this morning) I turned over from my back to my belly and I was paralyzed. I opened my eyes everything changed from color to grey and black. It was insane. I had been actually calling on spirits the night before. I actually wanted it. It was intimidating but if you go along with it. It isn't too bad. I haven't really seen much though. So I couldn't say. Anyways NICE stories everyone. Ttyl
starchang (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-05)
I am trying to help a friend who has been tormented by the same evil entities since she was 2. It happens during sleep paralysis and it is terrifying. I would really like some advice on how to get rid of them... Dont know if she'll go for the knife thing but I will mention it

Btw the buzzing sound is your own energy, you can learn how to control it and tone it down... Check out teachings from Robert Bruce. Sleep paralysis is the gateway to an outer body experience
paranormgirl005 (2 stories) (31 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-06)
this is freaky, I just read a story that said they also heard some kind of buzzing or humming...
That person also was talking about sleep paralysis...
Maybe it is sleep paralysis, but it could also be something else...
raingrl01 (5 stories) (151 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-06)
The shadow was probably upset that you tried to interfere. If you don't mind me asking, has the boy rid himself of the shadow? Just curious. Great story and thanks for sharing! ❤
Michael331 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-05)
I've experienced the buzzing noise and dark presence as well, but with it I was able to move. It's happened twice since I moved into the house I live in now (1 1/2 years ago) and both times the buzzing started and filled the room and it seemed as though there was an ethereal glow to the room. I was terrified to move but could. I felt the bed cover move a bit... Just enough to notice, and then whatever was in the room with me started moving around the room in a circular fashion--like it was doing laps. These experiences lasted around a half an hour (or so it seemed) and then would suddenly stop. When I was 17 (I'm 29 now), I had a similar experience, with what felt like a dark sinister figure hanging from the ceiling just watching me. No noise that time though. Anyone have any idea what I've experienced? I'm not convinced that it was sleep paralysis only because I could physically move around the whole time this was happening.
StrangeAtNight (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-03)
I have similar experiences myself quite frequently. I find sleeping with rosary beads in my hand and praying before bed has helped to keep the instances down. Sleeping on my side or stomach also decreases the instances by more than 80% of the time. Check out my story about an extreme experience I had with what you describe as as a dark presence or "sleep paralysis". I believe sometimes people are able to astral project naturally, like myself, in the first 30-40 minutes of "falling" asleep and sometimes they can attract these dark figures as they have an out of body experience. It could be these shadows think we are dying and maybe see our souls somewhat separating from our bodies and they are tricked somehow... Who knows... Just my theory on it because my shadow looked like the grim reaper without a face and minus the scythe.
longmoua (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-02)
I've never experienced sleep paralysis before, but a lot of members in my immediate family have. In my culture, I have been raised to believe that when a person experiences sleep paralysis, It is a specter trying to do you harm. In some cases, the person may even find it hard to breathe.

One thing I've heard is that if you sleep on your back in a straight position, It's more likely to occur than if you lay on your side. The reasoning for this is because, when we lay our dead down, we lay them on their back in a straight position. A person sleeping on their back in a straight position may unintentionally insult a specter.

Our way of preventing this from happening, is to set a SHEATHED "Hmong Knife" (Google Image) under your pillow before you go to sleep. And from what I hear, it works. It's all cultural and not religious, so you don't have to worry about not believing in our religion. It's exactly like hanging up a dream catcher.

**A safer way to do it and the way I would reccomend you to do it is to set the knife in between the matress and the box frame.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: