You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Strange Wire In The Graveyard

Real Ghost Stories

A Strange Wire In The Graveyard

 

This is my first post on this website. I'm a believer in the paranormal (obviously) although I haven't had any huge experiences myself. I've had a few minor ones and this one is one of them.

My experience took place a day ago. I've been living in Galway, Ireland on a foreign studies type thing. The lady I'm staying with lives by this old, decrepit graveyard. I've been exploring there and the latest date I could read was from 1887 meaning that there were no dates from the 1900's or later. (Most of the headstones/ tombs are eroded past recognition) I've always liked it there and I find it very interesting to sit there and just relax. It's really green and I get a strange sense of peace, which I've always found a little odd seeing how it's a graveyard. Anyways, I took my friends there the other day to show them and they liked it there too, although they seemed to think I was a little weird for feeling safe and peaceful.

We went to the back of the graveyard and sat down on one of the tomb like things. It was basically a big headstone that was lying on the ground with the words facing up. It was off the ground a little bit because the grass had eroded away, leaving a small gap in between the stone and the ground. The day before my friend had lent me a small pair of portable speakers and he asked for them back so I dug into my back pack and got them. The wires were tangled up so he untangled them and wrapped them around each the speakers.

At that point I stood up to stretch my legs and I took a step away from the headstone. My other friend stopped me saying that the wire was still attached to my jacket pocket. I thought it was weird because I saw my other friend wrapping them up so I took another step away and the wire stretched with me and then fell to the ground and receded very quickly into the space below the grave. I didn't see it but both of my friends did. It for sure was not the wire because my friend had it wrapped up in his hands.

I'm curious as to what you guys think might've happened. It was weird because I felt no tugging as the wire dropped and I still felt just as safe and secure as usual. My friends on the other hand were a little freaked out so we left right away. What are your thoughts?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MrZach, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cocacolazero (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-14)
Go back to the grave yard and dig it, where the wire went down then you will know! I know Galway well!
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-30)
This is a strange story. I was wondering what people made of it when it was posted. I don't really see the paranormal aspect in a wire or something that looked like a wire falling out of a pocket. But the reason I am commenting is because of the misinformation in the comments. The "cages" over graves have nothing to do with the person inside, they were put there to keep out graverobbers. People stole from the dead for profit, usually to take their jewelry to pawn or worse to sell their bodies to science. When that was no longer a serious threat the use of the cage-like grave topper went out of fashion & when people don't know the use of something they guess, thus the stories.
iamalivingsign (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-03)
Hello I was just wondering what cemetery in Galway you were in. Was it in Mervue or Rahoon?
Thegrinch17 (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-25)
It's not strange at all that you felt at peace & relaxed in the graveyard. There was a graveyard I used to go to all the time just to walk around & relax after a stressful day. I always felt so peaceful & calm there, it's a beautiful place. I always went during the day & nothing had ever happened but I ended up going in there once around dusk. BIG MISTAKE! Read my story about my experience if you would like.
It's very strange about that wire that grabbed at you then went down into a grave! Did it look like it was being pulled into it, like how a person would do? Very strange & I wouldn't go back there! YIKES! 😲 ❤
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-27)
I seen a few of those tombs whitebuffalo and Tonith mention. The lagend about the witch is in a way true but also part false. The cage over a tomb is an olden ritural. When a person had die (Now talking about if any one died) A really evil person who had died and if their spirte rises. The spirte would be like a killer that could not be seen. They use the cage to bind that perticuler spirte to its grave. If the cage is remove then the spirte runs free. Remember this is not a spirte that is just a simple killer or rapest. They had to do worst things. E-mail me if you have to ask about what this means if you don't understand. Dragongod101 [at] hotmail.com
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-19)
I actually saw one of those types of graves that you are talking about, Tonith. ONCE. I was so curious about it that I sought out the answers from just about EVERYONE in the area who would let me bend their ear. I got much the same response as YOU, that it was the resting place of a supposed witch and that the community had been so frightened that she would again gain life that they "locked her in".
Wanna know something "funny"? I came to find out that Yes, it was to deter the removal of the body. But not on her own terms, but that of the elders in the community, as so many people who claimed to never want to touch the hem of her gown (and who would steer clear and walk all the way on the other side of the street if they saw her coming-even though the shop they wanted to go into was on that same side) continued to try to steal something OUT of her resting place. In order to keep others OUT, they "fenced" her IN.
Amazing how truth can be masked by suspicion. I am STILL wondering if she actually WAS a witch (though, to me, what would that MATTER?) or just an assumed one.
Huh, and I thought it was a "unique" experience... 😆

Please excuse the interruption, MrZach, that comment just caught my attention.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-19)
I find all graveyards peaceful but the unkempt ones tend to be a bit creepy. I was in one that had a wrought iron cage type thing over the grave and the urban legend is that it was the grave of a known witch. I don't know if that's true about the witch deal but it was the only grave I ever saw that had one of these things on it. Perhaps it was a flower trellis? Wire would have accomplished the same thing but this wasn't wire but heavy metal.
Sorry I digress, I don't know if your friends were having some fun with you but you can't confirm what you didn't see. If the wire was stretched when you stood up I would think you would have felt it leave your pocket and it should have been lying on the ground. It may have been attached to something between the ground and the gravestone and when you got up you dragged it with you and whatever it was originally caught on could have drawn it back again. Wires can snap back from tension. All this said you didn't really see it happen and all you have is their word on it. I hope they were not having some fun at your expense.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-17)
Oh no, no, no. How would a grave yard NOT be peaceful? That is not so odd. If it were NOT peaceful, THEN it would be odd. One of the safest places in the world is IN a protected grave yard. Nothing can hurt you there.
It IS possible that you MAY have had something ELSE in your pocket that resembled a wire, is it not? And that it "fell" into the space left by the receding grasses and GRAVITY pulled it in.
OR it could be, as Lisa said. You did not see it. You were TOLD that it happened, but felt nothing.
It's just...
Pull a prank on the guy who is not from here, type of thing. My children do crazy things with the exchanges, too. Personally, I would not put too much stock into this.
Do whatever research you can, but do not feed an illusion. Keep a level head and go about it without any of your preconceived notions following you there.
If you want the TRUTH, you have to forget what you think you know, and be ready to learn something you never thought you would. MAYBE you will find something.
Thank you.
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
-2
15 years ago (2009-04-17)
Well Feeling at peace in a graveyard is both normal and not. It could be a sign of death to come. Well the ghost of the tombstone your sat on must of did it. They always scear people who sit on there tomb, I bet if you sat there again, somthing else would happen.
MrZach (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-17)
If only I could get a recorder for some EVP... Oh well. X]

And I thought of that after I left, the whole sitting on the tomb thing. I agree that was a bad call. I do know though, my friends weren't playing a joke on me, they were too sincere for it to be a joke and they would've already told me if it was.
DollyDagger (4 stories) (31 posts)
-1
15 years ago (2009-04-17)
See I told you Zach, that wasn't the best thing to sit on XD next time maybe you should just sit on the ground like you do back home
Lisa66 (1 stories) (54 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-16)
Hi MrZach,

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm wondering though if there's any chance the two of them could be trying to pull something on you since they think it's odd you feel comfortable there? Just trying to freak you out a little so to speak. You say you didn't feel anything tug on your clothes so is that a possibility?
And just a side note... Why were you sitting on a tomb? Probably not the most respectful thing you could be doing. If indeed your friends are telling you the truth, perhaps this may have something to do with the experience... Just a thought.
DollyDagger (4 stories) (31 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-16)
Oh okay I finally get it Zach. So what they thought was the wire was actually a ghost like thing that was next or attached to your pocket that went back into the grave.
I really honestly don't know what to tell you. I find it very interesting. Maybe EVP work could be done there?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: