You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Man in the Window

Real Ghost Stories

The Man in the Window

 

Now, some people call me a liar. Others tell me that I was too young to know what I saw. I wasn't. To me, a 9 year old kid doesn't make up something this big. It all started one day in our hotel. I live in Illinois, but I was staying at a hotel with my parents in Colorado. The hotel was very new; not even a year old. After dinner, my parents and grandparents went with me downstairs to the pool. My grandparents and my dad watched me swim while my mom went outside to soak in the hot tub.

This pool was your average indoor pool, except the walls were different. They were almost like clear plastic, except they were windows, so you were able to see outside. It was really late out, so it was pitch black when you tried to look out. You could only see a dim reflection of the pool and the chairs.

A little while later, my dad left with my grandparents to go back to their house. My grandparents went upstairs, while my dad went outside to get my mom. I got out of the pool while they were gone and looked at my reflection in the glass. I saw myself, but then I saw something else. I squinted and looked in closer. I saw a man!

Now this is where I started to reconsider my sanity. I blinked and looked around. I was completely alone. I looked at a different window to make sure that I wasn't seeing someone else that was outside. I couldn't see anything. I looked back at the window. I saw myself, and then as I looked deeper, I saw the man. He was smaller than a regular sized person, like he was far away. The man seemed almost like he was transparent, and was in the air. Then I started to feel really cold.

His shoes were black, and he was wearing black trousers. He had a white shirt, like one of those man blouses from way back when. He also wore a black tailcoat and was wearing a top hat. He looked like he was around 40 or so. He was walking slowly, and his head was down. I continued staring. Then he looked at me.

Just then my mom opened the back door. I jumped. "Michelle, are you OK?" she asked. I didn't tell her what I saw. No one in my family believes in ghosts, and neither do I. It really freaked me out, though. I asked her if anyone was outside. She said she was the only one out there. I tried to push it out of my mind, but I couldn't. A little while later, I looked again. He was still there. I jumped into the pool and tried not to think about it.

Eventually, my mom and I left. As we did, the fire alarm went off. We went upstairs to find out that it was a false alarm, but no one had pulled the alarm. They didn't know how it happened. It really freaked me out. For the rest of the night, I had a weird feeling. It was like someone was watching me, but not in a bad way.

I don't believe in the paranormal, but I have a feeling. If it was a ghost, maybe the hotel was new because it was rebuilt. Maybe a long time ago, there was a hotel in that spot. It burned down, and many people died. That ghost that I saw could have been a man who died in the fire who came back to keep the same tragedy from happening again. Do you think so? Tell me what you think it was.

Thank you so much!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

Grav3yardgirl1403 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-04)
I know many people who have seen things but were never able to give a full description of what they had seen. If this is true and if you did see a ghost I find it amazing how many details you could take in.
InvestigatorHAWK (9 posts)
-3
13 years ago (2010-12-17)
I find this story preposterous. Your early phrasing set me off. "It all started...". THAT was clue number one; the reconsideration of sanity is clearly a tactic to get pity and belief using rationalization. The description is too detailed. You say you had to squint to see him. How then could you make out that much detail? Down to his shoes even? It was dark "pitch black" and yet you saw all the colors perfectly? And the icing on the cake is; you picked out and led all to a conclusion by saying quote:

"I don't believe in the paranormal, but I have a feeling. If it was a ghost, maybe the hotel was new because it was rebuilt. "Maybe" a long time ago, there was a hotel in that spot. It burned down, and many people died. That ghost that I saw could have been a man who died in the fire who came back to keep the same tragedy from happening again."

Your verbose is off; indicating a shift in story away from the original and the creation of an idea as you wrote. Maybe and then conclusiveness. Sloppiness. This is a fake.
PrincessKatie (7 stories) (420 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-27)
That's freaky he might of been trying to tell you something. Ghost can do strange things. Be scared if I saw a ghost in the window I rather it be near me than staring out of the window at me LOL. I enjoyed reading your story thanks for sharing it with us. It was interesting.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
-1
17 years ago (2007-09-12)
Michelle,
you are the only to know what you saw. I believe you may have saw an entity and usually when seen, there is a reason, especially when you mention the false fire alarm.

do not doubt your senses.

God Bless!
Jodi (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-03)
Maybe it was a ghost from the past you may never know. He could've have been trying to tell you something.
Hayden (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-03)
Perhaps there were pool lights causing a reflection in the window. So I'm a bit confused, you saw the man as a smaller part of your reflection?

And as for the chill, people tend to get cold when their nervous.

Many people pull fire alarms and aren't caught.
Tom (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-02)
maybe he set off the fire alarm to lead you outside?
...
Fran (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-02)
It could have been some pervert staring at you from a far. Maybe that's why you felt uncomfortable I know I would and if he looked far away he probably was. Freak!( not you the child predator).
M. (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-01)
Michelle,
You could be right! There could have been a hotel there from along time ago. Time repeats itself when terrible things occur any where in the world. You might be psyhic and can see this man from the past.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: